Dress Code for Specialty Dining? Chops or Giovanni’s

D C

We're sailing on the Independence in a couple of months with extended family, and are having some consternation over dining & attire.

Our college-aged son is 6'5 with even longer arms, and weighs about 175lb soaking wet. i.e. very tall & very skinny. He doesn't own anything even close to a proper jacket, and you can't exactly run to Kohl's and grab something off the rack for him.

So we're considering an alternative on formal night, either Chops or Giovanni’s if they work out. I've seen "formal everywhere", "never formal for specialty", and of course comments about those who don't even make an effort and wear shorts.

What's the straight scoop for Royal Caribbean and formal nights? Is our strategy sound? Are jackets really required anywhere for formal night? It's our first RCI cruise, and we're hardly cruise veterans.

Thanks!

Dave

Edited by D C

As for dress in the Main Dining Room on formal night, no jackets aren't really required. They're suggested, but they're not going to throw your son out for, say, a button-up shirt and khakis, or a shirt, tie, and slacks. I see two other posters have already mentioned that they request Smart Casual in the specialty restaurants, at minimum. Royal defines "Smart Casual" as "Jackets and ties for men." Again, though, I've seen guy sans jackets and in polo shirts and they've been fine in the specialty restaurants.

Edited by garnetpalmetto

As for dress in the Main Dining Room on formal night, no jackets aren't really required. They're suggested, but they're not going to throw your son out for, say, a button-up shirt and khakis, or a shirt, tie, and slacks. I see two other posters have already mentioned that they request Smart Casual in the specialty restaurants, at minimum. Royal defines "Smart Casual" as "Jackets and ties for men." Again, though, I've seen guy sans jackets and in polo shirts and they've been fine in the specialty restaurants.

Thanks!

But no wonder why it's confusing, they need to get their act together with their own definitions.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=336&faqSubjectName=Food+%26+Beverage&faqId=3240

Smart Casual:

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a blouse.

Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a collared shirt.

but wait...

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/whatToPack.do

Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

ARGH!!

Edited by D C

We just got off the Freedom on Sunday and ate at Giovanni's 3 times. I refuse to wear a suit. (Let the shaming begin. :D) But I certainly try to look nice. I wore long pants - not jeans and a pressed polo shirt. I was comfortable and we LOVED it.

(That's why we went 3 times!) Staff and food AMAZING! They could not have taken better care of us - and we were a party of 8!

We just got off the Freedom on Sunday and ate at Giovanni's 3 times. I refuse to wear a suit. (Let the shaming begin. :D) But I certainly try to look nice. I wore long pants - not jeans and a pressed polo shirt. I was comfortable and we LOVED it.

(That's why we went 3 times!) Staff and food AMAZING! They could not have taken better care of us - and we were a party of 8!

That's a good endorsement (for both the attire and the food) ;)

Any suggested favorites from the menu?

Edited by D C

I like the lasagne, which is only on the lunch menu, but I've been able to get it for dinner upon request.

Don't miss:

mozzarella appetizer (wrapped in prosciutto and drizzled with a neat mustard served on crostini)

the sole entree (either the lunch or the dinner menu - possibly the best fish I've had at sea)

the fillet!!!!!!! (either sauce - gorgonzola butter or the Barolo reduction) This steak was 10x better than the one we had at Chops! Just sayin'

the pappardelle with pancetta (the unexpected favorite)

All of the food was great - but these were my favorites. My family all loved their dishes each time we dined there.

Hope that helps - the desserts are fantastic too.

We're sailing on the Independence in a couple of months with extended family, and are having some consternation over dining & attire.

Our college-aged son is 6'5 with even longer arms, and weighs about 175lb soaking wet. i.e. very tall & very skinny. He doesn't own anything even close to a proper jacket, and you can't exactly run to Kohl's and grab something off the rack for him.

So we're considering an alternative on formal night, either Chops or Giovanni’s if they work out. I've seen "formal everywhere", "never formal for specialty", and of course comments about those who don't even make an effort and wear shorts.

What's the straight scoop for Royal Caribbean and formal nights? Is our strategy sound? Are jackets really required anywhere for formal night? It's our first RCI cruise, and we're hardly cruise veterans.

Thanks!

Dave

It's all casual.

Thanks!

Dave

The last time I brought a jacket on a cruise was about 10 years ago. Over the whole formal thing.. I would say only about 50% of people participate in formal attire. In specialty restaurants its always business casual at best.

The last time I brought a jacket on a cruise was about 10 years ago. Over the whole formal thing.. I would say only about 50% of people participate in formal attire. In specialty restaurants its always business casual at best.

The only ships that enforce wearing a jacket is the Quantum class for the Grande restaurant. They won't let you in without at least a sport-coat. If you don't have one, they will lend you one for the meal.

Edited by Cruising-Snowbird

The only ships that enforce wearing a jacket is the Quantum class for the Grande restaurant. They won't let you in without at least a sport-coat. If you don't have one, they will lend you one for the meal.

Thanks. That would be amusing to see what they come back with for my kid. :)

Thanks. That would be amusing to see what they come back with for my kid. :)

I'm sure with a couple sheets of canvas, somebody in the deck/maintenance departments could whip something up. :p

At any rate, I think you shouldn't sweat formal night in the Main Dining Room quite as much. I'd definitely recommend you go to at least one (not sure how long your cruise is, you may have more than one) just for the experience. The menus aren't bad either. Carved filet of beef tenderloin on the first one and, if there's a second, lobster.

Edited by garnetpalmetto

Getting ready to get on the Anthem in December. Last time I cruised with RCCL was on the Allure. That was a few years ago.

No matter the night (formal or not), I wore pants and either a polo or button shirt, MDR, Giovanis Table and Chops. No problems.

ALthough it's been discussed ad infintum here, the so called formal nights are becoming anything but. On the Allure, the vast majority of men wore button down shirts and pressed slacks on formal night(s). Ladies dressed in sun dresses or pants suits.

There were a few people in suits and dresses, and even less in tuxes and gowns.

I'm expecting there to be even less now, as the cruise industry is rushing headlong into being much more casual.

On the Anthem, I'll take a couple of dress shirts and some khaki pants to wear in the specialty restaurants, and will be fine.

We're on Freedom this Sunday. I dress for work every day (law office). Come dinner time, smart casual is the most I'll do. I'm on vacation. A clean, cool dress and pretty sandals is plenty good enough for eating anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure with a couple sheets of canvas, somebody in the deck/maintenance departments could whip something up. :p

At any rate, I think you shouldn't sweat formal night in the Main Dining Room quite as much. I'd definitely recommend you go to at least one (not sure how long your cruise is, you may have more than one) just for the experience. The menus aren't bad either. Carved filet of beef tenderloin on the first one and, if there's a second, lobster.

There's a different/better menu on formal night? I've only cruised twice before, both on Celebrity, and caught formal night only once. I honestly don't recall it being different than normal.

We're on a 5-night on the Independence.

Thanks for the help everyone! Much appreciated!

Since you're on a 5-day you'll only have one formal night. There's a different menu each night in the MDR. Usually the only formal night on a 5-day cruise is on the second night and will be the Saffron menu (pages 6-7). The other nights are up for grabs but most frequently I've seen the Mojo menu used on the first night and the Pimiento menu used on the third night. The other formal night menu is the Jasmine menu, so I doubt you'll have that. That leaves two of Basil, Shiitake, Pomodoro, or maybe the Portobello menu for your other two nights.

Edited by garnetpalmetto