Oceania Flights

deus

Does anyone know what typically the length of flights from Vancouver, B.C. to London, England that Oceania books its passengers on? Also returning from Rome to Vancouver. I did look at United, British Air etc. - going could be 9 1/2 to 12 hours but leaving from Rome to Vancouver could be 21 hours. I know this is not cruise specific but with so many well travelled cruisers I thought I would ask. This will be our first time travelling with Oceania and I just don't want to fly home in 16 to 21 hours.

Any input will be very much appreciated.

Lauren

I can't answer your question specifically since I live in NYC but would suggest that while you consider using Oceania's flights, you check out what it would cost you to do it on your own. Also consider a deviation so that you can make sure that you get there before the ship leaves port! And add in the credit you would get for NOT using O's "free" flights.

Checking on flights you prefer can also be helpful if you don't like the flights Oceania offers you. It might cost you more to get better connections, but then again it could be worth it.

I know we have Canadians on this board who fly from or near Vancouver who should be more helpful in terms of your original question.

Mura

I have been very fortunate when asking O through my TA to book specific flights I researched. Sometimes there was an additional surcharge above the flight deviation fer, but still a lower fare than booking independently.

Harry

advice

pay the deviation fee & pick the flights you want

I use this site to see what flights go on the dates I need

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

I would think you will have a connection someplace.... the layover time adds to the timing

maybe pick a flight where you have a long layover

with a deviation you can fly in early (recommended) & stay longer in the city

Edited by LHT28

Thank you Mura, harryw, buggins10402 and LHT28 for your help. I will try that website and see if I can get better return flights from Rome.

Thanks again!

Lauren

Be aware that if you seek to change from offered flights and take a deviation for $175pp and want a non stop or direct flights expect to pay thousands more not just afew hundred..... from experience most of the non stops to the west coast only come from FRA or LHR

from Rome your going to have to connect for customs a 1.5 hour min connection is needed

Airlines are now pricing flights according to the total time.... and it is very steep.... If you want that you can expect to pay almost as much as your cruise.... AND this is in coach not Business which I assume you want I priced a deviation for a better class business than was offered in coach

Using the cruise credit, adding the$175 pp fee I was going to have pay and additional $2780.00 pp for business...

deus

Air Canada has a direct 9 hour and 10 minute flight Vancouver to Heathrow and a return from Rome to Vancouver via Frankfurt; 13 hours and 10 minutes. The fare in June 2016 would be $1624 CDN p/p.

Ask your T/A to propose this to Oceania as a deviation to see if there would be any additional charge above the deviation fee.

Cheers,

Don

Edited by neepawa

Thanks neepawa and Hawaiidan for taking the time to look that up for me and explaining how Oceania could possibly charge us extra. We were looking into the cost of taking a charter (Transat) to London - our departure is in Rome (Civitechia). We would have to take a flight back to London and then leave the next day. We just were trying to avoid long flights - 9 1/2 hours is long enough. And I think on the charter you can fly in "club class" a little cheaper than other airlines - I think.

Again thank you! I am off to look more thoroughly at flights. A lot of work these vacations take - he he.:)

Lauren

The flights that you can pick from through Oceania will be regular scheduled airlines..... that will not include a charter airline. Seriously I would personally not take a charter as your options are very limited... like none if there is a problem.

Plus I seriously doubt they have an interline baggage agreement meaning you have to go pickup your bags and go to check in with any connecting flight... not to mention they wont or cant forward them is any problem

I thought charters for the general public went out in the 60's

Thanks Hawaiidan for the thoughtful observation about charters ie if there is a problem. I never thought about that. Will remember that for future flights. Transat is the charter that we have used a few times, one trip to Paris 8 days plus our first cruise and then to Mexico nonstop quite a few times.

We will probably fly British Air in premium economy - by husband is 6'5 and needs the extra leg room. They have flights leaving Vancouver in the pm (not the greatest time) but you can't get everything you want. Most important we can leave Rome around 1pm fly to London sit there for 2 hours and then a 9 1/2 hour nonstop flight home to Vancouver. The charter plus connecting flight from Rome to London was more expensive than British Air.

Everyone thank you for your help!

Lauren