Looking for advice/comments on Nieuw Amsterdam OV cabins

CowPrincess

I think I should give some serious thought to staying on the NA. How fun would that cruise be:D?

That'd be awesome! If I'm still working and have the money for this cruise, and if you are still not working and have the time, that'd be awesome. We could figure out a "meet up"!

Note, I'm still not booked and the pricing right now is prohibitive for me.

That would be great, cruz chic and CowPrincess!

I may book this one, too. Will do at the "last minute" ...wait and see if the price drops.

How cold is Alaska in May?

Yay! Sorry I don't know about May, this is early for me. Only going this early the season because others from the Sailaway Gang are tagging it onto the end of their S. Pacific cruise.:o

I know DH and I would love to join the May 7 gang! If we were to do it though, it would have to be very last minute, as we just don't know what the situation will be like here in the Spring. Fortunately, we are near Vancouver, and this year we booked our Volendam Alaska cruise just a couple of weeks beforehand. It worked out well. So I'll keep my fingers crossed.

That would be great, cruz chic and CowPrincess!

I may book this one, too. Will do at the "last minute" ...wait and see if the price drops.

How cold is Alaska in May?

I suspect I will wait for a while yet before booking, too. Not sure if I want to risk the "last minute" window, but I'd be comfortable at 60ish days out. Of course I will keep watching for price drops in the meantime. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi CowPrincess -- I know this thread has been sleeping a month, but I'm just now getting back in the CC/HAL swing as I put money down on March 2017 yesterday.

We did the TA and western Med (to Venice) on NA last April. We had booked an inside guarantee with a mass-market-mailing "travel agent", believing we would get a Super K or 'square' J cabin. When it turned out we'd been "upgraded" to a narrow little inside with a single chair albeit on a higher deck, we took the upsell to an OV on Main -- #1050. Just to have a sofa!

The window WAS nice, even though the view was always the same for the first 8 days and we were rarely in the room the other 18 (port-intensive!). The room was VERY quiet -- one night I got up to look out the window because I thought the ship had stopped moving! It was convenient to the showroom (also the gathering place for tenders and ship's excursions on those many port days) and the Front Desk/Attrium, even though the deck plan looks like you cannot walk straight through to there, you can.

Just some thoughts, if you haven't already booked.

Hi, Cow Princess. I was cruising when this thread came around the first time, so never saw it. I have experience in both locations, albeit the inside cabins on Main Deck.

On Main Deck, the closer you are to mid-ship, and on starboard side, the better off you are. It's well located in terms of services on that deck, smooth ride, and that area is free from noise. The BB King band above is noisy for those on port side (check the deckplans to see where the bandstand is---not the entrance), and a tad further forward.

I have been in an outside on Upper Promenade, slightly aft of the forward elevators. The room size was good; it was nice for this cave dweller to check the weather. There was no noise.

Personally, I prefer Main Deck, but there are plenty of good cabins on many decks.

Crystalspin, thanks for the recommendation on that specific cabin :)

RuthC, I just checked the deck plan. To me it looks like BB King is on the starboard side. So I'd want to avoid starboard side on Main Deck, right?

Thanks for the replies. I am still not booked. HAL is running another promo, where the OVs and the Verandahs are the same price (and I think they just hiked the prices on the OVs, doesn't seem like the Verandah prices have dropped). So I may not have much choice of cabins when I finally book, since I can't afford the current OV price ....

Edited by CowPrincess

RuthC, I just checked the deck plan. To me it looks like BB King is on the starboard side. So I'd want to avoid starboard side on Main Deck, right?
The corridor and entrance to the Queen's Lounge are on the starboard, but the bandstand and speakers are closer to the port side ... about over 1054 I would say. You want to avoid cabins in that area.

Yes, thanks, jtl. I'm late to the party today, so am grateful you explained it perfectly.

As a matter of fact, I had friends in cabin 1054 on my last cruise. They are normally "early to bed" people, but just could not sleep most nights due to the awful amount of noise coming from the BB King Band. Their cabin was ground zero, as it were.

Someone suggested that the inside cabins under their bandstand should be allocated to the members of the Band. That way no one would be disturbed by them.

Good idea! :D