Carnival Elation Noise on Mississippi

cf32521

We recently returned from a cruise on the Elation out of New Orleans. We had a porthole cabin in the front of the ship. While traveling on the Mississippi out of port and again when returning, there was a very loud engine-type noise in the front of the ship. Does anyone know what this was - it was only while we were on the river. The rest of the cruise was very quiet.

Having never been on a ship on the "might Miss", I would gather that is not going fast (much slower than18-20 knots). Thus rudder effectiveness is diminished, and thus so is lateral control. So, what do you do? You use the bow thrusters to assist maneuvering. I am quite certain that is what you heard being up forward.

Having never been on a ship on the "might Miss", I would gather that is not going fast (much slower than18-20 knots). Thus rudder effectiveness is diminished, and thus so is lateral control. So, what do you do? You use the bow thrusters to assist maneuvering. I am quite certain that is what you heard being up forward.

Spot on, Lou. The ship will be doing a maximum of 10-12 knots, and less during times of high water, or past docked ships. To worsen the effectiveness of the rudder, when the ship is going down river, the water is flowing with the ship, so water flow past the rudder, and therefore its effect, is lessened even more. Many ships transiting down river will come to a near full stop at bends to improve the water flow past the rudder, swing the ship, and then increase speed until the next bend.

I heard the same thing on my Elation cruise in April. We had porthole cabin near front of ship on the lowest deck and I heard a VERY loud sound as we pulled into the ports which was around 7-8 each morning. I assumed it was the ship dropping anchor. It lasted about a minute. Maybe that was something else from what you heard.

I heard the same thing on my Elation cruise in April. We had porthole cabin near front of ship on the lowest deck and I heard a VERY loud sound as we pulled into the ports which was around 7-8 each morning. I assumed it was the ship dropping anchor. It lasted about a minute. Maybe that was something else from what you heard.

If the ship was docking, she wouldn't be dropping the anchor, but the thruster is used whenever the ship is docking. The thruster makes a loud rumbling noise, while the anchor makes a clanging roar that tends to shake the ship.

Thanks everyone - I'm sure it was the thruster. chengkp75 described it perfectly - lasted the entire 7-8 hours it takes to get down the river. Wasn't bad leaving because we went to bed later and was out of the river by 11 PM or so. Coming back - didn't sleep at all!

I was in R1 last year and heard that noise leaving New Orleans and on port mornings...but I'm an early riser so it didn't bother me. I wouldn't recommend that location to someone who wants to sleep in on port mornings. I don't recall any noise affecting my sleep the last night though.