Looking for advice/comments on Nieuw Amsterdam OV cabins

CowPrincess

I think I've decided to take the NA to Alaska next year. I'm considering either an E or a G cabin, travelling solo and the single supplement is painful :)

I'd really appreciate anyone's/everyone's comments and thoughts about the Category E cabins on Main Deck, starboard 1111 to 1127. And the G cabins on Upper Promendade, starboard 4063, 4071, 4079, 4087, 4101, 4111, and 4121. Noise, location, how the views are....

Thanks very much in advance!

We once booked 4079 based on pictures we found on our favorite banned site, :) but upgraded before the cruise. Google /4079-eurodam/, /4079-nieuw-amsterdam/ or /4121-eurodam/ for pics.

We did once occupy and G cabin you did not list, 4094. We liked the location except for the loud music coming up the stairs from the Ocean Bar every night. Google /4094-eurodam/ for a view out that window.

We also once had eurodam H4130 which had a surprisingly good view for a "fully obstructed". (Google /4130-eurodam/ ) I would recommend that or its starboard counterpart 4127.

attachment.php?attachmentid=93720&d=1224460733

Edited by jtl513

It would cost a little more but if you want a larger room, bigger window and "Captain's view" the category CQ on deck 10 forward will give you all of the above.

Forward facing, the rooms are wider and the window is also quite a bit larger

Thanks for that idea. I did think about your suggestion, but I need very little space, it will just be me. I'm not wild about being that far forward, either ;) If DH was coming with me, he would want that location. Me? Not so much ;)

Thanks for that idea. I did think about your suggestion, but I need very little space, it will just be me. I'm not wild about being that far forward, either ;) If DH was coming with me, he would want that location. Me? Not so much ;)

Understandable. It's one of those great "hidden gems" I like to make sure people at least are aware of :)

When are you thinking of going? Just asking because there is a group of the Sailaway Gang sailing the NA in May. Come join us.:D

Edited to add.... our sailaways from each port have been known to be quite the event, LOL.

Edited by Lizzie68

When are you thinking of going? Just asking because there is a group of the Sailaway Gang sailing the NA in May. Come join us.:D

Edited to add.... our sailaways from each port have been known to be quite the event, LOL.

Oooooh, that's interesting! I'm going in May -- easiest time for me to get away. What date is the Sailaway Gang cruise? I was looking at Noordam, too, but I think I've decided on NA .... getting out of my comfort zone :D

Oooooh, that's interesting! I'm going in May -- easiest time for me to get away. What date is the Sailaway Gang cruise? I was looking at Noordam, too, but I think I've decided on NA .... getting out of my comfort zone :D

They are on the May 7th, 2015 cruise on the N.A.

Some on the Westerdam on April 2nd as well. And the lucky ones are on both :)

It should be a fun cruise :)

Sail a ways are always fun with the sail a way gang :)

We are all going on May 7th, although Lizzie may make it a two week cruise and get on a week ahead of us. It would be terrific if you were to join us. :D

Oops sorry, I missed this post. As the others have said, May 7th for Sailaway gang, though I am also on one week prior. Come join us, we can guarantee some fun.

Another invitation to join us on the 7 May sailing. I am going solo as well. I am used to forward cabins (even forward facing ones) and will be in an "F" cabin. That 200% solo price is a pain. One of the things I really like about HAL is there is usually only (only???) a 160-170% solo price - not sure why Alaska is 200%.

Another invitation to join us on the 7 May sailing. I am going solo as well. I am used to forward cabins (even forward facing ones) and will be in an "F" cabin. That 200% solo price is a pain. One of the things I really like about HAL is there is usually only (only???) a 160-170% solo price - not sure why Alaska is 200%.

I really liked that cabin you had on the Westie. It was a really unique layout, and with the forward facing window as well - it looked just perfect for a solo cruiser, and very roomy.

Who's on both, jacqui?

sapper1 is on both for sure.

Along with Scrapnana (along with her great blogs)

I think Vict0riann is considering it as am I. (We are already on the Westerdam with a bunch of other sail a way gang people).

It would be fun to meet up with those that can't do the previous cruise and meet all of roll call members :)

Who's on both, jacqui?

There are about 11 of us from the last Sailaway Gang cruise, and some of them are also doing the April Westie cruise, and then hopping onto the NA cruise, so a fun time is assured. So Cow Princess and Innlady1 - take your pick.:D

I'm baaaaack :D Sorry I didn't reply, I got some bad vehicle news that threw me for a loop.

Spent much of yesterday doing up a "vehicle replacement plan". Sigh. But the good news is I found the cash I will need to buy a new car. And decided on the car make and model I will probably buy. And can still probably take this cruise :D

(we already had to scrounge up the cash for a new car for DH just recently.... sigh....)

I'm baaaaack :D Sorry I didn't reply, I got some bad vehicle news that threw me for a loop.

Spent much of yesterday doing up a "vehicle replacement plan". Sigh. But the good news is I found the cash I will need to buy a new car. And decided on the car make and model I will probably buy. And can still probably take this cruise :D

(we already had to scrounge up the cash for a new car for DH just recently.... sigh....)

Ouch on the vehicle replacement. And double ouch on having to find the cash for it when you are trying to plan a cruise:(. Could you possibly hang on for a "Zero percent down" offer, or something similar. You have to get your priorities in order.:D

Ouch on the vehicle replacement. And double ouch on having to find the cash for it when you are trying to plan a cruise:(. Could you possibly hang on for a "Zero percent down" offer, or something similar. You have to get your priorities in order.:D

That is a VERY good thought but no, I detest having to make payments. It'll be paid for when it is purchased. The most awkward bit is that I don't know if that will be next week, next month, next year ... just whenever the current vehicle breaks down.

At least I am mentally prepared. And I have the make and model of the new car selected.

You are SO right about priorities :D

It would cost a little more but if you want a larger room, bigger window and "Captain's view" the category CQ on deck 10 forward will give you all of the above.

Forward facing, the rooms are wider and the window is also quite a bit larger

One of my cabana "neighbours" showed me this cabin that he had. Those are impressive cabins.

Oh I feel your pain! And it seems that the price on the May 7 NA cruise increased recently (I have not yet booked).

A couple of years ago I was solo to Alaska, and I was booked at 200%. Before final payment date, a higher category was selling at 150% (still an OV, but better location than what I had booked) and was able to move to it for less money than my original cabin ;) I check the pricing quite often, and it certainly paid off for me that time. So keep checking, you never know what you might find.

I know DH and I would love to join the May 7 gang! If we were to do it though, it would have to be very last minute, as we just don't know what the situation will be like here in the Spring. Fortunately, we are near Vancouver, and this year we booked our Volendam Alaska cruise just a couple of weeks beforehand. It worked out well. So I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I know DH and I would love to join the May 7 gang! If we were to do it though, it would have to be very last minute, as we just don't know what the situation will be like here in the Spring. Fortunately, we are near Vancouver, and this year we booked our Volendam Alaska cruise just a couple of weeks beforehand. It worked out well. So I'll keep my fingers crossed.

And we will keep our fingers crossed too.:D