Explore 4- need some experienced HAL cruisers

goldiep

We are seriously considering a cruise on HAL for either late 2016 or possibly early 2017. I just received an ad from from an online TA claiming HAL typically only offers this once per year and it's valid only until end of this month for this year. Truth or hype? I would hate to miss it if we decide on the November sail.

We are seriously considering a cruise on HAL for either late 2016 or possibly early 2017. I just received an ad from from an online TA claiming HAL typically only offers this once per year and it's valid only until end of this month for this year. Truth or hype? I would hate to miss it if we decide on the November sail.

It does end on Oct 30 as I recall. It may be offered again at any time, no telling for sure, but it did end last Oct as well. Remember 2 things: 1) HAL is constantly running different promotions which may be better or worse for you. 2) on some cruises, you can get a fare price with and without Explore4, so ask about this and if it is offered, judge which is better for you.

Further, if you like the deal, go ahead and book this week. If HAL lowers the price later, or offers a better deal, you can always rebook then (as long as it is before final payment).

Not sure if I can be much help, but will try. Our experience is that Explore 4 is HAL's equivilent to a sale. Sales seem to be based upon:

1. Generating some early interest for a cruise that will not take place for some time yet.

2. Cruises that are much closer, but not selling well.

3. OTOH, we did get the Explore 4 last year for a standard balcony on one of the Ryndam 14 day Caribbean cruises last winter and booked pretty early. It was nice but as we are not big drinkers would not pay extra for it.

I book thru an on-line TA who will generally quote a cruise offering Explore 4 with pricing both ways. It generally is much less expensive without the Explore 4. YMMV. Good luck!

I've seen it offered more than once in a year, but it's true that this promo ends at the end of the week. For what it's worth, the current sale and promo is one of the best I've seen in a few years.

For what it's worth, the current sale and promo is one of the best I've seen in a few years.

POA1 is quite right. If you know what cruise you want, why not book it now and get the cabin of your choice? You will get the E4 plus the Cruise Month promos and On Board Credit. AND, As DaveOKC said, if you see a better deal later, you can always adjust, either asking for a re-book or changing to a different cruise. The only downside is the deposit requirement and you don't lose that unless you cancel AFTER final payment date.:):)

I already have two booked for next year (2016) and got E4 and Cruise Month on both.:)

Cheers!

Hmm, sounds pretty enticing. We just got off Celebrity Equinox and had their 1,2,3 Go offer. Like jimmy2x, we aren't big drinkers. But we love our wine with dinner and my morning cappuccino. This offer even had the gratuities added. We walked off that ship owing $30- unbelievable! Think I better give the other half a serious pitch.

Hmm, sounds pretty enticing. We just got off Celebrity Equinox and had their 1,2,3 Go offer. Like jimmy2x, we aren't big drinkers. But we love our wine with dinner and my morning cappuccino. This offer even had the gratuities added. We walked off that ship owing $30- unbelievable! Think I better give the other half a serious pitch.

And don't forget those bottles of water that you want for your shore excursions. Or the sodas you can put in you room cooler.:D:D

AZNative2000, please explain Cruise Month promos.

Not AZNative, but they're basically adding some extra OBC on top of the Explore 4. How much extra depends on the type of room and the particular sailing. If you want to compare prices with and without Explore 4, you can visit the travel site that has a gnome as its mascot. The two cruises we booked were the same price with and without, but sometimes it's better without. A poster last week said their cruise was MORE without Explore 4. So, take a minute and look yours up.

POA1 is quite right. If you know what cruise you want, why not book it now and get the cabin of your choice? You will get the E4 plus the Cruise Month promos and On Board Credit. AND, As DaveOKC said, if you see a better deal later, you can always adjust, either asking for a re-book or changing to a different cruise. The only downside is the deposit requirement and you don't lose that unless you cancel AFTER final payment date.:):)

I already have two booked for next year (2016) and got E4 and Cruise Month on both.:)

Cheers!

I agree. Well said.

