Aussies - Cozumel/Belize/Roatan- suggestions please

Kalice

Hi all,

First cruise, first time in Caribbean. We are experienced snorkelers and enjoy the beaches in Australia, so aren't really wanting on beach/drinking days.

I have booked Zip-lining & cave tubing in Belize with Butts Up, also we have booked Fun-in-Sun in Roatan with Bodden (which includes West Bay beach).

Cozumel is where I am stuck. I like to the look of Mystic River and Paradise Lagoon, however I am concerned it is similar to the cave tubing?

Alternatively, the snorkelling sounds great, although we intend to snorkel in Roatan.

We did consider the Xunantunich Mayan ruins in Belize, but thought the long drive would not be good for kids aged 16, 15 and 8.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

The ruins trips are amazing but exhausting. The ziplining in Belize is excellent. I have been to Cozumel many times and enjoy relaxing at an all-inclusive beach club but that might not be what you have in mind!

Great snorkeling from the shore at The Money Bar beach club, or book an excursion that will take you out to the reef for even better snorkeling.

http://moneybarbeachclub.com/

Thanks John. I've looked at the Money Bar but wonder about the quality of the snorkelling there, compared with going out on a boat.

You're right Podie, an all-inclusive club sounds fun, but we want to see as much as we can.

Hi all,

First cruise, first time in Caribbean. We are experienced snorkelers and enjoy the beaches in Australia, so aren't really wanting on beach/drinking days.

I have booked Zip-lining & cave tubing in Belize with Butts Up, also we have booked Fun-in-Sun in Roatan with Bodden (which includes West Bay beach).

Cozumel is where I am stuck. I like to the look of Mystic River and Paradise Lagoon, however I am concerned it is similar to the cave tubing?

Alternatively, the snorkelling sounds great, although we intend to snorkel in Roatan.

We did consider the Xunantunich Mayan ruins in Belize, but thought the long drive would not be good for kids aged 16, 15 and 8.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

I haven't done the Mystic River tour and therefore cannot comment on the quality of the tour but be warned that Cozumel is an island and that this tour takes place on the mainland, which involves a ferry ride each way and a bus ride on the mainland. I mention this since you had concerns about transport in Belize and it will cut down the actual time at the site. Some people find the ferry a very rough ride. Because of the transport difficulties I would suggest this should only be booked through the cruise line. Here is a link about Akumal, where the lagoon is located which will show you the locations.

http://www.travelyucatan.com/mayan_riviera_maya_snorkeling.php

Since Cozumel is an island many of the activities center around water sports, snorkeling, diving, parasailing, SUP. You can hire a driver for the day and take a trip round the island and beach hop and photo shoot. You can go on Jeep tours, or ATV, or ride electric bikes.

If you are interested in learning about local cuisine, for a complete change of pace and fun family activity, I highly recommend a cooking class with Josefina. You can Google for further details and there are some YouTube videos.

Thanks John. I've looked at the Money Bar but wonder about the quality of the snorkelling there, compared with going out on a boat.

Some of the smaller snorkel boats just bring their customers to the shore near the Money Bar to snorkel. :( A good snorkel tour will take you out farther and stop at 2-3 spots along the reef. We used Eagle Ray a couple of years ago and were happy - check trip advisor for more recent reviews and suggestions for other companies.

Snorkeling from the shore at MB is good enough for us for an hour or two - then we usually taxi to one of the beaches.

There are some "fun" type excursions in Cozumel.

There is a Yacht Race, where you are the crew and sail an "America's Cup" type yacht.

There is an "Amazing Race" excursion, where you divide up in teams and race to various points, trying to find check-points and hidden treasures, etc.

There is a cooking excursion, where they teach you to cook, and you eat what you cook.

Chankanaab Ecological Park has swim with the dolphins, snorkeling, swimming, etc.

You can also hire a driver for a day, and go explore the far side of the island, with less people.

There is an excursion to the mainland to visit the ruins at Tuluum, which are very well excavated and open, but it takes most of the day.

Many would advise against renting your own car, or renting mopeds, due to risk of accidents and draconian Mexican rules against foreigners involved in accidents.