Confused!..Platinum's please chime in!

Lil2Angelic

We won't actually be platinum until the middle our next cruise. Our PVP first said we need to go to Guest Services after we board to let them know that we are becoming Platinum during our cruise. They will then change out our S&S cards since we technically won't be Platinum when boarding. This means we would not be checking in via the priority boarding line.:eek:

I mentioned that the info I was reading on the forums and even J.H.'s blog said we will board as Platinum. So priority boarding.

Our PVP then asked a supervisor who said that most likely, but it's not for sure, they will let us board priority as they wouldn't want to upset loyal Carnival guests.

I'm confused because I thought for sure after all the threads I've read on this subject that we would be boarding as Platinum and that we would get our Platinum S&S cards at check in. It wouldn't be a huge deal except we have already booked a 4 day cruise so we could board as Platinum on our European cruise.

Without going into too much detail..I don't want to sound spoiled or anything. It's going to be very difficult for me to physically make the long flight anyway. I had assured my DH that if we booked the 4 day cruise and would become Platinum during the European cruise we could for sure board priority as Platinum. Now I'm concerned! Hoping you all can help me out here!

Please tell me your experiences..

Has anyone been denied Platinum boarding when you were becoming Platinum in the middle of your cruise?

When we print out our luggage tags will they show as Platinum so our luggage will arrive in our cabin early?

Which line do we get in for check in?

Will we get to go into a Platinum lounge while waiting to board?

Any other info I should know?

Thank you in advance!

We turned Platinum 2 cruises ago, and we boarded as platinum even though we technically didn't have 75 days until the middle of the cruise. We were issued luggage tags with "Priority" and issued a platinum card at check-in. We sat in the Platinum Lounge, or the overflow area. I'm not familiar with every port's lounge though. But you still should be somehow separated for early boarding.

We never had to go to guest services to change cards. Thats what our experience was, I hope it has not changed, because this sounds like it would be a PITA!

We did B2B on Miracle last winter. My husband would be turning Platinum on the 2nd cruise. As it was, they gave him a Platinum card when we checked in for the 1st cruise, perhaps because we were sailing consecutive days...

You have no worries. Enjoy your cruises!

Cheers,

Taters

As others have said.. if you will become Platinum at any portion of the cruise, you will board as such. Your boarding pass will show Priority Boarding or VIP and when you check in, your card will be Platinum (silver).

Make sure your boarding passes say Priority or VIP. This is where you will get to use the first benefit of becoming a VIP guest.

Enjoy your cruise and your new status with Carnival.

We did B2B on Miracle last winter. My husband would be turning Platinum on the 2nd cruise. As it was, they gave him a Platinum card when we checked in for the 1st cruise, perhaps because we were sailing consecutive days...

Cheers,

Taters

We also did a B2B in 2013 just before they changed to days sailed - grandfathered in. We received Platinum status at the beginning of our 9th cruise since it was B2B. We always sailed 6, 7, & 8 day cruises and at the end of our 10th cruise, we only had 72 days. We would have had to sail at 11th cruise to make it to 75 days.

That's why we chose to do a B2B. We've been doing B2B ever since.

We will be turning Platinum in the middle of our next cruise in February. Our boarding pass for that cruise says Platinum, and our luggage tags say priority. There is also a FTF symbol on the luggage tag (do all platinum tags have this on them?)

Yes

Cheers,

Taters

This is what happened to my wife and I several years ago. Platinum on second leg but were given Platinum cards and priority boarding on first leg of B2B. Have fun!

Thank You Everybody!

I never had a PVP in the past. Requested to have one assigned to us because I was feeling a bit overwhelmed with planning this European cruise and thought it might help. :rolleyes:

We would love to go on a B2B someday! That would be awesome!

Thank You Everybody!

I never had a PVP in the past. Requested to have one assigned to us because I was feeling a bit overwhelmed with planning this European cruise and thought it might help. :rolleyes:

I'm glad you got the truth here because your newly appointed PVP is bad :) Request a new one!

we turned platinum 2 cruises ago, and we boarded as platinum even though we technically didn't have 75 days until the middle of the cruise. We were issued luggage tags with "priority" and issued a platinum card at check-in. We sat in the platinum lounge, or the overflow area. I'm not familiar with every port's lounge though. But you still should be somehow separated for early boarding.

We never had to go to guest services to change cards. Thats what our experience was, i hope it has not changed, because this sounds like it would be a pita!

ditto

Not exactly what the OP asked, but last December my sister turned Gold in the middle of the cruise but she still got a red card and red benefits. So maybe Platinum is treated differently than other levels and that's why the PVP was confused.

You would already start out as being recognized as Platinum. It should already reflect on your documents and luggage tags (won't say Platinum, but will say Priority). You don't need to go to Guest Services.

