Within 14 days: Cancel or No show?????

Monorail Driver

Uggh- My traveling companion just decided to tell me she wasn’t too fond of going on the cruise we have scheduled together and doesn’t want to go; we’re within the 14 day window.

I still want to go and am willing to go solo. What should we do? Here’s some background information for everyone to have for their thoughts and opinions.

1. Yes, we both are related, (Husband & Wife) and have the NCL offered insurance

2. She probably could get one of her doctors to say she’s not fit to cruise (Reason for insurance in the 1’st place – we’re both in our 70’s)

3. She’s doesn’t mind losing the whole cruise fare if she doesn’t/can’t use the insurance

4. I still want to go and she’s fine with that and is telling me to still go!

5. Cruise was booked thru NCL not on their website by one of ncl’s phone agents

6. Do I cancel her reservation or just show up and say she’s supposed to meet me here?

7. Everything is paid in full, fare, prepaid gratuities, etc.

8. Will I be responsible for an additional fare even though everything is completely paid

9. Should I call the NCL Cruise agent and explain my situation… if so, how close to our embarkation or just show up at the dock?

Any guidance would be appreciated on how to handle this situation.

Thanks in advance to all.

Edited by Monorail Driver

you will only get port charges back and the gratuities and NCL will give them back without the insurance. Since singles pay 200% of the fare, there really is no refund to be had, you would have paid the exact same price if you booked by yourself in the first place. Now if you both cancel then you should get money back using the insurance

I'm just curious regarding the following scenario. Two friends are going on a cruise together. One doesn't show up (for whatever reason). The person who does show up goes on the cruise, has a fine time. Meanwhile, back at home, the person who didnt' show up files an insurance claim. These can take weeks to process. How does NCL charge the person the 200% fare if:

1. The person on the cruise had no way of knowing an insurance claim was filed.

2. That the other person was going to be a no show?

Uggh- My traveling companion just decided to tell me she wasn’t too fond of going on the cruise we have scheduled together and doesn’t want to go; we’re within the 14 day window.

I still want to go and am willing to go solo. What should we do? Here’s some background information for everyone to have for their thoughts and opinions.

1. Yes, we both are related, (Husband & Wife) and have the NCL offered insurance

2. She probably could get one of her doctors to say she’s not fit to cruise (Reason for insurance in the 1’st place – we’re both in our 70’s)

3. She’s doesn’t mind losing the whole cruise fare if she doesn’t/can’t use the insurance

4. I still want to go and she’s fine with that and is telling me to still go!

5. Cruise was booked thru NCL not on their website by one of ncl’s phone agents

6. Do I cancel her reservation or just show up and say she’s supposed to meet me here?

7. Everything is paid in full, fare, prepaid gratuities, etc.

8. Will I be responsible for an additional fare even though everything is completely paid

9. Should I call the NCL Cruise agent and explain my situation… if so, how close to our embarkation or just show up at the dock?

You could change one passenger in the cabin. Do you have a buddy who might like to cruise with you? You can split the beds. Or some other family member? Seems sad to not share it if you know of someone who could share it with you.

You could change one passenger in the cabin. Do you have a buddy who might like to cruise with you? You can split the beds. Or some other family member? Seems sad to not share it if you know of someone who could share it with you.

can't change the first and second person on a reservation

I'm just curious regarding the following scenario. Two friends are going on a cruise together. One doesn't show up (for whatever reason). The person who does show up goes on the cruise, has a fine time. Meanwhile, back at home, the person who didnt' show up files an insurance claim. These can take weeks to process. How does NCL charge the person the 200% fare if:

1. The person on the cruise had no way of knowing an insurance claim was filed.

2. That the other person was going to be a no show?

So both fares have been paid already at time of sailing, I assume they split the cruise cost, the one who cancelled will not get any money back from the cruise line as they are within penalty..

The cruise line does not care if one or none show up, they keep all the cash.

The person who cancelled will file a claim for half the price, the insurance will verify with the cruise line that he cancelled or did not show and he will be paid back from the insurance.

Did I understand correctly?

