Common to feel seasick several days after cruise?

bahama_mama2015

I got off the inspiriation on Friday. I had no problems on the ship with a a sickness. I did take Dramamine everyday.

For the last two days I have been lightheaded, dizzy and nauseous.

Is this common?

I get this too, I've suffered with Vertigo in the past so just did my vertigo excersises for a few days.nthe worst is when you lay down to sleep you would bet your life you were still on the ship

I got off the inspiriation on Friday. I had no problems on the ship with a a sickness. I did take Dramamine everyday.

For the last two days I have been lightheaded, dizzy and nauseous.

Is this common?

Look at your Dramamine label, it's meclizine.

Yep, I've always heard people refer to it as getting your land legs back...

It takes me a few days after a cruise to feel like myself again, although I have never gotten downright sick from it, I do generally have that feeling like I am still on a ship! It will go away..

Wow! Thanks! I did so much research and didn't read anything about this!

I thought it was my body telling me I needed another cruise ASAP!!!

Do I need to go to the doctor to get meclizine?

The Less-Drowsy Dramamine is meclizine. You'll also see it under the brand name Antivert. I usually just buy the generic. In Ohio, at least, I typically only pay $3 for an 8 pack. Even with a prescription, that's still cheaper than the cash price. I've very prone to motion sickness, and get car-sick on any drive longer than 45 minutes to an hour. I have a prescription for Transderm patches, and I always have to keep those on for a day or two after a cruise. Never noticed it with meclizine, but can see how you'd have a problem.

Sometimes I feel like I am very slightly swaying. It lasts about a week for me. Doesn't happen every time. If the cruise was very smooth with no rocking I don't get the symptoms.

BTW in my opinion it is my body telling me to book another cruise before I forget.

Edited by Boozebabe

Wow! Thanks! I did so much research and didn't read anything about this!

I thought it was my body telling me I needed another cruise ASAP!!!

Do I need to go to the doctor to get meclizine?

No, but you may have to ask The pharmacist for it.

You mentioned lightheadedness, dizziness, and nausea as symptoms. Do you also feel a motion/rocking sensation, as if you're still on a moving ship?

Those symptoms without a movement sensation could be a number of different ailments, most of which would be nothing serious, maybe even a virus, etc. However, if you also have the movement sensation, then I would say mal de debarquement syndrome would be a very good bet.

Interestingly, I've read that this syndrome often affects people who experienced no seasickness while actually on the boat. I've had this syndrome to various degrees after every cruise, sometimes worse and lasting a week or so, sometimes mild and lasting only a couple of days. It's like when I look out the window of my home, it almost seems as if the whole house is moving past whatever is outside the window, trees, other houses, etc. Another place I notice it is while I'm at the bathroom sink/mirror, brushing my teeth, etc. I almost lose my balance. It was unsettling at first until I did my research and found out what it was.

I for one never take seasickness remedies. I've never had seasickness. Whether or not meclizine actually helps this syndrome once you're on dry land or whether it's a placebo effect is up for debate. I personally think the syndrome is self-limited and will go away (usually) on its own after a few days to a week, although there are people who suffer a severe form who have had it much longer.

I too have had this issue, one time for almost a month! Oddly, I have never had an issue while on board a ship.

After our last cruise I took Gravol after about a week, one night before bed and everything was cleared up the next morning. Perhaps a coincidence, but I will try it again this spring. It is an awful feeling for sure.

I did not have a problem after my first cruise, but after we got off of our last cruise, I did. It started a few hours after we disembarked, and it lasted for THREE MONTHS. Nothing at all would help. OTC and Rx meds did nothing...the only time I felt relief was in the car (which is funny, because normally, I get car sick). It was an AWFUL three months. My next cruise is in less than three weeks, and I have another booked for next year. I sure hope this isn't a trend. Good luck! I don't wish it upon anyone.

This happens to me on every cruise I've been on. The rocking and swaying sensation usually lasts for approximately the length of my cruise. So for about a week after my brain still thinks I am on the ship. I have never gotten sick from it but it can get kinda annoying sometimes. Especially in small places like the shower. I almost fell out once while trying to shave my legs. Got one done and said forget it to the other lol. I take meclazine while on the cruise and for about a week after. It seems to lessen the symptoms. I also notice the rocking is less or non-existent when I am driving or riding in the car.

This happened to me on my first cruise and lasted about a month. I was on deck 1 aft and felt a lot of motion on the ship so I'm happy to read that it is more common when you feel motion on the ship itself. I was never ill on the ship and after a day or two the motion didn't bother me. On my next cruise, I will be mid-ship on a balcony so we will see how that goes. These tips were helpful--I think I will plan on taking Dramamine even though I didn't get seasick to see if that helps.