Photos..Jewel OTS Vancouver to LA plus S. California Sept 2015

This was our 40th cruise but the first time we had been to any of these ports with the exception of LA before our Panama Canal trip in 2006. Also this was our first time on the Jewel, completing the quartet of Radiance class ships for us.

We flew into Vancouver 2 days prior but because American pushed our departure from Florida back from 6 AM to 2 PM we didn't get into YVR until late at night so the first day was spent flying from FLL to Dallas and then up to YVR. It left us totally jet lagged and what with both of us being slightly under the weather to begin with there aren't a lot of pictures until the second day of the cruise in Victoria.

We stayed at the Comfort Inn in downtown Vancouver, booked by our friends who like cheaper hotels. Serviceable but not great. And the price was reasonable..

We did take the HoHo tour of the city but because it was gray and overcast and the bus bounced and had streaky windows we didn't get decent shots so no pictures of the city.

We did notice that the city is highly "green" .Most of the cabs were Prius' which is a problem when you have two people and two weeks worth of luggage covering multiple temperature zones. But the taxi dispatcher at the airport located a minivan cab for us.

Most of the busses drew their power from overhead electrical lines so there were very few diesels throwing up particulates, real pollution. And also the only pictures I have from Vancouver.

Jewel%20West%20Coast%201506_zps63m6nz9o.jpg

and

Jewel%20West%20Coast%201504_zps6ligvfxw.jpg

We took a cab into Chinatown for dinner but I can't locate any pictures so maybe we misplaced a memory card for that first day. Or used the smartphones??

Edited by The Big Booper

Our first scheduled stop was in Victoria. Not being an early bird you won't be seeing any sailing-into-the-harbor-pictures out of any camera I am using.:)

Since we had 4 adults in our group I wanted to rent a car and drive to Butchart Gardens but was outvoted 3 to 1. So we took the expensive ship's tour instead. The place was about 40 minutes away and was an easy drive on the bus. The day was overcast with threats of drizzles and rains, what else, so we took our two waterproof cameras and left the bigger higher quality cameras back on the ship.

Vic1_zpsx1mq8ezc.jpg

The Gardens themselves were beautiful and lived up to expectations.

Vic2_zpsmutxedmd.jpg

Vic2a_zpsrtdqvzcz.jpg

Vic3_zpsjm4q3bah.jpg

Vic4_zpsiyxje2o4.jpg

Edited by The Big Booper

Vic16_zpsjpwbpr5o.jpg

The quality of these photos was not as good as I was looking for but these two waterproofs are 3.5 and 7 years old and the lighting was dreary.

We went back to the ship and the bus driver did give us a short tour of other parts of Victoria. I was still not feeling great and didn't lug cameras to dinner .

We did have a flying thingee when we went back to our cabin later that night.

Vic17_zpssmjpw0r8.jpg

The next day dawned...cloudy and gray and slightly chilly. Nothing new here. Since we were re-entering the US to stay the passengers had to go thru customs and with no facilities on shore the ICE folks set up shop on board. Every deck was assigned a time frame to head down to the dining room to file past the officials and present passports and have our seapass card clipped. The process was fairly fast and efficient.

Once complete the ship cleared and we were allowed to disembark.

Astoria was once a major lumbering area and even though much smaller, there is still a forestry presence here. The city lies next to the mighty Columbia River.

Ast1_zps6v9brpca.jpg

The Astoria-Megler Bridge, opened in 1962, connects Oregon to the State of Washington. Once a toll bridge, after the bonds were paid off, the 21,500 foot span was converted to a free bridge. On a cloudy day like today the span disappears into the fog and haze.

Ast2_zpsdijbzi4n.jpg

Ast3_zpsvza8o1pc.jpg

Ast4_zpskmwzhtxp.jpg

Ast5_zpsj4kon9sk.jpg

Ast6_zps11btkhql.jpg

Edited by The Big Booper

I saw this boat tied up and immediately thought...where's Tink and Peter? Probably back in Vancouver acting in TV.

Ast12_zpst2rwb2yo.jpg

I have no idea what these buildings are or were but they looked stately.