Didn't I say you can change one person? Confused by your comment.

can't change either the first or second person, any other person is fine in the cabin but the first and second always have to remain the same. I just went through this myself

Something similar happened to us. Changed person number one on the reservation two weeks before cruise.

Yes, I have always believed that was the case and I have known others who have done this as well. You can't change both, but you can change one. Not sure why pieshops was unable to do this.

Edited by drvalo

Something similar happened to us. Changed person number one on the reservation two weeks before cruise.

You got lucky, below is the info from the NCL Site regarding name changes

Cancellation Fees on Cruise Fares, Air Add-Ons, Land Packages and Other Add-On Charges

No refunds will be given on any cruise for no-shows

Name changes and departure date changes are considered reservation cancellations and are subject to the above cancellation fees.

Name substitutions and departure date changes for cruise, land and other add-ons are considered cancellations and are subject to cancellation fees.

So both fares have been paid already at time of sailing, I assume they split the cruise cost, the one who cancelled will not get any money back from the cruise line as they are within penalty..

The cruise line does not care if one or none show up, they keep all the cash.

The person who cancelled will file a claim for half the price, the insurance will verify with the cruise line that he cancelled or did not show and he will be paid back from the insurance.

Did I understand correctly?

One person must cancel literally and have proof of why it was cancelled to file. If cancelled, passenger still going will be immediately charged as a solo and pay for that cancelled fare. If a person is a no show, both fares remain intact. A no show cannot file a claim in a case like this.

Edited by RuthlessBoss

Insurance will pay for a cancellation provided it's for a covered reason.

You generally can not file a trip insurance claim for a no show.

One person must cancel literally and have proof of why it was cancelled to file. If cancelled, passenger still going will be immediately charged as a solo and pay for that cancelled fare. If a person is a no show, both fares remain intact. A no show cannot file a claim in a case like this.

this makes no sense: so the full fare has been paid by 2 friends, each pay half. One week before one calls and cancels the other, no money will be refunded as they are within the 100% cancellation period, NCL has full payment for the cabin already, how can they then ask the one going to pay another 100% of what they already paid, so in essence, NCL has got money from passenger one and two and now will take more money?

this makes no sense: so the full fare has been paid by 2 friends, each pay half. One week before one calls and cancels the other, no money will be refunded as they are within the 100% cancellation period, NCL has full payment for the cabin already, how can they then ask the one going to pay another 100% of what they already paid, so in essence, NCL has got money from passenger one and two and now will take more money?

That's how it's done. NCL keeps the fare and knows there will be an insurance claim causing essentially a free cruise for the cancelling passenger. If one is now off their roster, there is now a bed unpaid and all fares are based on double occupancy.

That's how it's done. NCL keeps the fare and knows there will be an insurance claim causing essentially a free cruise for the cancelling passenger. If one is now off their roster, there is now a bed unpaid and all fares are based on double occupancy.

interesting, thanks for clarifying, nice revenue stream for them, not sure how often this happens but its free money since the insurance payment in no way affects the money NCL has collected.

Husband and wife...right? So the cost is coming from 1 fund, I would assume...not like you paid separately. I would simply go, and have her a "no show"....the port charges for her will be refunded. No other monies will be due, as you've PAID for double occupancy already....

Unless you got a "cancel for any reason" policy...changing your mind isn't covered, anyway.

interesting, thanks for clarifying, nice revenue stream for them, not sure how often this happens but its free money since the insurance payment in no way affects the money NCL has collected.

Look at it the other way: 2 people book a cruise....each pay their fare...one cancels, gets a refund from insurance if applicable, second person sails at the original fare. Hence avoiding the single supplement (which is 100% not 200%). Don't think for a moment that devious people would not do this all the time. The cruise lines know this....single travellers pay the supplement, always. Unless there is a promo or whatever or solo cabin etc. But you aren't staying in a cabin at a rate that was for 2 and now travelling as only one. Makes perfect sense.

Uggh- She probably could get one of her doctors to say she’s not fit to cruise (Reason for insurance in the 1’st place – we’re both in our 70’s)

Is she fit or not???

If she just doesn't feel like going and files a claim thats insurance fraud

Insurance will pay for a cancellation provided it's for a covered reason.

