Request for low salt

Vikstar

I'm currently pregnant and trying to watch my sodium intake. Is it possible to request no added salt when ordering a meal in the dining room or are meals pre-prepared? I imagine that there's not much I can do about pre made stocks/sauces. We will be mainly dining in Luminae.

If you are dining in Luminae I honestly don't think you will have a problem. Talk to the M'D first day, open for lunch as you board, and they will look after you. We don't have any special dietary needs but they swapped and changed a few things for us. You could also, if you want list a low sodium diet as a special need pre boarding.

Honestly, service in Luminae is outstanding, I am sure you will have some wonderful and low sodium meals!

I usually ask the waiter to suggest the lower sodium options, and he guides me through the menu. Often he consults with the chef. I pretty much leave it in their hands.

For example, this July the cookstaff located a can of salt free crab and made my crab cakes from that. I would never have asked them to go to so much trouble, but those crabcakes sure were good!

You can ask and they will try, but you never really know. I have to continually remind my DW that I need less salt as she cooks. She has learned NOT to ask me to taste a dish to see if it needs more salt! :) It never does!

My solution has been to move to eating more raw fruits and vegetables as part of diet even on vacation with so much good food around. I have learned that I have a choice, eat better and feel better or not. Most of the time I am good.

Good luck with your pregnancy!

Edited by shipshape sam

Whether you are in Luminae or the MDR, tell your Maitre'd on day one that you need a reduced sodium diet. As others have said, there isn't much that can be done about the chronically over-salted soups, around the ship. One thing that does help me is to request that all sauces/dressings be served on the side. That way, I can do my own evaluation about how much (if any) to put on my food. A good place to go for lunch is the AquaSpa Cafe. Their food tends to be healthier, and they aren't as heavy-handed with the salt shaker.

Oh, and I also found that, once I switched to bottled water, I had fewer problems with my hands/feet swelling. :cool:

Special Dietary Needs

Celebrity Cruises is happy to accommodate many different kinds of dietary needs in our Main Restaurant to enhance your cruise vacation. Once you have booked your cruise, send your special dietary request to special_needs@celebrity.com or call 1-866-592-7225.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard-celebrity/onboard-special-dietary-needs?tab=/onboard-celebrity/onboard-special-dietary-needs%3Fsubtab%3Dtrue#null

I requested low salt while sailing on Infinity to the Antarctic. Each evening the MD would come to our table with the menu for the following night and I would make my selections with his guidance. As previously posted the AquaSpaCafe is an excellent choice for lunch. Ask and Celebrity staff will take good care of you.

I've never to my recollection had an issue with any of the food in any of the dining venues being too salty. You have to remember that they are cooking for so many people that over salting the food is never a good thing and they would rather let you decide how salty you want your food. It's why there is always salt on the table. [emoji6]

As for the sauces, that's the only area where I could see the food over salted. Just ask for it on the side and test it out. If it's too salty just add a little hot water to thin it out.

I'm currently pregnant and trying to watch my sodium intake. Is it possible to request no added salt when ordering a meal in the dining room or are meals pre-prepared? I imagine that there's not much I can do about pre made stocks/sauces. We will be mainly dining in Luminae.

We can accommodate most special dietary requirements such as low sodium. If you booked directly with Celebrity Cruises please call 1-800-556-8209 to have this request added to your reservation. Otherwise, please contact your travel partner.

Special Dietary Needs

Celebrity Cruises is happy to accommodate many different kinds of dietary needs in our Main Restaurant to enhance your cruise vacation. Once you have booked your cruise, send your special dietary request to special_needs@celebrity.com or call 1-866-592-7225.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard-celebrity/onboard-special-dietary-needs?tab=/onboard-celebrity/onboard-special-dietary-needs%3Fsubtab%3Dtrue#null

Thanks Dan. This thread really works.