Thanks all. I just went to "the gnome" and, if I'm reading the website correctly, the Explore 4 is much better than the standard rate for Aus/NZ cruise. But then again, I would never pay the standard, it was ridiculous. And POA1, I think I read one of your posts about wine"research" and it really made me smile. [emoji4]

Thanks all. I just went to "the gnome" and, if I'm reading the website correctly, the Explore 4 is much better than the standard rate for Aus/NZ cruise. But then again, I would never pay the standard, it was ridiculous. And POA1, I think I read one of your posts about wine"research" and it really made me smile. [emoji4]

The gnome usually lists Explore 4 Sale (Explore 4 price,) Hot Deal (price without Explore 4,) Limited Time Deal (other sales show up here, but not Explore 4,) and Standard Rate which is usually the non-discounted brochure rate.

Just for the heck of it, I looked at a Neptune Suite on the Konigsdam for a 14 day sailing on 8 January 2016. Explore 4 is USD$6,399 per person. Hot Deal is USD$5,578. The other two rates are almost $12K/pp.

It's always good to do your homework. :D

For our Caribbean cruise next December, we got a $300 OBC as part of Explore 4 and an extra $300 as part of National Plan a Cruise Month. We're in a suite. My father in law is a solo traveler in a regular balcony room. He got Explore 4 and an extra $100 bonus for Plan a Cruise Month.

Good luck on "selling it!"

Yep, Explore 4 and Hot Deals the same on this one. And AZNative2000, the website link wouldn't load. [emoji20]

Looks like your itinerary is a winner then! I was very excited about ours, because we hardly ever get to take advantage of these kinds of promotions, let alone ones where we can bundle things. I used to think it was great if we got a free Pinnacle dinner and a $50 beverage card. I can hardly contain the wellspring of my inner joy.

The gnome usually lists Explore 4 Sale (Explore 4 price,) Hot Deal (price without Explore 4,) Limited Time Deal (other sales show up here, but not Explore 4,) and Standard Rate which is usually the non-discounted brochure rate.

Just for the heck of it, I looked at a Neptune Suite on the Konigsdam for a 14 day sailing on 8 January 2016. Explore 4 is USD$6,399 per person. Hot Deal is USD$5,578. The other two rates are almost $12K/pp.

It's always good to do your homework. :D

For our Caribbean cruise next December, we got a $300 OBC as part of Explore 4 and an extra $300 as part of National Plan a Cruise Month. We're in a suite. My father in law is a solo traveler in a regular balcony room. He got Explore 4 and an extra $100 bonus for Plan a Cruise Month.

Good luck on "selling it!"

We booked a NS next October- 11 night Mexico. Between Explore 4, Cruise month, our FCD, and ZPM we are very happy. Would take a pretty big price drop to give up what we are getting. We paid for the SBC in September in Alaska and had no regrets. I like the fact that Explore 4 is tied to room card now and don't need to carry around a second card.

So please tell me, what does the Explore 4 Promo do for me? I am single, in a veranda cabin.

Does this pay for my wine at dinner? Can I get tonic to take back to my cabin to put on ice?

Can I order a gin and tonic in the bar, or the drink of the day?

I cannot order anything from room service?

Thank you for you help!

Sonja

So please tell me, what does the Explore 4 Promo do for me? I am single, in a veranda cabin.

Does this pay for my wine at dinner? Can I get tonic to take back to my cabin to put on ice?

Can I order a gin and tonic in the bar, or the drink of the day?

I cannot order anything from room service?

Thank you for you help!

Sonja

Wine will generally be the house wine, as others will be over the $8 limit.

No orders from room service.

Your other questions - YES.

If you have Explore 4 and want tonic, or soda of any kind for your room, just order an unopened can. It'll be no problem. All the drinks of the day will be covered as will all the drinks on the HAL specialty drinks list.

You can order wine by the glass at dinner. Any beverage, alcoholic or not, up under $8 is included. You cannot order drinks to be delivered to your room, but can order one at the bar and take it to your room. I believe you cannot take advantage of the happy hour specials...but then why do you need to with at $150 limit per day?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD