What did your kids spend money on?

MaiTaiMary

The kids were 8 and 4 on the first cruise this May. The 4 year old didn't get any privileges on his card, obviously, and the 8 year old never asked for anything really.

We did take them to the gift shop to shop around and we went to Cherry on Top probably 3 or 4 times for a little late night treat. We took them to the arcade for about an hour one afternoon, that got pricey. We spent probably $50 and left. We would buy them a soda or a fruity drink once or twice a day. All in all fairly reasonable.

The next cruise, we might give the older one a daily amount on his S&S. I can't see more than $8-10/day.

It truly depends on the child. We have 4 girls and typically give them $50 each for a 5 day cruise. My youngest was 5 on her first cruise and will pick out a stuffed animal from the shops and that's about it, maybe some candy. Second youngest has cruised from 11-14 and barely spends any money, ever. Next daughter cruised at 16-17 and will blow through her limit the first day or two and start hitting the younger sisters up to buy her stuff. Oldest cruised from 15-19 and will buy stuff throughout the week, figure out what she has left the last night, and make every effort to spend down to the last penny if possible.

Our next cruise is 8 days in Europe and just the youngest two are still living at home and going with us. Not sure that they'll need any more for the longer cruise as there is only one day at sea and a lot of time in port. They will take $50-100 of money they have saved up for souvenirs in the ports though.

Next cruise: Carnival Vista - July 2016

My son is 11 and been on 8 cruises, we have always made his card so he can't spend any money. We take him to the arcade one time during the cruise and spend maybe $10. I also agree there is no need for him to have anything else on the ship.

I could not agree more. My daughter has cruised three times and we've maybe spent $50 total onboard for her.

Video games are the #1 expense I see parents mention. Following that, I can speak from experience when I was growing up...soda, mocktails, and cruise logo merch. I highly recommend setting a daily limit after reading of some parents being shocked at their kids' video games expenditures! It's not necessarily that kids intend to spend a lot; they just don't necessarily understand the value of money yet.

This will be my kid's second cruise. I asked this question because on the first cruise (last year) I really didn't remember them wanting to spend ANY money on board.

The two older kids will be able to sign them selves in and out of camp this time, so they will be having little more freedom. We told them if they wanted anything on board the ship, they were to save up the money.

We were talking the other day about how much to bring and I just couldn't think of what they would want to buy! LOL When we go on the Breeze in September, they all want the week long passes for the 4D theater. Other than the arcade (which they forgot about last cruise) I just couldn't think of anything else.

The Miracle has "cherry on top", so I'm sure they'll want something from there. I just kept thinking there had to be more onboard expenses I wasn't thinking of! LOL

We had to go to the kiosk every morning and add to his total limit. There was no way to set an actual daily limit. You just add to the toatal the amount he can spend.

I'm confused.

So if I put cash on their cards at the kiosks, they'll still be able to spend more after that? I can't have some kind of "only what we put on the card" option?

I'm confused.

So if I put cash on their cards at the kiosks, they'll still be able to spend more after that? I can't have some kind of "only what we put on the card" option?

The previous poster was talking about a daily limit. So, for example. If you put 20 dollars on the card for the cruise, the child can spend it all in one day...versus spreading it out throughout the cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm surprised that I haven't seen anyone post "the internet package". In 2006 we took our son and our nephew on an 8 day exotic Mexican Riviera cruise. Of course back then the internet packages were not cheap I have to say. Although we paid for the cruise for both of them my nephew brought his own spending money. We booked one excursion for them both to go on their own. It was a horseback riding excursion in Zihuatanejo. They were a bit older than OP's kids..late teens.

Our son had brought his laptop even though we told him no internet..don't even think they had the smart phones back then or well at least the kids didn't have them. Anyway, our son who was going through this rough "emo" period was just so upset that we wouldn't buy the internet package. So upset that we almost just gave in even though part of our intention of taking him on the cruise was to have him experience the disconnect that we love so much when out at sea.

Lemme tell ya, the whole thing was not going over well at all until they came back from their horseback riding excursion. My son came up to me, thanked me and said that he had a great time and realized that not having the internet wasn't so bad. I was like "yes, he's finally getting it".

We still have a pic of him that was taken in Acapulco. He's sitting there with his dyed black hair looking down towards the water. It was taken right by where the cliff divers jump so if you know what I'm talking about there's that beautiful cove in the background. We titled the pic "Emo Kid without internet".

Anyway, he's married with his own son now. He's taking his wife on her first Cruise in a few months. I haven't asked him yet if their going to get an internet package or not but I've sure been wondering.

Oh and the other thing I wanted to mention. Both those kids went to dinner in the MDR every night even if we didn't! Dressed in tuxes on the formal nights. We just thought that was the cutest thing. My nephew loves to dine. They really didn't spend hardly anything the whole cruise. I bought some Pepsi's when we were in port and brought them back onboard. They enjoyed that and my nephew wanted me to buy him one of the nice Carnival robes..lol. I didn't do that and kinda regret it but we did buy quite a few of the formal pics because they turned out so well...different poses of the kids in their tuxes.