Anthem - Food in The Grande

Ukap

Hello,

With reference to your comment about not having to dress up on the first night, what is the minimum dress code that is acceptable?

We are embarking on Anthem on Saturday & will be travelling in jeans etc & have booked into the Grande for the 1st night.

Our hope is that our luggage will arrive in time & we will change & dress accordingly but what if it doesn't arrive in time .....? We have got quite an early dining time.

Joan

On first night smart casual is enough in Grande. Copied from Anthem Cruise planner site:

Skirts or pants (with no holes, rips or tears) and a sweater or blouse are appropriate for women.

Pants (with no holes, rips or tears) and a sports shirt (must have sleeves) or sweater are appropriate for men.

Swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurants or specialty restaurants at any time.

T-shirts, shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours but are acceptable for lunch.

-> You'll be fine in jeans.

Edited by JezzaC

On first night smart casual is enough in Grande. Copied from Anthem Cruise planner site:

Skirts or pants (with no holes, rips or tears) and a sweater or blouse are appropriate for women.

Pants (with no holes, rips or tears) and a sports shirt (must have sleeves) or sweater are appropriate for men.

Swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurants or specialty restaurants at any time.

T-shirts, shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours but are acceptable for lunch.

-> You'll be fine in jeans.

Oh no don't start a jeans debate lol. I'm already in trouble on this thread....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello,

With reference to your comment about not having to dress up on the first night, what is the minimum dress code that is acceptable?

We are embarking on Anthem on Saturday & will be travelling in jeans etc & have booked into the Grande for the 1st night.

Our hope is that our luggage will arrive in time & we will change & dress accordingly but what if it doesn't arrive in time .....? We have got quite an early dining time.

Joan

we were dressed like that as our cases had not arrived...no one questioned our dress :-)

hope that helps

Hello,

Joan

Hi Joan,

We were on Anthem a week ago and went to the Grande on the first night. Jeans and t-shirt are acceptable on the first night, however our case was outside our room at 1pm :).

We went in shirts and chinos. We loved our meal in the Grande so went again during the cruise. I wore a jacket on the second visit and they gave my friend a jacket to wear at the door. You can take your jacket off at the table as it does get hot in there. :D

Hope this helps

Mark.

So tuxes were not required on other nights? I saw that on their web site. Not sure we want to invest in a tux, but the menu looks so good.

From what I read here, just coats are required for men.

Currently on Anthem and going to the Grande tonight. I am wearing a dinner suit but on the other nights that I have been plenty of people have not. The cruise compass says that a jacket is required, but again I have seen people without one.

In terms of the menu. There are a few items on each menu that are specific for that restaurant and a few items that are generic to all the restaurants.

And of the seas.... Since you've been on about a year...get back to me when you've got some real experience...see I can be unpleasant also.

You already proved that early on in this thread. :rolleyes:

And of the seas.... Since you've been on about a year...get back to me when you've got some real experience...see I can be unpleasant also.

Hey, good for you! I'm glad. :rolleyes:

But the thing is, just because I've only been here for almost 2 years, doesn't mean I don't have experience or knowledge about Royal. Saying that someone who has X number of posts is not reliable is not very kind and not necessarily true.

We did not enjoy the grande on quantum in Feb terrible service cold food and staff that ignored our table we even had to ask for menus so it may be a dress up place but the service does not compare. to us not worth the bother of getting dressed up

Why do people who have not sailed on the ship answer questions about that ship?

Wow - you're talking about me. Sorry, I tried to edit my response, but it is too late. Please feel free to ignore me. But, for the record, the reason I answered was because not everyone goes to the other forums, I knew the question had been asked before, and I was simply trying to be helpful on the roll call.

For those wondering, here is the question and my answer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinkr2 View Post

Ok so I have lots of questions about Dynamic Dining. So if I choose the fixed plan, I will have the same table and server for 4 nights? Is there a late and an early like in traditional? If I chose this, how do I make reservations at the other restaurants, bc I will not know what restaurants I have until I am on board the ship? Is the formal restaurant actually formal, I love my husband in a tux but haven't gone that route in a while. We were on Independence in September and the formal night was crawling with tuxes and long truly formal gowns. I was sad bc I have all that but didn't bring it. There were lots of inrternationals and they were dressed MUCH nicer than their american counterparts.

my response:

I can't respond to everything, and my response is only based on what I've read on Cruise Critic, but the Grande is typically not formal on the first night. On other nights, the photos have shown a wide array of "formal". I believe I've also read that they'll give men a jacket to wear going in, which is often then placed on the chair.

