Afraid of 4th floor Forward rooms...please advise

truc131

Looks like all that is left of C2 on the Regatta are a few 4000-4007 rooms. I selected 4007 and now have second thoughts on sea motion as well as noise from lounge above it.

Anyone with experience on any R ship rooms like this one...we are novices to cruising and appreciate any wise advice.

I haven't been down on Deck 4 on any of the "R" ships but will say this:

Firstly, I myself am prone to seasickness so I certainly understand your concern. But we were in 8006 on Nautica when it was brand new (with Renaissance) and motion was of no bother on that cruise (Athens-Istanbul for what it is worth). The classic rule is midships and lower down, to avoid the problem. You may be forward (although I'm not sure just how far forward that is) but you fill the bill with the "lower" deck.

Another question to be answered is: what is your itinerary? I'd be more concerned about location if I were in the North Sea than if I were in the Med. (This is not to say that difficult seas cannot be encountered in the Med, they are just less likely. We had an extremely rough cruise one time going into Aruba, so it can happen.)

Mura

all part of great urban legends... being on DECK 4 means very stable...better than on deck8.....( there are no floors on ship) The lounge is very quiet and they don't regularly do slam-dances with heavy metal AC/DC

Its a very nice part of the ship In the Navy its the choice of Sr Chief Petty officers and right above the is the officers country/ ward room...

Remember I lot of these best cabins get started by people on these monster ships for 6000, from first time cruisers from... who imagine more than they really experience... R ships are just great.. unless you psyche yourself up and out...

Keep in mind that over 50%of those who get motion sick have convinced themselves or been convinced by others, that they will get it.... it really is mind over matter... seriously The majority of "victims" start getting sick before they even leave home.... Placebo effect is well known to medicine.

When we cruised on Renaissance, we had one of these far-forward cabins on deck 4. We didn't like it for two reasons: not only was there more motion than amidships, but when we came back to the cabin after a seven-hour shore excursion (and looking for a quick nap), we heard the band above our heads rehearsing for the evening show. Nothing quite like the sound of a horn and drums when you just want quiet.

If you can, change cabins. I think you'll be happier.

Well, sadly these is all that are available in the C2 cat. and all C1 rooms are gone but the one [ 4055 ] next to the noisy reception area.

Gotta decide tomorrow or move on to another cruise, the TA wants his money

Well, sadly these is all that are available in the C2 cat. and all C1 rooms are gone but the one [ 4055 ] next to the noisy reception area.

I could be wrong -- frequently am -- but from my limited experience on Regatta and Insignia, I can honestly state that I have never witnessed any situation around or in front of the reception area that would be considered "noisy." At least, at those times when the 'neighborhood' ought to be a quiet one. If, for instance, Deck 4 is being used as the disembarkation deck for the day, well, then, yes, 'twill be "noisy."

I'd go for Stateroom 4055. Wherever you are aboard Regatta, you will be very happy, and have a wonderful cruise, I'm sure. You'll be in very good hands.

Edited by Hunding

I admit when I answered I'd forgotten about the location of the theater... and I thought about checking the deck plans but did not.

I wouldn't want that rehearsal noise any more than I would want performance noise ...

So maybe more midships, even if higher up, sounds better.

Mura

I was in 4053 on the same wonderful June 25th Alaska cruise this year and I never heard any noise or motion except the night the ship decided to poke its nose into a storm and quickly change its mind.:D

I believe I saw some comments here where people suggested the original cabin inquired about was too far forward, hence the recommendation for the one closer to reception.

As least that is how *I* read it.

Mura

How did 4000-4007 get to 4051 et al?

Cruiser has legitimate concerns which I can't answer, but why not let someone who can give an opinion?

OP in post 8 says 4055 is free but is worried about the noise. We are simply telling of our experience with nearby cabins.

I want to thank all that replied.

I took the advice and changed my booking to Stateroom #4055. It is almost mid-ship so motion should be minimal. It is next to the reception area but at that should be quiet in the evenings [ I hope ]. During the day, I do not care about

a little conversation noise.

How did 4000-4007 get to 4051 et al?

Cruiser has legitimate concerns which I can't answer, but why not let someone who can give an opinion?

If you read the post just before your post, you can see I quoted the OP about saying that the only C1 available was 4055 and that he was concerned the Reception area would be noisy.

I took the advice and changed my booking to Stateroom #4055. It is almost mid-ship so motion should be minimal. It is next to the reception area but at that should be quiet in the evenings [ I hope ]. During the day, I do not care about

Good choice. If (when) the seas get rough, you'll be in the ideal spot to handle the motion. And now you'll hear the band only during the show.;)

Have a great time.

The only time I have seen real crowds in Reception are precisely when people are trying to leave the ship for a tour (whether ship's or independent). And even then they aren't really loud! Mostly we are waiting, not celebrating.

At other times, it seems to be pretty empty.

TGG, good point about not hearing rehearsals or performances from the new location!!

Mura

4055: One of our favorite cabins. We were in it on an 18 day cruise from Buenos Aires to Barcelona. Sometimes we select a balcony cabin, but (obviously) not always. Deck 4, right by Reception, is very convenient. You aren't far from the aft elevators. You are close to Reception if you need something. You can sit in the Lounge area late in the afternoon, read and listen to the music being played near the top of the Grand Staircase.

We NEVER heard a bit of noise while in this cabin or others in this area. Also, I can remember listening to people talk at breakfast about how much motion they had experienced the night before. We never felt a thing.

Marilyn

I was in 4053 on the same wonderful June 25th Alaska cruise this year and I never heard any noise or motion except the night the ship decided to poke its nose into a storm and quickly change its mind.:D

A memorable night! We were in a VS on that terrific 6/25 cruise, and it seemed like we were flying…in about twelve different directions at once! We lost quite a bit that night -- broken vases, flowers, an unopened bottle of wine -- and my laptop collected a few scratches and a wee dent. But it all added up to a couple of good 'war' stories. And Tetyana and Jay were their miraculous selves in cleaning up what we could not. I thought more than once that night about the virtues of an inside cabin on Deck 4.

ROFL. I just realized I was in 4055 for this cruise, too, and I have no recollection of the above mentioned noise and motion.

Truc131: Glad you grabbed this cabin. One comment - and this is personal choice - The cabin is a little small. There is a round glass table that sits in front of the couch. The first time we were in a deck 4 cabin, we found we kept bumping into it and since we never order room service so don't need a table, we asked our room steward to remove it. It's a small thing, but in a small space everything is important.