Buying cigarettes onboard

DaveOKC

I am not a smoker, so I have never purchased cigarettes onboard a HAL ship.

A friend would like to know if his cigarette purchases can be paid for with OBC received from HAL. I told him that I thought so, but that I would ask my CC friends to be sure.

Does anyone know for certain?

I am not a smoker, so I have never purchased cigarettes onboard a HAL ship.

A friend would like to know if his cigarette purchases can be paid for with OBC received from HAL. I told him that I thought so, but that I would ask my CC friends to be sure.

Does anyone know for certain?

Yes Dave all purchases are paid for with OBC:) Been there, done it many times.

BTW, the smokes are on average $33.00 per carton for name brands. BUT.......

I found out on our last Caribbean cruise (AFTER I bought mine) that the Shops on the ship will sell 5 cartons at $125.00 total. AND IF your friend finds a better price in the Caribbean (I believe only in US ports such as USVI) and bring a photo of the better price to the shops on board, they will sell them at the cheaper rate. I have not tried this YET, but will next month.

Joanie

I found out on our last Caribbean cruise (AFTER I bought mine) that the Shops on the ship will sell 5 cartons at $125.00 total. AND IF your friend finds a better price in the Caribbean (I believe only in US ports such as USVI) and bring a photo of the better price to the shops on board, they will sell them at the cheaper rate. I have not tried this YET, but will next month.

Joanie

That is 1,000 cigarettes :eek: I do hope you declare those over your allowable 200 limit and pay the applicable duty taxes when you re-enter the country.

Edited by taxmantoo

Yes Dave all purchases are paid for with OBC:) Been there, done it many times.

BTW, the smokes are on average $33.00 per carton for name brands. BUT.......

Joanie

I think the 5 carton offer on HAL ships applies to only one or maybe two brands. I think that pertinent to mention. I don't buy cigarettes but saw the five pack offer for Marlboro brand.

I think the 5 carton offer on HAL ships applies to only one or maybe two brands. I think that pertinent to mention. I don't buy cigarettes but saw the five pack offer for Marlboro brand. =

Yes ! sail7Seas, the choice is very limited. AFAIK, only Marlboro (Red and Gold) are available. For a eight pack cartoon.

You can also buy it by a pack while in Ocean Bar (AFT) or Lido Bar.

Holacanada

Yes ! sail7Seas, the choice is very limited. AFAIK, only Marlboro (Red and Gold) are available. For a eight pack cartoon.

You can also buy it by a pack while in Ocean Bar (AFT) or Lido Bar.

Holacanada

The Marlboro cartons each have 10 packs per carton (I know because I buy Marlboro when I cruise). There are numerous, at least 3 or 4 name brands and IF you can get to the stock before the crew does, you can buy Generic for $29.00 per 10 pack carton.

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie

Are the cigarettes the same? I remember buying Marlboros in Mexico one time. They were a fraction of the price of American Marlboros, so I bought a carton. I soon noticed these were not the same as I was used to. Sure, both are made by Phillip Morris, but the tobacco just wasn't the same. I wound up just giving them away.

Of course this was all before I gave up smoking, which as luck would have it, was years before I developed cancer. Cigarettes, cheap or otherwise, are never worth the price.

so we just buy 3 cartons. 1 to smoke and 2 to take home.

You can do that, I have. I've also bought the 5 cartons and declared 3. As we went through the Customs and was told no problem. I've not been asked to pay for the 3 cartons, but that is not to say the next time I won't be.

I know that the legal limit for bringing Tax Free Cigarettes into the US is 200 cigarettes (1 carton) per passenger 18 and above. So if you have 2 adults in your party then you are allowed to bring, legally, without declaring them, 2 cartons or 400 cigarettes.

I've no idea what the Tax would be on any cartons.

Joanie

I've no idea what the Tax would be on any cartons.

Joanie

Duty is $1.01 per pack, or $50.33 per thousand cigarettes.

http://www.ttb.gov/tax_audit/atftaxes.shtml

The table also have includes a figure for "large cigarettes," but don't be confused. Large cigarettes aren't 100s or anything like that. They're more or less cigar sized things.

... So if you have 2 adults in your party then you are allowed to bring, legally, without declaring them ...

You are required to declare them. They may be exempt from duty, depending on many things, including where they were purchased, and the quantities, but you are still required to declare them.

Duty is $1.01 per pack, or $50.33 per thousand cigarettes.

http://www.ttb.gov/tax_audit/atftaxes.shtml

The table also have includes a figure for "large cigarettes," but don't be confused. Large cigarettes aren't 100s or anything like that. They're more or less cigar sized things.

You are required to declare them. They may be exempt from duty, depending on many things, including where they were purchased, and the quantities, but you are still required to declare them.

Thank you both for the info. Hubby always fills out the Custom forms and he is asleep so I could not ask him, and I assumed, which I know I should not have.

I appreciate the answers:)

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie

I appreciate the answers:)

Joanie

You're welcome. The duty was less than I expected. I guess that's why they generally let people pass when they have booze and butts declared.