Best Place to Stay and park

CheerMom15

Thanks for the info.

We get in around 2 so yes, we'll need to eat dinner somewhere.

I'd say our overall budget for the hotel/dinner/transportation (from the airport to the hotel, from the hotel to the pier and from the pier back to the airport) would be $500.

Someone on another thread mentioned the shuttle van type taxis at the pier that go to the airport and said they were $10 pp.

Thanks again!

That's a healthy budget. I'd book Country Inns (kayak is offering it at $130 Prepaid). I'd book a car service like Dial7 or Carmel Limo (look for online coupons) to go from the hotel to the port and the port to the airport. This will give you control over your timing and you won't be herded with others onto a bus that leaves at noon for the port. I'd try to leave around 10 am.

If you don't want to take Airtrain to the hotel shuttle P4 pickup, you can just take a cab to the hotel for $25.

Note: without a car there is no place to buy your two bottles of wine in the airport area.

That's a healthy budget. I'd book Country Inns (kayak is offering it at $130 Prepaid). I'd book a car service like Dial7 or Carmel Limo (look for online coupons) to go from the hotel to the port and the port to the airport. This will give you control over your timing and you won't be herded with others onto a bus that leaves at noon for the port. I'd try to leave around 10 am.

If you don't want to take Airtrain to the hotel shuttle P4 pickup, you can just take a cab to the hotel for $25.

Note: without a car there is no place to buy your two bottles of wine in the airport area.

I looked at Kayak and saw my night for $110. But, I do have another question.

I was looking at the various packages for Country Inn and Suites in Newark and it seemed to indicate shuttle from the airport was NOT included in the price. I also realized I have a free night with Club Carlson so may be able to get the room using that.

Thanks for your help, I do appreciate it.

As for the limo service, wow, not cheap. $90 from the hotel to the pier (Carmel). I guess that's the East Coast!

Edited by MrsB05

I looked at Kayak and saw my night for $110. But, I do have another question.

I was looking at the various packages for Country Inn and Suites in Newark and it seemed to indicate shuttle from the airport was NOT included in the price. I also realized I have a free night with Club Carlson so may be able to get the room using that.

Thanks for your help, I do appreciate it.

As for the limo service, wow, not cheap. $90 from the hotel to the pier (Carmel). I guess that's the East Coast!

I'm confused. Country Inns provides a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel from the P4 Airtrain station. They are currently charging $70 round trip for two people from the hotel to the port and folks gave been able to buy that as an add on. Why don't you call the hotel directly midday during the week to ask questions and get more details. Basically the hotel knows how many people need the shuttle and they hire an appropriately sized vehicle. I haven't used it, but folks report a noon departure with sometimes mass mob scenes in the small lobby waiting for the transportation. I also don't know if they will drop you back at the airport or the hotel on return.

Carmel's quote is expensive. Let's get some suggestions from other folks.

I'm not sure why Carmel is quoting such a high price, other than my general observation is that I've heard they don't want to do business between one place in NJ and another unless it involves a trip starting or ending at EWR. For example, Carmel is quoting about $50 plus toll and tip for a trip from EWR to Cape Liberty, which is about right.

I got a quote from Dial 7's website of about $50 (plus tolls and tip), which is also about right, for the trip between Elizabeth and Cape Liberty that Carmel is asking $90 for.

My suggestion is to use Dial 7, rather than Carmel for the trip from the hotel to Cape Liberty cruise port.

I'm not sure why Carmel is quoting such a high price, other than my general observation is that I've heard they don't want to do business between one place in NJ and another unless it involves a trip starting or ending at EWR. For example, Carmel is quoting about $50 plus toll and tip for a trip from EWR to Cape Liberty, which is about right.

I got a quote from Dial 7's website of about $50 (plus tolls and tip), which is also about right, for the trip between Elizabeth and Cape Liberty that Carmel is asking $90 for.

My suggestion is to use Dial 7, rather than Carmel for the trip from the hotel to Cape Liberty cruise port.

I was able to book County Inn using some of my points which brought the rate down to $93 + tax.

I'll call them next week to confirm the shuttle from EWR to the hotel.

$50 sounds more reasonable. Is there a reason to book it this far in advance? There are folks we know on this cruise that we can share the ride back to EWR from the pier with so that's good!

Thanks so much!!

I was able to book County Inn using some of my points which brought the rate down to $93 + tax.

I'll call them next week to confirm the shuttle from EWR to the hotel.

$50 sounds more reasonable. Is there a reason to book it this far in advance? There are folks we know on this cruise that we can share the ride back to EWR from the pier with so that's good!

Thanks so much!!

Country Inns definitely offers an airport shuttle. The is on their web site:

Airport shuttle service to and from Newark Airport AirTran Station P4 every 30 minutes, 15 minutes past the hour and 15 minutes before the hour; call the hotel to arrange for pickups needed between 1 to 4 a.m. (complimentary)

Edited by 138east

Country Inns definitely offers an airport shuttle. The is on their web site:

Airport shuttle service to and from Newark Airport AirTran Station P4 every 30 minutes, 15 minutes past the hour and 15 minutes before the hour; call the hotel to arrange for pickups needed between 1 to 4 a.m. (complimentary)

I looked all over the website and did not see that anywhere!

Thanks!

There's no reason to book car service with a large company like Dial 7 from the hotel to the port this far in advance.

You can do it a month in advance, or even later.

Thanks. That's what I was hoping!

Newark Airport is awash with transportation. No reason to worry about booking what is considered a "local" trip months and months ahead.

For a no frills service you can call 4-6 weeks ahead - Independent driver - 888-816-0973 No web site.

• 6 months later...

Hi Carol,

I booked with Trinity reservations following your advice 6 months ago for my cruise in 3 weeks! I can't believe it is almost here. My question is, it appears they are now offering both the Ramada and Spring Hill Suites for a negligible price difference. Which would you recommend?

Hi Carol,

I booked with Trinity reservations following your advice 6 months ago for my cruise in 3 weeks! I can't believe it is almost here. My question is, it appears they are now offering both the Ramada and Spring Hill Suites for a negligible price difference. Which would you recommend?

I'm seeing that Spinghill Suites is $51 more. Is that what you're seeing?

To me it wouldn't be worth it. Ramada is a full service hotel with a restaurant, cafe, and sports bar. The Doubletree is next door with more eating options. Springhill Suites offers free breakfast but has no restaurants. The only place to eat in that enclave of hotels is the nearby Courtyard.