Family of 4 - been 4 times would like something fun but ecnomical

heatheranderson13

We have been 4 times and recently just this past winter where we did Godfry's tour. We have young kids and what I can't stand is the price per person for a taxi, the costs goes way up. I think paying 40$ one way to go to a beach is too much. We are on the gem so is there a beach close by that won't cost very much to get too? or is there something you would do that does not cost a lot. We do not shop or eat in restaurants when we are off the ship. Ideas suggestions????

TIA

We have been 4 times and recently just this past winter where we did Godfry's tour. We have young kids and what I can't stand is the price per person for a taxi, the costs goes way up. I think paying 40$ one way to go to a beach is too much. We are on the gem so is there a beach close by that won't cost very much to get too? or is there something you would do that does not cost a lot. We do not shop or eat in restaurants when we are off the ship. Ideas suggestions????

TIA

Taxi to Emerald Beach/Lindbergh is about $6/per person. You may be able to negotiate a better rate away from the port dispatcher, especially for a round trip. Emerald is a good beach for young ones, with the hotel amenities at the Best Western.

Taxi to Emerald Beach/Lindbergh is about $6/per person. You may be able to negotiate a better rate away from the port dispatcher, especially for a round trip. Emerald is a good beach for young ones, with the hotel amenities at the Best Western.

THankyou...I have looked at this one. Is this the closest beach you would think. Last time we went to the beach by the boat so it was easy...but they say it is not too safe to swim there and the kids are in the water all day

THankyou...I have looked at this one. Is this the closest beach you would think. Last time we went to the beach by the boat so it was easy...but they say it is not too safe to swim there and the kids are in the water all day

Morningstar is closer, but the water tends to be rough.

Here is what vinow dot com says about Lindberg

Lindberg Bay, also known as Emerald Beach, is beautiful. Palm trees and sea grape trees line the shore and provide natural shade. Typically sparsely populated It is a great beach for laying back and relaxing. The water is usually very calm; perfect for swimming, wading or floating along. The shoreline provides for pleasant strolls. The beach is home to Emerald Beach Resort and Island Beachcomber Hotel

It also mentions a small playground.

Get a ziplock bag of dog cookies and go snorkel with the fish hand feeding them the biscuits . We like doing this at Coki beach. We are not a fan of emerald.

Please don't do this. Coral reefs are very fragile environments & you may attract more than you bargain for like 'cudas & sharks. There have been recent studies that show an ingredient in some sunscreens can cause damage. If you want to see fish being fed, go next door to Coral World

The east end & north shore beaches are the best, no doubt, but are expensive to get to as you said. The butterfly house a Havensight is fun for young ones.

Have you considered renting a car? Budget has rentals from $43/day. As a former resident I add just remember to drive on the left. Coki, Sapphire & Lindquist/Smith Bay are pretty easy drives.

Please don't do this. Coral reefs are very fragile environments & you may attract more than you bargain for like 'cudas & sharks. There have been recent studies that show an ingredient in some sunscreens can cause damage. If you want to see fish being fed, go next door to Coral World

I beg to differ as the tourists feeding the tiny fish the dog biscuits have been doing it there for years with never a word about sharks or barracudas. They sell them in the little shops on the beach specifically for this purpose. But you should always be aware when snorkling and scuba diving of all marine life. Worse I have seen personally in the area are the sea urchins.

I beg to differ as the tourists feeding the tiny fish the dog biscuits have been doing it there for years with never a word about sharks or barracudas. They sell them in the little shops on the beach specifically for this purpose. But you should always be aware when snorkling and scuba diving of all marine life. Worse I have seen personally in the area are the sea urchins.

Talk to the people at Coral World about that. They don't like the biscuits. Some of them have dyes, additives & other ingredients that harm some corals.

I agree the sea urchins are the biggest pain, literally, at Coki. There are barracudas as well as morays around the reef & hungry sharks will eat anything they can get to, including nails & surfboards & by feeding the fish, you are serving dinner for them. Don't know if that has ever happened at Coki, but it has at other places. I know people have been selling the biscuits there for decades & when I lived there they tried to stop it. There has been damage to that reef & the one at Sapphire because of walking on, & touching the coral & bleaching disease because of contaminants

Carol: PLEASE don't feed the fish. It upsets the ecosystem, it makes the fish dependent on people, and it *does* bring up the whole food chain. Yes, the vendors at Coki are particularly bad about it, but that doesn't make it right.

And sea urchins are actually one of the signs of a healthy reef system. The long-spined urchin (Diadema) munches damaging algae off the coral. It is always good to think about being a guest in the fishies home...