NCL have changed my booking from US DOllars to Euros so it costs me more!!!

pipcarobethdan

Is the price in euros the same as the price was in dollars? The reason I ask is we book on both the UK and US site and when logged in to latitude it sometimes shows a UK booking in dollars . I thought result as $1500 is better than £1500! It went though fine in dollars, but when the credit card bill came they debited £1500. So could just be a display issue.

After doing a search I have found posts going back to 2007 indicating that ncl has at times required us addresses to book directly on us web site to get us fares. If you did not use a us address would not be surprised if software switched you to the applicable fare and currency based upon home address.

If this is an issue for NCL, it can be solved easily. All they have to do is put in some parameters on their booking program that if someone does not have an address for the correct website, it just tells them they can't book on that site and sends them to the correct site.

Nope, nope and nope. Where one lives has nothing to do with it, but the companies are required to offer those "certain guarantees" in some countries if they do business there. The regulations in UK and in EU overall do not apply to a company doing business in US even if the customers lives somewhere else. And the pricing is not always better in US, we book there because the T&C are better for us (free cancellations etc) even if we got better price from our "home office".

Yes and no. It depends upon where the cruise lines are considered to have a legal presence. In some case cruise lines that have legal presence in the uk require ...

Exactly as I said in the post you quoted, I highlighted the appropriate parts in it.

Also the companies selling cruises are not the same companies that are actually delivering the product, so just having a legal presence in one country does not mean that a separate company in another country couldn't do business with the foreign customer.

Edited by Demonyte

After doing a search I have found posts going back to 2007 indicating that ncl has at times required us addresses to book directly on us web site to get us fares. If you did not use a us address would not be surprised if software switched you to the applicable fare and currency based upon home address.

Unfortunately this was not the case. Due to the large difference between the US price and the UK or EU prices, I ensured that the entire booking was made on the US site. This is how I have a copy of NCLs confirmation showing everything in US Dollars. If I had been redirected through to the UK or EU site, the confirmation (and deposit) would show in GBP or Euros.

whenever I try to book on ncl.com I always get re-routed to the EU site at some point, might this have happened?? the only way I see round it is to book through a US TA. .

Yes, you get rerouted to ncl.eu if you try ncl.com.

No, you don't have to use a us ta.

It is so easy to undo that rubbish.

It's free, and the answer is that a BEAR in a TUNNEL is your best friend for ever.

That way you can chooise if you want to use ncl.uk, ncl.com, ncl.eu/no or whatever you want.

I always use my bear for ncl.com and other us-sites for travelling.....

Unfortunately this was not the case. Due to the large difference between the US price and the UK or EU prices, I ensured that the entire booking was made on the US site. This is how I have a copy of NCLs confirmation showing everything in US Dollars. If I had been redirected through to the UK or EU site, the confirmation (and deposit) would show in GBP or Euros.

Have you been doing any changes in your booking???

Any changes in your booking may get you in trouble and ending in new booking, and that one will be in eu/uk.

We tried to book a cruise through a well known US website and were notified that several cruise lines would not allow a UK resident to book through them even though they have an 0800 freephone for UK enquirers. Strangely enough, NCL did allow it. This was a few years ago.

I've booked in the UK, US & EU website over the years. Which ever one gives me the best deal in regards to perks and price. I book direct with NCL in US or EU but through a well known TA in the UK. so far the only trouble I've had is finding my booking as l have to go through the website I made the booking in, in US Dollars I have to go through the .com website but if in UK £ then the .co.uk site.

Have you tried logging in to your latitudes account on the .com site?

Good luck with getting this sorted.

I should mentioned that I also booked in the US via telephone, the PC certainly knew I was in the Eu, that time she asked me did I want to pay in $ or €. She certainly didn't say I couldn't book as I was not a US resident.

The point is while you booked on a us site did you provide a us address, contact info, passport info or did the info you provided indicate residence in another country? If so then even though the system may have allowed you to book, it may have been caught later on and changed by the system. If the booking was in violation of their terms and conditions. You can always cancel and try and book through a us TA and see if that works.

Just to add - the Terms and Conditions contract for booking is very different between the US version and the UK version.

Should not cause a problem unless there is a problem - then you might find it a PITA to sue in Miami under US law as opposed to suing in UK under UK law. Just saying...

Edited by SteveH2508

The point is while you booked on a us site did you provide a us address, contact info, passport info or did the info you provided indicate residence in another country? If so then even though the system may have allowed you to book, it may have been caught later on and changed by the system. If the booking was in violation of their terms and conditions.
But where in the terms and conditions does it say that only US residents can book on NCL.com?