Like you said, it has a lot to do with who else is going and the level of your comfort of being "different". Maybe a Bermuda itinerary out of NJ will bring out more formal wear. If your hubby will wear the tux and you love this one opportunity to get dressed up and get pictures, I say go for it. You may be one of few, but I know that you will make me smile if I pass you because you look so great. But, if your hubby doesn't want to, he would likely be fine with a sports coat based on pictures I've seen.

Edited by Alter Ego

Wow - you're talking about me. Sorry, I tried to edit my response, but it is too late. Please feel free to ignore me. But, for the record, the reason I answered was because not everyone goes to the other forums, I knew the question had been asked before, and I was simply trying to be helpful on the roll call.

Please don't apologize for trying to be helpful!! If you read these boards a lot, you often can answer general questions posted. And even more so, you qualified your response as such. The person that commented to you then went on to give anthem advice having NEVER been on the ship.

YOU have nothing to be sorry for.

We were on Anthem two weeks back. The Grande was our favourite included restaurant. We wore blazers without ties and most people were dressed very well. The menus were great and service was superb. For all those wanting to eat in The Grande but not adhere to the dress code then why not eat elsewhere? Or, wear a jacket? How hard can it be? There are loads of other choices if you don't want to dress up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Holy hell I was not talking about you alter ego. Your answer was helpful and informative. I regret saying anything. I've said I take the question back at least 3 times. This is why so many people complain about cc. If I could delete my post I would. I'm done with this. I guess I'll learn about the Anthem the least popular way On the boards....By actually cruising on her.

• 2 weeks later...

I will be traveling with my two sons (16 & 13) on Anthem next summer. My 16yo has a suit so he can wear that to Grande, but will my 13 year old be okay if he wears dress pants, a button down shirt and a tie? I don't really want to invest in a jacket or suit that he will only wear once, but he has several shirts and ties.

I have been on the Anthem, and ate in the Grande a few times. Men mainly wore their jackets to get past the "door" and then they put them on the backs of their chairs. Like other posters said, it can be quite hot in there.

I wouldnt bother buying a jacket just so it can be worn for a minute or two. Get a loan one at the door.

I felt Grande was actually a lot less formal than ships I have been on, when there has been a proper "formal" night.... I know it depends on the time of year/the itinerary also - who you luck out with as shipmates - but my experience was a lot less tuxedos and hardly any proper gowns!

So - the grande. men - shirt and a borrowed jacket if necessary - women?? Well, we know what to wear!!

My spouse and I have just returned from the Anthem's TA. We ate once in Grande, and there was nothing about the quality of the food nor the food service that warranted this being a formal dress venue. And when men are permitted in with open collared, non-white, non-dress, casual shirts, and can get to their table by borrowing a jacket and then hanging it from their chair, the whole formal dress code thing is a big joke.

RCI should scrap the notion that this is a formal dress restaurant.

I have been on the Anthem, and ate in the Grande a few times. Men mainly wore their jackets to get past the "door" and then they put them on the backs of their chairs. Like other posters said, it can be quite hot in there.

I wouldnt bother buying a jacket just so it can be worn for a minute or two. Get a loan one at the door.

I felt Grande was actually a lot less formal than ships I have been on, when there has been a proper "formal" night.... I know it depends on the time of year/the itinerary also - who you luck out with as shipmates - but my experience was a lot less tuxedos and hardly any proper gowns!

So - the grande. men - shirt and a borrowed jacket if necessary - women?? Well, we know what to wear!!

Why would it be hot in there?

Why would it be hot in there?

We found the interior of Anthem to be quite warm. We had a ton of long sleeved clothing we never wore. Could have left half our clothes at home! :) (And this was on the TA, where the outdoor temps were quite chilly.)