We won't actually be platinum until the middle our next cruise. Our PVP first said we need to go to Guest Services after we board to let them know that we are becoming Platinum during our cruise. They will then change out our S&S cards since we technically won't be Platinum when boarding. This means we would not be checking in via the priority boarding line.:eek:

I mentioned that the info I was reading on the forums and even J.H.'s blog said we will board as Platinum. So priority boarding.

Our PVP then asked a supervisor who said that most likely, but it's not for sure, they will let us board priority as they wouldn't want to upset loyal Carnival guests.

I'm confused because I thought for sure after all the threads I've read on this subject that we would be boarding as Platinum and that we would get our Platinum S&S cards at check in. It wouldn't be a huge deal except we have already booked a 4 day cruise so we could board as Platinum on our European cruise.

Without going into too much detail..I don't want to sound spoiled or anything. It's going to be very difficult for me to physically make the long flight anyway. I had assured my DH that if we booked the 4 day cruise and would become Platinum during the European cruise we could for sure board priority as Platinum. Now I'm concerned! Hoping you all can help me out here!

Please tell me your experiences..

Has anyone been denied Platinum boarding when you were becoming Platinum in the middle of your cruise?

When we print out our luggage tags will they show as Platinum so our luggage will arrive in our cabin early?

Which line do we get in for check in?

Will we get to go into a Platinum lounge while waiting to board?

Any other info I should know?

Thank you in advance!

Not exactly what the OP asked, but last December my sister turned Gold in the middle of the cruise but she still got a red card and red benefits. So maybe Platinum is treated differently than other levels and that's why the PVP was confused.

http://www.carnival.com/loyalty/faqs.aspx#q-1197326

Your sister was given the wrong card.

This is the policy

VIFP Club members will automatically move from one level to the next level based on their VIFP Points, and will receive the benefits of their level on each sailing.

Guests graduating into a new level during a cruise will receive the benefits of the new level they are graduating into from the beginning of the cruise (e.g. those graduating to Gold on the 3rd day of a 5-day cruise will receive Gold benefits for the entire duration of their cruise).

While guests are automatically eligible for their benefits, some Diamond level benefits must be requested at the time of booking (e.g. one-time benefits).

Edited by DaytonCruiser

Interesting. Good to know. Although, it was a lot of fun to bug her during the cruise by for example cutting in front of her at the buffet line "because of her lower status." :D

http://www.carnival.com/loyalty/faqs.aspx#q-1197326

Your sister was given the wrong card.

This is the policy

VIFP Club members will automatically move from one level to the next level based on their VIFP Points, and will receive the benefits of their level on each sailing.

Guests graduating into a new level during a cruise will receive the benefits of the new level they are graduating into from the beginning of the cruise (e.g. those graduating to Gold on the 3rd day of a 5-day cruise will receive Gold benefits for the entire duration of their cruise).

While guests are automatically eligible for their benefits, some Diamond level benefits must be requested at the time of booking (e.g. one-time benefits).

Great thread. My DW and I are also turning platinum in the middle of our 7 day cruise in December. I just checked my Boarding Summary and it does say Priority.

However we will be traveling with my 2 adult sons who are not platinum yet, nor will they be during this cruise.

Question is if they will be able to have priority boarding with us as we are checking in as a family.

Any help is most welcome

Members will be deemed a certain “Level” in the Club depending on the number of the VIFP Points earned. The following number of VIFP Points must be earned to be awarded the corresponding Level. A Member will be a deemed a “Blue” Level Member once the Member registers for the Club and such Member will be deemed a “Red” Level Member once the Member embarks on a second Cruise. All earnings after that are based on the number of Days a Member accrues on eligible Cruises.

LEVEL

BLUE

First Cruise

RED

Second Cruise – 24 VIFP Points

GOLD

25 – 74 VIFP Points

PLATINUM

75 – 199 VIFP Points

DIAMOND

200 and more VIFP Points

Notwithstanding the foregoing, in the event a Member books a Cruise in which such Member will attain the necessary VIFP Points to reach a new Level during or by the end of such Cruise (a “Crossover Cruise”), CCL may, in its sole discretion, offer such Member the Benefits offered to Members of the higher Level during the Crossover Cruise.

I took this from the Carnival website. Sound like it is at the discretion of Carnival to award a higher status if the amount of days has not been accummulated.

Thank You Everybody!

The "mis-information" you received is precisely why we don't use a PVP ever...you get better info on these boards....LOL....so very wise to come here to ask.

We, too, received our Platinum card at the beginning of the cruise in which we reached the next (Platinum) level. As everyone else here has advised, you will see the status on your "Boarding Pass"......as well as "Priority" for boarding in big red letters. It is very exciting. Congrats to you!!