Diamond Princess around Au/NZ 33 days.

There's quite a few newbies with their luggage lined up waiting to get on the ship.

We live in the tropics and we found it uncomfortably hot today. The humidity is right up.

Next up, Bali.

The "wet" is just around the corner..:eek:

There's quite a few newbies with their luggage lined up waiting to get on the ship.

We live in the tropics and we found it uncomfortably hot today. The humidity is right up.

Next up, Bali.

Hope the smoke (bush clearing in Indonesia) doesn't affect everyone adversely while in port or sailing.

Edited by MicCanberra

Next up, Bali.

The humidity is the killer.

they have those specials advertised in the sunday tele where you can join the ships at Darwin after doing a train trip on the Ghan

They are becoming very popular with the overseas travellers. Also the other way down to Adelaide.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

Hi, I'm hoping someone on the Diamond can answer these questions.

Can you access the 240 power point under the bed and plug a power board in with an adapter? Or does an Australian laptop with an adapter run ok on the US 110 plug by the desk? I know it won't damage it but I'm wondering if it'll run too slowly.

Thanks

We were on the previous cruise in C204 (forward, deck 10) and they were in the process of installing "universal" powerpoints in all of the cabins. They did ours while we were on board. It seems to take all sockets and is rated at 220V. It is directly above the desk and doesn't have any light switches to block the outlet (like the one on the side wall).

22550185432_9217364a6d_n.jpg

I tested it with an Aussie plug because I wasn't sure it would fit, but it did with a bit of wiggling and a bit of force. One of the electrical guys we passed in the hall a few days later (when we commented that they were still working) said they would be working on it for the next 3 months so maybe ours was one of the first?

I think as long as the plug says 110-240V or something similar you would have no issues as it accepts 110V at minimum.

Once it was installed, I swapped our US adaptor (plug plus 2 USBs) into the universal point and it worked fine for my camera and phones (despite saying 220V only).

So far happy with the ship.

The only issues with the size are tendering and in Port Douglas 3000 people was a bit much for the size town.

Onboard it has not been an issue.

And this from people that love small ships.

Brilliant to hear you're liking the Diamond :)

I must confess we liked our Diamond trip so much we have already put our future cruise deposits to good use...on another Diamond trip :D

We were on the previous cruise in C204 (forward, deck 10) and they were in the process of installing "universal" powerpoints in all of the cabins. They did ours while we were on board. It seems to take all sockets and is rated at 220V. It is directly above the desk and doesn't have any light switches to block the outlet (like the one on the side wall).

I tested it with an Aussie plug because I wasn't sure it would fit, but it did with a bit of wiggling and a bit of force. One of the electrical guys we passed in the hall a few days later (when we commented that they were still working) said they would be working on it for the next 3 months so maybe ours was one of the first?

I think as long as the plug says 110-240V or something similar you would have no issues as it accepts 110V at minimum.

Once it was installed, I swapped our US adaptor (plug plus 2 USBs) into the universal point and it worked fine for my camera and phones (despite saying 220V only).

This makes Jan very happy!!! Can anyone confirm whether or not this has been done on the Plaza Deck OV cabins yet?

Regards

Jan

Blowed if I can get an Aussie plug in it.

Blowed if I can get an Aussie plug in it.

Hi again GUT. So you are in a balcony stateroom and have one of these so-called 'universal' plugs and can't fit an Aussie plug into it?

What deck are you on?

Thanks for all your input - you are certainly a wealth of information.

By the way, does anyone at the meet and greet wear a cruise critic Meet & Mingle name tag?

Hi again GUT. So you are in a balcony stateroom and have one of these so-called 'universal' plugs and can't fit an Aussie plug into it?

What deck are you on?

Thanks for all your input - you are certainly a wealth of information.

By the way, does anyone at the meet and greet wear a cruise critic Meet & Mingle name tag?

Deck 10 Caribe

Have to admit didn't try to hard to get the Aussie plug in as I have a little adapter that gives me 4 USB plugs.

No one wore name tags at the othe M&G just met in the lounge for a drink nd chat.

Deck 10 Caribe

Have to admit didn't try to hard to get the Aussie plug in as I have a little adapter that gives me 4 USB plugs.

No one wore name tags at the othe M&G just met in the lounge for a drink nd chat.

Maybe people are too embarrassed to wear name tags. I may wear mine just to be different.

I'm on Baja so I'll probably have one of the new adapters - just another thing to look forward to for my first time on the Diamond. Who says cruises are boring?

I could tell when the web cam was down - it showed you bound for Yokohama and there were water droplets all over the cam. I thought the captain turned north by mistake.

Maybe people are too embarrassed to wear name tags. I may wear mine just to be different.

I'm on Baja so I'll probably have one of the new adapters - just another thing to look forward to for my first time on the Diamond. Who says cruises are boring?

I could tell when the web cam was down - it showed you bound for Yokohama and there were water droplets all over the cam. I thought the captain turned north by mistake.

Lol, that would be a different cruise than the one they were supposed to be on.

The new power points will make it a lot easier for travellers however, not if you cannot use them with standard aussie plugs.

Good point (pun not intended but I'll take credit for it anyway). I wonder why an international power point wasn't implemented before this since cruise ships always have international passengers. Maybe because now we have all these gizmos to plug in where a few years ago it didn't matter. In 1998 when I cruised on the Starship Gemini out of Singapore I don't even remember what power points it had. Now with my smartphone and laptop, GPS, oh, I'm over the top, I have to go on a cruise to chill out.

Like the title of my message says, I'll find out next week. So looking forward to this.

It's not so much the Aussie plug but the 220V that makes me happy! HAL have at least one 110V and one 220V in each cabin. So with adapters with USB ports etc, between the two of them you can easily simultaneously charge the multitude of toys we all travel with these days. Plus I can bring my "proper" 240v hairdryer instead of the less powerful universal travel one! It's a girl thing!! ;);)

Good point (pun not intended but I'll take credit for it anyway). I wonder why an international power point wasn't implemented before this since cruise ships always have international passengers. Maybe because now we have all these gizmos to plug in where a few years ago it didn't matter. In 1998 when I cruised on the Starship Gemini out of Singapore I don't even remember what power points it had. Now with my smartphone and laptop, GPS, oh, I'm over the top, I have to go on a cruise to chill out.

Like the title of my message says, I'll find out next week. So looking forward to this.

I have the US and European adaptors so have not really needed to worry about it but with a universal socket, it should be much easier.

Looks beaut in the Harbour, there was some talk last night that we may not be able to tender but actually looks nice, overcast, may get some rain, not too hot.

Told that rain and possible thunderstorms for those joining us tomorrow.

Apparently not all port calls at Geraldton are successful. Once when we cruised one of the first trial tenders ended up with a broken front window, Captain called them up and we waited until the wind and tide was more settled. Rough ride back though.

Last year the Captain took us right down into the basin near the silos for more protection and so it was easier for the tenders.

Nice place with a great museum in the wharf area. Would like more time there to go to the Kalbarri region.

But it is known as WA's windsurfing capital for a reason.