How long to get out of channel?

trackstarsmom

it's about 2 hours or so but I can't say we've ever been bothered by it. fog happened to us in November last year and we returned to port the evening before we were scheduled. again, it had no effect on our enjoyment since we don't gamble on the ship or drink alcohol. we had a great dinner and went to the bon voyage show. departures are much more problematic obviously. I don't know what percentage of sailings are affected but I don't think it's a big number.

Wow, if 2 hours bothers you, don't sail from NOLA! You don't hit the gulf until around midnight when sailing from there. Houston is an industrial port - and I don't remember seeing any beaches. Just relaxing water and dredging channels is all I remember.

The Houston Ship Channel has absolutely nothing to see. Possible to see a small pleasure boat or two, but no sightseeing. Down the Mississippi on the other hand, historic sites, small historic towns, huge amounts of river traffic from large freighters to other cruise ships and the never ending views of NO as the river channel twists and turns. If you stay up to see the entering of the Gulf you will see hundreds of oil rigs lit up. Quite a difference.

Fog in Houston/Galveston, can come at any time, but is fairly uncommon. But when it does come, the Channel closes and everyone waits. Probably no more than three or four times a year that affects cruise traffic.

The Houston Ship Channel has absolutely nothing to see. Possible to see a small pleasure boat or two, but no sightseeing. Down the Mississippi on the other hand, historic sites, small historic towns, huge amounts of river traffic from large freighters to other cruise ships and the never ending views of NO as the river channel twists and turns. If you stay up to see the entering of the Gulf you will see hundreds of oil rigs lit up. Quite a difference.

Fog in Houston/Galveston, can come at any time, but is fairly uncommon. But when it does come, the Channel closes and everyone waits. Probably no more than three or four times a year that affects cruise traffic.

This time of year, all you see is lights when you sail down the Mississippi. You can see lights of other river traffic, but you don't see the vessels until you are right next to them. And you will see the oil rigs when sailing out of Houston, Galveston and NOLA. You just see them sooner out of Houston and Galveston.

The "WoW" was just a surprise. First time cruising out of Houston, I have always cruised out of Miami or Ft. Lauderdale or even Port Canaveral. I actually think a long channel ride will be interesting and different. Just was wondering if I should stay out on the balcony for any special views !!!

The "WoW" was just a surprise. First time cruising out of Houston, I have always cruised out of Miami or Ft. Lauderdale or even Port Canaveral. I actually think a long channel ride will be interesting and different. Just was wondering if I should stay out on the balcony for any special views !!!

If you like watching birds or commercial boat, it can be cool. Personally, I love watching the water move. It's very relaxing.

Tampa is OK, its about 2 hours to the bridge

If you like watching birds or commercial boat, it can be cool. Personally, I love watching the water move. It's very relaxing.

In my case, you get to hear me singing "Proud Mary" for hours and hours on the balcony....Just kidding, I did sing it once though, how can you not sing Rolling on the River....