I have never had a problem booking on NCL.com and giving a French address. And if they ever decided it was a problem (again, as many people here can confirm, it currently is not a problem), I would expect them to cancel the booking and refund my deposit, not transfer it to the EU office and transform it into a booking with a different price and different booking conditions than what I agreed to. And above all, I would expect for them to notify me and be able to explain to me what was happening, not do it behind my back and then act like I'm the crazy one when I call to ask about it!

Have you been doing any changes in your booking???

Any changes in your booking may get you in trouble and ending in new booking, and that one will be in eu/uk.

No. I havent changed a thing on the booking. The only difference is NCL accusing me of making the booking on the EU site when I didnt.

The point is while you booked on a us site did you provide a us address, contact info, passport info or did the info you provided indicate residence in another country? If so then even though the system may have allowed you to book, it may have been caught later on and changed by the system. If the booking was in violation of their terms and conditions. You can always cancel and try and book through a us TA and see if that works.

There is nothing to say a UK resident can not book a cruise on the US website. Looking at many websites, thousands of people have done this with no problem. Of course, I supplied my real UK address and real UK passport number (it would be a bit stupid not to) The T&C has nothing stating I can not make this booking.

Yes, you get rerouted to ncl.eu if you try ncl.com.

No, you don't have to use a us ta.

It is so easy to undo that rubbish.

It's free, and the answer is that a BEAR in a TUNNEL is your best friend for ever.

That way you can chooise if you want to use ncl.uk, ncl.com, ncl.eu/no or whatever you want.

I always use my bear for ncl.com and other us-sites for travelling.....

I assume you are talking about VPNs to make it look like your PC is in the US so your browser doesnt redirect you to the UK or EU site???

No. I havent changed a thing on the booking. The only difference is NCL accusing me of making the booking on the EU site when I didnt.

Do you have time before the cruise to go "old school" on them and send documentation via post? That may be more effective in this case. I would also check with any consumer advocacy agencies that might be able to help you.

I also keep copies of all online bookings until the charges, as agreed, show up on my credit card. I do the same with credit card receipts. So my humble advice is ignore the people who say you were expecting a problem and somehow brought this upon yourself. This is just one example of why anyone who is prudent would do just as you did.

Wonder why the cruise is more expensive in the UK, then here in the states? Are most cruises also more expensive in the UK or does it vary by itinerary? Just wondering.

Doesn"t their price also include gratuities. I know it includes more consumer protection than US dies.

Doesn"t their price also include gratuities. I know it includes more consumer protection than US dies.

The cruise price does not include gratuities - just the drinks packages etc. The UK deposit is also non-refundable, and we cannot get a price reduction, even if the cruise fare drops before final payment - so we'd have to cancel and rebook, losing out on the deposit, to get a cheaper fare.

There are also extra protections compared to the US if the company goes out of business or whatever, but to be honest, most people the UK will have free travel insurance through their bank or credit card which, while not sufficient for actually travelling, would cover a company liquidation, so all in all, there's not a great reason I can see why the UK prices tend to be higher.

We booked our cruise on the US site for US$5300, the Australian dollar is dropping like a lead baloon and our price was just climbing rapidly. It was going to be over A$7500.

We rang NCL and asked if we could cancell and rebook our cabin in Australian dollars and they were happy to help us, we now have the same cabin and the cost of the cruise is A$5700.

Big thanks NCL.

I hope everything works out for you.

Its not always more expensive, my 10 day epic in a spa balcony only cost me £600 for the whole stateroom before adding on service charges, so it does depend. But yes we have protection if ncl goes bust.

Interesting comment.

If NCL have changed the booking from US to UK, it can't be cancelled without loosing the deposit!

What a pain. Who have you been taking to - NCL reps in Europe or in USA? I can get into the USA pages and get prices for some reason without using a VPN. I regularly use this to compare prices; sometimes the deals are better in the USA and sometimes in the UK. When I booked my Jade cruise I rang NCL Europe for a price which was higher than booking via USA, which I flagged to them and they said absolutely no problem with booking via the USA site or a TA over there. In the end I booked with a TA which I'd do again based on your experience.

Did you pay by credit card? If so, I think you should consider raising a dispute.

Hope you get it sorted!

Interesting comment.

If NCL have changed the booking from US to UK, it can't be cancelled without loosing the deposit!

As a UK based cruiser I sympathise. It also seems unfair that we cannot cancel and rebook to take advantage of promos etc.

However, cancelling the cruise or taking it to the credit card dispute length seems too far for me. Yes it's frustrating, but I'd pay the £300 if all communication with NCL fails to get a resolution. It is a £4000+ holiday which I'm sure everyone is looking forward to.

This doesn't make sense, if NCL were to do tie it to your credit card I am sure they'd do it to the UK site as it sounds like you are in the UK by quoting USD prices and then using the £ sign.

I've booked on US, EU and UK site recently and had no issues with any - even though my cards are registered to both UK and NL locations.

I'd keep going, you'll get the result in the end.