Celebrity Final account?

cruisine21

We recently finished a Celebrity Solstice cruise on the 22nd Sept. Our final onboard account was US$435.75. The amount charged to my credit card was Aus$749.41. We did not purchase anything after I received the account statement. If I call Celebrity will they be able to check the account?

We have only had this happen once on a Celebrity ship and I'm very sorry to say that the member of staff deliberately overcharged us fortunately I picked up the overcharge before we left the ship even though we had already paid our account in full. Celebrity corrected the error. Our error occurred when we bought a round of drinks late on the last evening of the cruise. Sometimes late charges are due to anything that you may have used from your room fridge. Good luck getting it sorted.

We have only had this happen once on a Celebrity ship and I'm very sorry to say that the member of staff deliberately overcharged us fortunately I picked up the overcharge before we left the ship even though we had already paid our account in full. Celebrity corrected the error. Our error occurred when we bought a round of drinks late on the last evening of the cruise. Sometimes late charges are due to anything that you may have used from your room fridge. Good luck getting it sorted.

We didn't use anything from the fridge.

We recently finished a Celebrity Solstice cruise on the 22nd Sept. Our final onboard account was US$435.75. The amount charged to my credit card was Aus$749.41. We did not purchase anything after I received the account statement. If I call Celebrity will they be able to check the account?
Yes. We are in the USA, but the few times when that happened to us, the difference was only a relatively small amount each time and they were able to look it up and tell us exactly what it was.

Each time for us it turned out to be a minibar charge that had been billed in error, and they took it off immediately and issued us a credit.

We now ask to have our minibar completely emptied and the contents taken away on the first day of each cruise.

Since we started doing this, we have had no more billing discrepancies.

I keep all receipts until final bill arrives thus I have proof of what we purchased. I have had a few charges for drinks in the theater which were not ours and had them removed. Also, I get copy of bill the last night of cruise and check it thoroughly.

I keep all receipts until final bill arrives thus I have proof of what we purchased. I have had a few charges for drinks in the theater which were not ours and had them removed. Also, I get copy of bill the last night of cruise and check it thoroughly.

The last bill we received is correct but we were charged a different amount.

Edited by cruisine21

That is some crazy exchange rate!!! It works out to be about $1.72 for $1.00 USD. I think the conversion should have been more like $1.35 or so. Don't know for certain as I haven't checked the AUS rate compared to the CDN rate. In January they were very similar.

snow bunny

Just checked an exchange calculator and it should have been around $600 AUS.

Edited by snow bunny
More info

We've experienced that too and have requested a revised itemized bill so that we could determine why there was a discrepancy. It turned out that we were charged for bar items we hadn't taken and the charges were reversed. Reading the various boards, this seems to be a fairly common occurrence on many cruise lines.

Is that at all close to the exchange rate? We are Canadian and a few times the messed up and even though we said to charge our card in USD they still set up our account so that they took the USD amount and converted it to CDN and then charged our card. Their exchange rate was not as favorable to us as if the had charged us the USD amount and let my card convert. There normally is a line at the bottom of you account that says whether you will be charged in UsD or if they are going to convert to the currency of your card. I now also get a copy of the account in the first few days and double check to make sure that is right.

Yes, there is an "after cruise" department that can email you a copy of your final bill, and they can go over it with you. I had this happen once, and it was taken care of very promptly and pleasantly.

I'm sorry, I don't have the number for that department, but if you call "Captain's Club" at 1-800-760-0654 and explain your problem, I'm sure they can get you to the correct department. The "after cruise" resolutions department may not be open on the weekend.

Do you receive a paper bill before the end of the cruise, or are you expected to try to reconcile against the television version?
We almost always receive a paper printout that they slip under our door (or leave in the mail holder outside the door) early on the final morning of the cruise.

If you do not get one, you can call Guest Relations to request it and they will send it up to you.

We always want one to take home with us so we can compare the final balance on their printout with the charge that shows up on our credit card statement.

I am guessing what happens in a lot of cases is that people just glance at their final balance, and then when they later see the amount on their credit card statement, they don't recall what the exact amount should be so just figure it is close enough and let it go without saying anything,

(or even if they realize it is wrong, don't bother to contest it if the overcharge is only a small amount).

Edited by varoo

Make sure you get something in writing from them about the charges being removed. Email may be a better way to go so you have a thread. We were overcharged $1400 on an RC cruise. I called and they credited my account after researching and finding it was someone else's bill. I thought all was good and they adjusted my credit card before we even got the statement. A year later we started getting really nasty calls from a collection agency. Apparently they had never found the 'other' party and not removed our information and so RC turned us over to a collection agency. We had not received anything from RC during that year indicating there was an issue. So now, we had to go over it again with RC and get them to contact the collection agency to make it stop. We also sent a registered letter to the collection agency proving we did not owe the monies. Meantime we had these collection calls going on for about a month. They were incredibly rude and insulting deliberately trying to get a reaction. Fortunately my husband took the calls and he has the ability to tune that out. Anyway, get everything in writing. To wrap the issue up, I had RC send me a letter indicating what happened and how it was resolved so if it bubbled up again, we had documentation beyond an adjusted credit card statement.

We have been charged incorrect amounts after final billing . Both small potatoes .Once for a mini-fridge amount (which we had requested to be emptied) and the other for a miscellaneous soda . The first we had reversed with a simple call to customer service .

Please let us know your outcome . Good luck

Edited by richstowe

We were on the Summit this past August. We always got our bill receipt placed either under the door or on the door. I realized when we got home I didn't have that receipt. I called and they emailed me a copy. Was charged for something in the fridge which we didn't even open and a drink by the pool bar was given a tip which we decided we didn't want to bc of the service. I called Celebrity and they refunded the difference. Luckily I kept all my receipts from things purchased on the cruise.

Thanks for the information on the printed folios. That makes more sense than the "you can check your account on the television" responses. I can imagine that it's hard to reconcile your charges to the television screen. All I could think of is a line of passengers down at the front desk with their PowerPoint presentations. "On screen 3, you can see that I was charged for Gelato and a cookie. However, here's a picture of my wife and I on the excursion at the time of the alleged 'Gelato Incident.")