2015 U.S. Cruise Critic Editors' Picks Awards (Ocean)

qsuzi

Best New Ship: Viking Star (Viking Ocean Cruises)

Best Ship Refurbishment: Star Breeze (Windstar Cruises)

Best for Luxury: Crystal Cruises

Best for Families: Royal Caribbean International

Best Itineraries: Azamara Club Cruises

Best for Adventure: Un-Cruise Adventures

Best Value-for-Money: Carnival Cruise Line

Best Dining: Celebrity Cruises

Best Entertainment: Royal Caribbean International

Best Suites: Royal Caribbean International

Best Inside Cabins: Disney Cruise Line

Best Standard Cabins: MSC Cruises

Best Shore Excursions: Azamara Club Cruises

Best for Romance: Windstar Cruises

Best Nightlife: Norwegian Cruise Line

Best North American Homeport: Port Canaveral

Best New Ship: Viking Star (Viking Ocean Cruises)

Best Ship Refurbishment: Star Breeze (Windstar Cruises)

Best for Luxury: Crystal Cruises

Best for Families: Royal Caribbean International

Best Itineraries: Azamara Club Cruises

Best for Adventure: Un-Cruise Adventures

Best Value-for-Money: Carnival Cruise Line

Best Dining: Celebrity Cruises

Best Entertainment: Royal Caribbean International

Best Suites: Royal Caribbean International

Best Inside Cabins: Disney Cruise Line

Best Standard Cabins: MSC Cruises

Best Shore Excursions: Azamara Club Cruises

Best for Romance: Windstar Cruises

Best Nightlife: Norwegian Cruise Line

Best North American Homeport: Port Canaveral

Best for evoking a bygone elegance at competitive pricing while appealing to older-than-average but still cruise-savvy clients: HAL

How is Pt. Canaveral the best North American homeport? :confused: There's nothing around it, and unless you drive, you have to fly into Orlando and then take a long shuttle road to and fro. Any insights here? What am I missing? Seattle, San Diego, and Ft. Lauderdale have so much more to offer, and getting to and from the port is easy.

Roz

How is Pt. Canaveral the best North American homeport? :confused: There's nothing around it, and unless you drive, you have to fly into Orlando and then take a long shuttle road to and fro. Any insights here? What am I missing? Seattle, San Diego, and Ft. Lauderdale have so much more to offer, and getting to and from the port is easy.

Roz

] Nothing against Port Canaveral but I don't see it as a 'best'. It is highly inconvenient for many travelers. There are airports that are far closer to ports, more convenient flights to many major (and not so major) cities. Not so much in comparison to other ports as to what is nearby and of general interest.

The Cruise Critic Editors' Picks Awards are chosen by Cruise Critic's international team of editors, based on the lines and ships they feel best represent excellence in each of the designated categories. Awards announced October 2015.

I didn't see anything in the article that stated what criteria they used.

Edited by qsuzi

Thank you, qsuzi. :)

Disappointing the poor showing re: HAL.

I would have liked to see the criteria they used. IMHO the review has limited value. One would hope most or all of those picking have had sufficient experience and knowledge of all the categories they rated.

Edited by qsuzi

I'm taking my first river cruise next month and it's on Uniworld, so it was encouraging that they received 3 awards. Don't really understand the poor showing by HAL.

Roz

I'm taking my first river cruise next month and it's on Uniworld, so it was encouraging that they received 3 awards. Don't really understand the poor showing by HAL.

Roz

We've been thinking about taking our first river cruise but have just started our research. Ugh I'll check out Uniworld :) We have specific criteria such as them listing a price with and without airfare and with and without excursions.

Edited by qsuzi

We've been thinking about taking our first river cruise but have just started our research. Ugh I'll check out Uniworld :) We have specific criteria such as them listing a price with and without airfare and with and without excursions.

Check out Tauck. They are excellent. And if the boat cannot get under the bridges due to high water (happens fairly often) they will put you into a 5* hotel.

Roz

We really enjoyed Uniworld.:)

But it's not on an ocean!

