LIVE: 11/2 Nieuw Amsterdam transatlantic - TravelingWithTheJones

travelinjones

Why would the MDR be closed for lunch so often?

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

I think they are following the princess model of closing while in port. Even on sea days it was closed to accommodate Mariners lunches etc. It used to be open when we sailed into sa. Juan as its a late sail in. It wasn't.

When I sign on, I quickly scroll past the stickies to get to the "meat" of the threads, especially when I'm on my phone.On this HAL board and others. So, I almost missed this thread this AM.

Edited by innlady1

When I sign on, I quickly scroll past the stickies to get to the "meat" of the threads, especially when I'm on my phone.On this HAL board and others. So, I almost missed this thread this AM.

Me too, which is why I only just noticed this thread now. I think it would get more attention in the main forum because it is lost in all the stickies now. Oh well.

We are curious to hear from anyone currently on the Nieuw Amsterdam as to what's happening on board. We are going to head back to the port shortly - it is still windy and wet outside.

Just got back home last night -straight from Barcelona via Frankfort, San Francisco and back here in Honolulu.

The last day was in somewhat choppy and windy seas, and eating the prime rib that was prepared for you incoming passengers. It was good too!

Hope HAL prepared somerthing good for you1

Me too, which is why I only just noticed this thread now. I think it would get more attention in the main forum because it is lost in all the stickies now. Oh well.
The problem is that the board is so active that a thread can drift down very quickly and get lost that way. The thread has now been "unstuck." That means if it is inactive for a few hours it will likely move to page 2 or 3.

To be sure you don't miss anything, try subscribing to your favorite threads. That way you'll get an email whenever the thread has a new post.

Edited by Host Walt

The problem is that the board is so active that a thread can drift down very quickly and get lost that way. The thread has now been "unstuck." That means if it is inactive for a few hours it will likely move to page 2 or 3.

To be sure you don't miss anything, try subscribing to your favorite threads. That way you'll get an email whenever the thread has a new post.

I always subscribe to threads I am reading:):):) I thought everyone did it that way:D

We have neglected this LIVE thread as the first couple of days have been really intense due to missing one day, then the changed itinerary which pushed back each of three Spanish ports by 1 day, and eliminating the call in the Azores.

This had two impacts on us and many others:

-- a scramble to change independent plans in each port

-- a realization that with 8 straight days at sea, we should take advantage of each day of these 3 port days to the fullest.

Today we are in Cadiz, and will be heading off the ship soon to make the most of our last port.

But rest assured, with the upcoming long stretch of sea days, we will have plenty of time to post and answer everyone's questions about our experiences on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

Meanwhile, here's a question we'd love for you to weigh in on:

What's the longest number of continuous sea days you have ever sailed on Holland America Line? What ship and what itinerary?

For us, it was 7 days on the Prinsendam transatlantic between Ft. Lauderdale and Funchal, Madeira.

Current Internet Plans on the Nieuw Amsterdam:

• unlimited voyage plan - $249
  • 600 minutes - $199
  • 400 minutes - $159
  • 200 minutes - $99
  • 30 minutes - $19

We did ask if the $249 would be pro-rated since we missed a day. The answer was "No, but $249 is usually the price for 7 days, so you are still getting a deal."

$249 was the price we payed for unlimited internet during our last cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam for 7 days in the Caribbean in March, 2015.

Meanwhile, here's a question we'd love for you to weigh in on: What's the longest number of continuous sea days you have ever sailed on Holland America Line? What ship and what itinerary?

For us, it was 7 days on the Prinsendam transatlantic between Ft. Lauderdale and Funchal, Madeira.

Almost the same ;); 7 days eastbound trans-Atlantic on NODM between Ft. Lauderdale and Ponta Delgada, Azores, Portugal

Enjoy your westbound TA on NADM

We have neglected this LIVE thread as the first couple of days have been really intense due to missing one day, then the changed itinerary which pushed back each of three Spanish ports by 1 day, and eliminating the call in the Azores.