Ast13_zpssfn4z7i5.jpg

Ast14_zpsgd4qv6ug.jpg

Eventually we made our way back to the ship on one of the shuttles and decided to hit the theater for the RCS&D show for the Evening, West End to Broadway. Obviously not up to the caliber of the shows on the big ships and most of the cast seemed youngish.

On the following day we went on the back stage tour, given by the dance captain, and were told that for some in the cast, it was their first professional performing job. Makes sense, this ship lives in the backwaters of Alaska, the PC and San Juan and is a good place to learn the business.

Ast16_zpsuylr3bw7.jpg

Ast17_zpsnawpwtyc.jpg

Ast18_zpsvisuieui.jpg

Edited by The Big Booper

Big Booper,

Not sure what the problem is but your pictures are not showing up. Looking forward to following along.

Cindy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I see them and am using IE.

None of them????

Logged in with Mozilla now, some of the pics are not showing.

They are on Photobucket and appear to be large sized.

I pay the yearly fee to avoid bandwidth issues. Maybe I can shrink them.

Edited by The Big Booper

I see them and am using IE.

None of them????

Logged in with Mozilla now, some of the pics are not showing.

They are on Photobucket and appear to be large sized.

I pay the yearly fee to avoid bandwidth issues. Maybe I can shrink them.

Most of them say "click to view photos" then when clicked they say not available. Most showed on the first couple of posts but the last post or two only 1 or 2 show.

Most of them say "click to view photos" then when clicked they say not available. Most showed on the first couple of posts but the last post or two only 1 or 2 show.

Same with me.

I sent support a query.

Until then I'll limit links to 3 per post and see what happens.

This was the only day at sea on the trip so a lot of stuff got shoe horned in.

First up was the back stage tour with the Dance Captain as our tour guide. He spent much of the time explaining activities behind the curtain and entertaining us with show-biz slang. "Park and Bark" anyone. I never knew that his position had so much power.

Sea1_zpsf5hgangy.jpg

After his talk we ran up to catch the end of the M & M.

Then I went up to say farewell to the Seaview Cafe. Best burgers on the ship.

Sea2_zpsdbw7hrv1.jpg

Sea4_zpsgnlhdflh.jpg

Sea3_zpsbrjykp1h.jpg

I'll miss it. Somewhat out of the way.

Our next activity was a tour of the galley which we did before the Tutti Salad lunch, offered in the MDR on sea days. Our group was taken to the level where cakes and bread are baked, which revved us up for lunch.

Sea5_zpsidpgjqvy.jpg

Sea6_zpsdm5rxxdo.jpg

The Executive Chef led our group.

Sea7_zpstdg3rmgx.jpg

Sea8_zps3gihr0w1.jpg

I've always felt that the Centrums on the Radiance Class ships are extremely impressive as they stretch from Deck 4 all the way up to 12 and 13.

Sea%2013_zps8pppjuh1.jpg

Sea14_zpsauc1p4gk.jpg

Sea15_zps551abk9e.jpg

Sea16_zpsqpegwl8v.jpg

I couldn't get a good shot on the top level where the critters hang out. Too many support beams block the angles.

Edited by The Big Booper

We then headed up to Deck 6, aft, to check out the area. Each of the 4 Radiance ships have a bit of customization.

I say hello to the Guardian at the entrance

Sea17_zpsviifdcol.jpg

The Inner Guards

Sea18_zpss8d7hn7i.jpg

We had seen a group of people getting on in Vancouver all carrying musical instrument cases. The were a bunch of amateur and semi pro musicians who were giving a concert in the Safari lounge so we hung around for that.

Sea19_zpsg6crbrgu.jpg

Sea20_zps6r7qjrvk.jpg

That night we hit the Centrum in the middle of what looked like Battle of the Sexes led by a very unusual well endowed "female"

Sea25_zpshmcgfxys.jpg

Sea26_zpssk1qmoyl.jpg

Sea27_zps8olgc0al.jpg

After this unusual hug we made our way up to our cabin where we found we had a visitor.

Sea28_zpsyizxgagj.jpg

Eventually we turned in ready for our first visit to San Francisco.