Edited by Vict0riann

Roz

Great point! How 'bout Vancouver, Tampa, Boston, Quebec City....................Pt Canaveral is in the middle of nowhere

Check out Tauck. They are excellent. And if the boat cannot get under the bridges due to high water (happens fairly often) they will put you into a 5* hotel.

I'll check Tauck out for sure. Thanks Lizzie

Great point! How 'bout Vancouver, Tampa, Boston, Quebec City....................Pt Canaveral is in the middle of nowhere

Maybe YOU should be one of the "Editors' Experts"? Bet you've been to most of the ports and on many different cruise lines.

Maybe YOU should be one of the "Editors' Experts"? Bet you've been to most of the ports and on many different cruise lines.

Don't know about that, but I have been to Port Canaveral and there's nothing around there until you get to the beach cities or Orlando in central Fla

Don't know about that, but I have been to Port Canaveral and there's nothing around there until you get to the beach cities or Orlando in central Fla

Just noticed your list of cruise lines :o Is HAL your personal cruise line of choice? Do you generally get to pick which cruise line you will be working on?

Edited by qsuzi

Just noticed your list of cruise lines :o Is HAL your personal cruise line of choice? Do you generally get to pick which cruise line you will be working on?

It was my understanding that Copper 10-8 is employed by HAL only..:confused: If I'm mistaken I'm sure someone will correct me..

Happy cruising & thanks qsuzi for posting that info.. Agree with others that unless you are a family with kids cruising on RCCL or Carnival you would not want to go to Port Canaveral .. However, the Space Center is very close to it even though Disney is 45 miles away.. Also Dixie Crossroads one of my favorite restaurants is close by, but be prepared to wait for a table..

Edited by serendipity1499

Far be it for me to disagree with the CC Editors but we find much to disagree with in their selections. Having been to just about every cruise port in North America we would rate Port Canaveral far from the best home port. The biggest problem is its location 45 miles from the nearest half decent airport! And the situation is much worse for many international travelers who must often fly into Miami (to get the best airfares) and then have to trek over 200 miles north to this port.

As to the cruise line selections we do agree with leaving HAL out of the picture since this once excellent line has been victimized by a management team that seems to have made "cut backs" the basis of much decision making. But we do think that HAL actually has better itineraries than Azamara. And some would argue that Oceania also has better itineraries then Azamara (an excellent line). We found it interesting that Crystal made the list as this line seems to often be forgotten when folks talk about ultra-luxury lines. Our own experience on Crystal was excellent.

Hank

Far be it for me to disagree with the CC Editors but we find much to disagree with in their selections. Having been to just about every cruise port in North America we would rate Port Canaveral far from the best home port. The biggest problem is its location 45 miles from the nearest half decent airport! And the situation is much worse for many international travelers who must often fly into Miami (to get the best airfares) and then have to trek over 200 miles north to this port.

As to the cruise line selections we do agree with leaving HAL out of the picture since this once excellent line has been victimized by a management team that seems to have made "cut backs" the basis of much decision making. But we do think that HAL actually has better itineraries than Azamara. And some would argue that Oceania also has better itineraries then Azamara (an excellent line). We found it interesting that Crystal made the list as this line seems to often be forgotten when folks talk about ultra-luxury lines. Our own experience on Crystal was excellent.

Hank

I have not been to Port Canaveral so am not in a position to make a judgment but many on this thread agree with you. Based on your posts I was aware of your extensive cruising and experience with various cruise lines. I find your comparisons informational. I was loyal to Princess up until about 5 years ago, started sailing them again last year and now mostly sail Princess and HAL with RCL once recently. I am eager to compare our recent Westerdam cruise when we sail the Crown Princess in December.

Edited by qsuzi

It was my understanding that Copper 10-8 is employed by HAL only..:confused: If I'm mistaken I'm sure someone will correct me..

Happy cruising & thanks qsuzi for posting that info.. Agree with others that unless you are a family with kids cruising on RCCL or Carnival you would not want to go to Port Canaveral .. However, the Space Center is very close to it even though Disney is 45 miles away.. Also Dixie Crossroads one of my favorite restaurants is close by, but be prepared to wait for a table..

Thanks Serendipity. :)