This had two impacts on us and many others:

-- a scramble to change independent plans in each port

-- a realization that with 8 straight days at sea, we should take advantage of each day of these 3 port days to the fullest.

Today we are in Cadiz, and will be heading off the ship soon to make the most of our last port.

But rest assured, with the upcoming long stretch of sea days, we will have plenty of time to post and answer everyone's questions about our experiences on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

Meanwhile, here's a question we'd love for you to weigh in on:

What's the longest number of continuous sea days you have ever sailed on Holland America Line? What ship and what itinerary?

as soon as I saw your schedule change, I literally shuddered and can imagine the tearing around to change things.

Love Cadiz :) and glad you got the unlimited internet.

That means more for us :) I confess I am selfish.

Glad you got your ports straightened out.

Smooth seas across the Atlantic :)

Calm seas?

NO!!!!

The start was fine, 2 days.

Then, for 4 1/2 days, hogging on the starboard bow just below our cabin: the sound was creepy! Force 7 - 8 winds mostly, lots of pitch and a fair amount of roll. The seas were just churning! Last day, Force 11 winds, 25 foot seas.

I, alone, walked the deck (no, not closed off!). Lovely! Had to stop and hang onto the fire extinguisher box or the railing once in while, when the deck went down very fast.

Diverted through Unimak Strait to get away from the storm. Not much fun with the calmer seas, but got to see something new.

Rest of that cruise was fine sailing, except for between Aust and NZ - notorious strait - and I was starting to feel the movement in not a good way for a couple of hours.

The North pacific part was the most fun I ever had with weather and really miss it!

NO!!!!

The start was fine, 2 days.

Then, for 4 1/2 days, hogging on the starboard bow just below our cabin: the sound was creepy! Force 7 - 8 winds mostly, lots of pitch and a fair amount of roll. The seas were just churning! Last day, Force 11 winds, 25 foot seas.

I, alone, walked the deck (no, not closed off!). Lovely! Had to stop and hang onto the fire extinguisher box or the railing once in while, when the deck went down very fast.

Diverted through Unimak Strait to get away from the storm. Not much fun with the calmer seas, but got to see something new.

Rest of that cruise was fine sailing, except for between Aust and NZ - notorious strait - and I was starting to feel the movement in not a good way for a couple of hours.

The North pacific part was the most fun I ever had with weather and really miss it!

Yeah, that northern route is (in)famous for that, depending on the time of the year

Oh no - Tamarind Lunch no more. I wonder if that had anything to do with my trouble booking our specialty restaurant reservations today? I had no trouble booking the PG and Canaletto, but had to call Ship Services to book the Tamarind.

Time to re-visit the itinerary and look at other lunch options.

Thanks for the heads up. How is the NA? Is the ship still in great shape. The NA is our favourite HAL ship and we are so looking forward to our upcoming cruise.

The Tamarind lunch was never available to book online in advance; only on the ship. It seems that it was dropped several months ago - the staff is redeployed to work in the Lido for breakfast and lunch in addition to their evening duties in the Tamarind.

One of the onboard activities for this cruise is the book club. The book chosen for this transatlantic cruise is The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. The book is set in Barcelona, Spain.

If you aren't familar with the book club, here are the details:

You sign up the first day or two of the cruise and are given a copy of the pre-selected book from the library. The number of participants are limited. You get a discussion schedule and meeting times throughout the cruise

The book is generally a New York Times Bestseller related to the destination of the cruise.

There was about 40 participants in the first session today on the first sea day of the cruise.

Lunch in the Master Dining Room

So far on this cruise, the MDR has been open on the first day (Barcelona) and the first sea day (today). It was closed during the 3 port days of Alicante, Malaga and Cadiz.

Will keep you posted as to the schedule the rest of the cruise, but we assume it should be open each day since all remaining days are at sea.