You generally can not file a trip insurance claim for a no show.

So the person who wants to cancel, waits until 15 minutes before sailing. Their friend is already on board. They call NCL and state "I just got off the plane, and I am horribly sick, and heading to the hospital, I must cancel". They go ahead and file a cancellation claim. It was an unexpected cancellation just minutes before final boarding call.

They are then going to go to the friend on board and say "Sorry, your friend at the airport is sick, and you now need to come up with the full fare or get off"?

Look at it the other way: 2 people book a cruise....each pay their fare...one cancels, gets a refund from insurance if applicable, second person sails at the original fare. Hence avoiding the single supplement (which is 100% not 200%). Don't think for a moment that devious people would not do this all the time. The cruise lines know this....single travellers pay the supplement, always. Unless there is a promo or whatever or solo cabin etc. But you aren't staying in a cabin at a rate that was for 2 and now travelling as only one. Makes perfect sense.

Well... if it's a husband and wife as we are or technically any other two people in the same cabin; the whole cruise fare has been paid! The solo person going isn't getting away with the single supplement as BOTH fares have been paid and are nonrefundable. If each paid 1k, total payment would be 2k. Single rate would be double single rate of 1k so 2k single rate. Total rate has been paid of the 2k. Maybe I'm missing something but seems like NCL has been compensated for the rate regardless if or if not an insurance claim is requested. And NCL insurance is CANCEL FOR ANY REASON. The reason I'd rather not use the insurance "cancel at any reason" is because you only get a % credit for a future NCL cruise and didn't want to take a chance on losing the perks if a rebook was needed.

http://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/booksafe

added info

Is she fit or not???

If she just doesn't feel like going and files a claim thats insurance fraud

Before I started throwing the words of Insurance Fraud around; I'd make sure I knew what I was talking about!!! NCL Insurance is CANCEL FOR ANY REASON!!!

The reason I'd rather not use the insurance "cancel at any reason" is because you only get a % credit for a future NCL cruise and didn't want to take a chance on losing the perks if a rebook was needed.

Before I started throwing the words of Insurance Fraud around; I'd make sure I knew what I was talking about!!! NCL Insurance is CANCEL FOR ANY REASON!!!

Does cancel for any reason include deciding not to go? I looked and the terms seem to still leave out a few things and mentions forwarding a credit to another cruise vs an actual monetary refund if a claim is denied.

thats exactly what i am saying, NCL has the full fare for the cabin based on 2, whether one cancels or not it does not matter they have their money and are not giving it back. If one cancels they will get their port charges back and any other prepaid item like drink plan, tips etc.

I don't see how they can then go after the remaining person for another fare as they are not refunding the canceled one

OP to answer your actual questions

2. She probably could get one of her doctors to say she’s not fit to cruise (Reason for insurance in the 1’st place – we’re both in our 70’s) if using CFAR clause/insurance you don't get back full fare...75% I believe

3. She’s doesn’t mind losing the whole cruise fare if she doesn’t/can’t use the insurance She will lose the base fare if she's a no show..she will get back her port fees etc

4. I still want to go and she’s fine with that and is telling me to still go! Then you should go :) and have a good time!

5. Cruise was booked thru NCL not on their website by one of ncl’s phone agents doesn't matter how you booked it

6. Do I cancel her reservation or just show up and say she’s supposed to meet me here? just show up see posts below regarding what happens if she cancels....you will be paying the single supplement then

7. Everything is paid in full, fare, prepaid gratuities, etc. she will get back her port fees and gratuities

8. Will I be responsible for an additional fare even though everything is completely paid you would be if she cancels in other words...you have paid 2 fares now....assuming you cancel and file an insurance claim, you will get back one fare (partially) but have paid an extra fare for you going alone...for 2 fares minus 1 fare then plus one fare....same difference if you don't file and shes a no show...you still paid 2 fares

9. Should I call the NCL Cruise agent and explain my situation… if so, how close to our embarkation or just show up at the dock? show up at the dock if planning no show. call and cancel now if planning to go that route and be prepared to pay extra fare for yourself now.

Hopefully this helps :)