Would you suggest Fantasy-class for first timers?

LMaxwell

Personally, all of my first cruises were 7 nighters. I didn't even know that there were shorter cruises until many years later. And at 16,000 tons, our first ship made a 70,000 ton Fantasy class ship look like the Oasis of the Seas! It never crossed my mind back then that the ship was "too small" or that 7 nights was "too long".

I have to agree with Tapi here!:) My DW had to drag me on our first cruise ('95) , a 7 day out of Miami with only 1000 pax, and 7-800 crew, on an older smaller ship.

Trust me when I say the 1st cruise will always be remembered, so make it a good one. After 4 days on a 7 day cruise, I was so impressed, I couldn't believe that we had never tried it before Suffice to say, my DW had to also drag me OFF the ship when we returned to Miami.

Although a 4-5 day cruise is also a good choice, we always recommend to our friends and family to take a 7 day first. In our experience, the first 2 or 3 days was all about getting used to the ship, the idea, and activities of cruising!:D Then the next 3-4 days were all about relaxing and enjoying the cruise and ports.:)

As always though, any Cruise is a Good Cruise IMHO:D

My first cruise was on the Carnival Fantasy. I knew there had to be something good about cruising that brought people back time and again - but it certainly wasn't on our cruise.

The ship was too small to comfortably navigate the choppy Gulf of Mexico.

I'll never do a small ship ever again. Bigger is better! More entertainment, more dining, more interesting people to meet....

Hard to say but thinking that a shorter cruise of 3-4 days is good (that is how we started) but would do it on a newer ship than fantasy class.

I agree with love my grandkids.

IMHO, and it's just MHO, I thought the Fantasy class ships were a bit more difficult to navigate that the newer ships especially for a first timer even though they are smaller (particularly in the decks surrounding and adjacent to the dining rooms), and I would know (see signature). There are other shorter cruises on the newer ships with typically better amenities that they are sure to enjoy!

I also agree with other posters that you should stay away from the 3-day weekend crowd for a first timer. While I am okay with any kind of crowed and can adjust accordingly it is different for sure. Not bad, just different from our experiences and depending on the particular crowd it may/may not sit well with a first timer.

I say go for it! Our first cruise was on the Holiday, and the second was on a Fantasy class (Inspiration). We had a huge "wow factor" feeling stepping into the atrium. Thne we did Legend and were wowed again! After that, we did two more Fantasy class, and while less wow now that we have seen the larger ships, we still enjoy them and are going again in 2 weeks. I would suggest a 5 day or longer for less party crowd.

I'm in the jump right into a 7 day bigger ship, more amenities crowd. The Fantasy ships are just downright old and they can show their age in areas. The Lido decks are a joke (fake palms, really). You want to impress them and not bore them! We did Dream as our first cruise and have since done a couple Fantasy class as well as Breeze more than once. I will say that unless I was looking for a quick, cheap getaway I would never sail another small ship.

The only thing I would add is that whatever itinerary, make sure it has at least one sea day. Some of the shorter ones are so full of activity with a port every day that there is no relaxing, sleeping in etc... Sea days are one of the best parts of a cruise.

Our first cruise was the Elation, 4 days. We picked a shorter trip because my son & I are very prone to motion sickness and didn't want to risk being miserable for an entire week. But, we found between Bonine & Ginger candy we managed just fine and loved it!

I think starting on a smaller ship was awesome ... to a first timer it's HUGE regardless. We loved it, as it wasn't overwhelmingly big. We never had a problem finding something to do.

Then one day I saw a pic of the Elation docked next to the Magic in some port ... and I lol'd. It made me kind of scurred for our Breeze cruise next year. lol

Our first cruise was the Elation, 4 days. We picked a shorter trip because my son & I are very prone to motion sickness and didn't want to risk being miserable for an entire week. But, we found between Bonine & Ginger candy we managed just fine and loved it!

I think starting on a smaller ship was awesome ... to a first timer it's HUGE regardless. We loved it, as it wasn't overwhelmingly big. We never had a problem finding something to do.

Then one day I saw a pic of the Elation docked next to the Magic in some port ... and I lol'd. It made me kind of scurred for our Breeze cruise next year. lol

Don't be scurred of the Breeze! She's awesome!