New to Cunard

fudge

Hi Everybody,

I am new to Cunard, please go easy on me.

We are not experienced sailors, only sailed with Silversea and Seabourn. My TA has mailed me with details of the refurbished Queen Mary 2, with several transatlantic sailings.

I quite like the idea of this trip my questions are:

1. The suite we like is a Q7 Queens grill.

2. Apparently we have access to the Queens Grill lounge.

What standard is the Queens Grill suite please? What is on offer in the lounge, we are not huge drinkers but do enjoy the odd "tipple" are any drinks included in the lounge or on board?

Does the cruise line offer drinks packages?

Any advise would be very much appreciated thank you.:)

I'm sure someone will come back to you about QM we have just returned from QV in QG. There are soft drinks packages (which don't include water or coffee) wine packages for the dining room. In your suite you get a bottle of champagne and a bottle of pol acker, beers and soft drinks in your fridge replenished as often as you like and 2 bottles of your preferred spirits. The QG lounge has afternoon tea service and a bar open in the evenings it is a very pleasant place. Hope this helps

Thanks everybody for your replies, much appreciated. We did not realise Q7 was a disabled facility, we do not need this facility.

Are you allowed to take your own alcohol on board?

Hey, Fudge.

We have booked the Dec 8 from NYC to Soton with 3 nights in the Langham 5th Avenue. We've gone for the P1 (Princess Grill suites) on cost grounds. (It's a long way from the Amazon on Whisper!)

As you know we are SS habituees but thought we had to have at least one trip on the world's last transatlantic liner. From chatting to plenty of folk on SS that have ''done'' Cunard we should expect it to be quite different in atmosphere. Particularly we shall miss the ''on-demand'' nature of SS. I mean to say, having to pay for drinks? Choosing a table at the start of the voyage? And all those other touches that a small ship can provide.

But it's got to be done, hasn't it?

Having sailed on Seaborne once, never again! The grade cabin we had on Seaborne was a glass fronted balcony cannot remember the grade but certainly not the cheapest I think higher than midrange.

The Britania grade that we choose on Cunard is slightly smaller at close to half the price for the trip. The bath room on Seabourne is nicer and fractionally larger

The food on Seabourne was not good on our trip, no fresh milk only UHT! My husband ate steak most nights as there was so little choice,and he's not that keen on steak!

The food in Britania has always been excellent,and the alternative resturant is really good shame about the venue.

The difference in price Far exceeds any alcohol that you could drink IMO. The QGs and PG windows look out onto the promenade deck so that means when you are dining people are walking past all the time

Obviously if you want a butler thats a different story.

There are certain areas that only QG can go into.

Its a totally different shipboaed experience between the 2 lines.

I just wanted to comment regarding the people walking on the Promenade being able to see into the QG and PG windows. The glass is reflective. You really can't see inside during the day. At night you can see inside, but the Promenade usage drops off to almost nothing.

I wouldn't worry about people watching you slurp your soup. I found it interesting to sit at the table and people watch as they passed by the window.

Edited by orvil

Tothesunset,

We are really tempted, the offer sounds to good to be true, friends of ours are on that cruise right now, will be interesting to hear how they liked it, they were "down the Amazon" with us.

You are right, it will be totally different to SS or Seabourn but hopefully in a nice way.

Hi Everybody,

I am new to Cunard, please go easy on me.

We are not experienced sailors, only sailed with Silversea and Seabourn. My TA has mailed me with details of the refurbished Queen Mary 2, with several transatlantic sailings.

I quite like the idea of this trip my questions are:

1. The suite we like is a Q7 Queens grill.

2. Apparently we have access to the Queens Grill lounge.

What standard is the Queens Grill suite please? What is on offer in the lounge, we are not huge drinkers but do enjoy the odd "tipple" are any drinks included in the lounge or on board?

Does the cruise line offer drinks packages?

Any advise would be very much appreciated thank you.:)

1)Q-7 is a "wheelchair" accessible cabin. They may want proof of your needing a handicap room

2)Yes, you have access to the Queens Grill lounge. A great spot for tea. The teas offered are generally nicer than aboard the rest of the ship. Thee is a nice tea menu. Choose from it. Don't let the waiter pour just any tea, ask to choose from the tea menu. Frequently there are guest musicians who perform in the lounge. A nice place to take in a fine Pianist or violinist.

3)Standard would be Queens Grill level. Food is outstanding(do feel free to venture off menu for items not seen on the menu)There are various drink packages. You DO have a complimentary liquor/wine bar in your cabin. You'll have a list to fill out. You'll have butler service as well. All in all..prepare to have a grand time! The only downside is that Silversea/Seaborn are full luxury lines. The Grills are luxury, but the rest of the ship is a bit more standard(yeah, I'll get flamed for it!)