Common to feel seasick several days after cruise?

bahama_mama2015

I got off the inspiriation on Friday. I had no problems on the ship with a a sickness. I did take Dramamine everyday.

For the last two days I have been lightheaded, dizzy and nauseous.

Is this common?

I don't know about common, I get on the boat & no matter how much we are moving I am good. But get me back on dry land & I am landsick for at least 2 or 3 days. I but a patch on the day before disembark the ship.

I did not have a problem after my first cruise, but after we got off of our last cruise, I did. It started a few hours after we disembarked, and it lasted for THREE MONTHS. Nothing at all would help. OTC and Rx meds did nothing...the only time I felt relief was in the car (which is funny, because normally, I get car sick). It was an AWFUL three months. My next cruise is in less than three weeks, and I have another booked for next year. I sure hope this isn't a trend. Good luck! I don't wish it upon anyone.

After my 1st cruise, I had land sickness for 3 weeks. After my 2nd, for 3 months. Both of those cruises my stateroom was forward on the ship. For my 3rd cruise, I booked mid ship and only had it last a few days.

I wasn't convinced that just a mid ship room was enough and I was bound and determined to keep cruising, so I researched. Found out that most who suffer with land sickness also fly to and from their cruises. The absolute worst thing one can do is fly immediately after a cruise. But most of us don't have the luxury to take additional vacation days and thus fly the same day. I kept researching.

The key to land sickness is indeed the inner ear equilibrium. The motion of the sea messes this up and then flying often creates the inner ear to get further messed up. The key to keep the flying part at bay is to take a non-drowsy nasal decongestant 1/2 hour prior to flying (take doses both there and back) and then repeat doses for a couple of days after flying home. The key to keep the ocean motion at bay is to start taking meclizine 2 days (at bedtime) before getting off the ship and also continue for a couple more nights after the cruise ends.

For my 4th cruise, I booked a mid-ship state room, followed the above meds and can happily say I did not have even 1 minute of land sickness. I have used this for all my other cruises since and again, not a single moment of land sickness.

Worth a shot and hope it works for you too.

edit to add: this is to prevent, don't think it will work once the symptoms have already appeared.

Edited by ferfoodle

Wow! Thanks! I did so much research and didn't read anything about this!

I thought it was my body telling me I needed another cruise ASAP!!!

Do I need to go to the doctor to get meclizine?

No....Get BONINE. It's meclizine, over the counter.

It's very common. I get sea sick. Sea Band wrist bands work really well for me (I don't care if they are a placebo. If I'm not sick, I'm happy.) while on the ship. When I'm off of the ship and everything still feels like it's rocking, the Sea Bands don't do a thing and I reach for the meclizine (non-drowsy Dramamine or it's generic). It's never lasted more than a few days, and the first day off of the ship is the worst.

I have never flown the same day I disembark. I add a day before and after the cruise into my vacation schedule so I don't have to stress so much about getting to the airport on time. It doesn't make a difference for me. The week after I disembark, I feel like the world is moving the way it does when on the ship.