Don't touch that!

lucigo

I never get sick! And yet......we were on the Splendor 10/17, and the last day I woke up with a scratchy throat. 10 days later I'm finally feeling human again after a hacking cough and sinus issues.

I'm only sharing this to say, be vigilant with hand washing and watch where you put your hands before dinner (staircases), and hold your breath in the elevators (Ok just kidding).

I never get sick! And yet......we were on the Splendor 10/17, and the last day I woke up with a scratchy throat. 10 days later I'm finally feeling human again after a hacking cough and sinus issues.

I'm only sharing this to say, be vigilant with hand washing and watch where you put your hands before dinner (staircases), and hold your breath in the elevators (Ok just kidding).

Oh, boy, this sounds just like the bug going around my school. I got a sore throat, which came out of nowhere. I felt lousy for a week then developed a cough and stuffy nose. Whole thing lasted exactly 10 days. I've spoken with other educators who have had the same thing. This bug appears to be air born.

My husband's workmates have also had their share of this illness.

At least we are now immune to this particular strain. :D

Edited by stargate fan

My wife and I have taken 3 cruises on different cruise lines in 1 1/2 years and got sick on both of them. We also think it is spread by air and when you touch something that is contaminated. The last time we had zicam with us and it helped. We started using it as soon as the symptoms started. the first time we got it we ended up in urgent care when we got back. The doctor told us everyone in the office and their families have had it. All you can do is treat the symptoms. So now when we take a cruise we take zicam with us. We will do 2 cruises in 2016.

Last cruise (Valor out of San Juan for NYE) around the 5th day I started feeling sick. I thought maybe I was just run down. Spent the next two days exhausted. By the time I got to the airport I was so sniffly and sick. Ended up missing 3 days of work with the flu and 102 fever. From now on I'll bring medicine with me to hopefully take and squash any sicknesses the first time I feel them. I will definitely use MORE hand sanitizer next trip!

Last 2 cruises we got sick. I also am very cautious and wash and sanitize alot! I Lysol and Clorox my room and still caught whatever was going around. I checked cc to see if anyone else had it and yup they did too. Hopefully this cruise it won't happen! Fingers crossed.:)

Thought it might be time to resurrect an experience from a few years ago just to extol the benefits of hand washing and using hand sanitizer, which is now located near most eating venues on the ships.

Most of you probably remember the virus that plagued the cruise industry during mid to late 2002. We all watched the news, and saw distressed passengers debarking at various ports, many of them with their faces in bags, groaning in misery. We were booked on the Sensation in the midst of this malady…but that’s okay, because I’m not getting this stuff. I figured these folks were bringing the virus on board with them, and besides, they probably weren’t that sick anyway…after all, the lines were giving free cruises in compensation. Not a bad deal.

Boarding went well, as did the ensuing lunch and evening formal dinner, but something was not quite right the next day. And that night was worse still. I knew the following morning I was in trouble, but I followed the rest of my party into Cozumel anyway, hoping against hope that I could suppress what I now knew was eminent; but it was not to be. Abandoning my family and friends, I hailed a cab in retreat to the ship.

The cab ride is still a blur. The lights dimmed a number of times during the five minute ride back to the pier, and I vaguely remember handing the cab driver a fist full of cash (no clue as to how much) before exiting the Toyota. I knew I had only minutes to make my way to the ship…it was coming fast. And I really didn’t want to expose the other tourists to the likes of what I new was now very near.

Back in the cabin, I reluctantly assumed the position. One I had, until now, been able to avoid for better than two and a half decades. I’ll spare you the details, but for the benefit of those of you who find yourself in the same position:

• The ships toilet is plastic, not porcelain, but it will bruise your forehead just the same.
  • The little hose attaching the shower head to the wall will reach all the way to the far wall (just in case you need to wash anything down)
  • The floor has a drain in the tile (just in case you need to wash anything down)
  • The ships clinic can help (the shot works better than the pill)

Things I learned on that cruise:

• When your wife/spouse says use the hand sanitizer and/or wash frequently – do it!
  • Never make fun of sick people getting off a boat!
  • Did I mention hand washing and sanitizing?
  • You don’t get a free cruise unless two hundred people get sick.
  • The Norovirus can incubate and take you to the mat in 12 hours.

Cruising remains our greatest passion – but now I sanitize, wash, repeat. I know many discount the value of sanitizers, but if there is a chance I can kill ANYTHING to avoid another experience like that, I'm there!

Regards,

Leon

Never a good time to get sick, but at least was the last day of the cruise.

On one cruise I got sick the 1st morning before getting on the ship. There

were a lot of people on that cruise with it. never got the norovirus or been

on a ship where it was a problem.. hopefully it will stay that way

I'm glad I work with kids, I've seemed to built up a fairly good resistance to most illnesses thankfully (I'm knocking on wood, just in case).

I got my flu shot for the first time in years this year because I didn't want to take any chances. If only I could convince my SO to get his...:rolleyes:

Thought it might be time to resurrect an experience from a few years ago just to extol the benefits of hand washing and using hand sanitizer, which is now located near most eating venues on the ships.

Most of you probably remember the virus that plagued the cruise industry during mid to late 2002. We all watched the news, and saw distressed passengers debarking at various ports, many of them with their faces in bags, groaning in misery. We were booked on the Sensation in the midst of this malady…but that’s okay, because I’m not getting this stuff. I figured these folks were bringing the virus on board with them, and besides, they probably weren’t that sick anyway…after all, the lines were giving free cruises in compensation. Not a bad deal.

Boarding went well, as did the ensuing lunch and evening formal dinner, but something was not quite right the next day. And that night was worse still. I knew the following morning I was in trouble, but I followed the rest of my party into Cozumel anyway, hoping against hope that I could suppress what I now knew was eminent; but it was not to be. Abandoning my family and friends, I hailed a cab in retreat to the ship.

The cab ride is still a blur. The lights dimmed a number of times during the five minute ride back to the pier, and I vaguely remember handing the cab driver a fist full of cash (no clue as to how much) before exiting the Toyota. I knew I had only minutes to make my way to the ship…it was coming fast. And I really didn’t want to expose the other tourists to the likes of what I new was now very near.

Back in the cabin, I reluctantly assumed the position. One I had, until now, been able to avoid for better than two and a half decades. I’ll spare you the details, but for the benefit of those of you who find yourself in the same position:

• The ships toilet is plastic, not porcelain, but it will bruise your forehead just the same.
  • The little hose attaching the shower head to the wall will reach all the way to the far wall (just in case you need to wash anything down)
  • The floor has a drain in the tile (just in case you need to wash anything down)
  • The ships clinic can help (the shot works better than the pill)

Things I learned on that cruise:

• When your wife/spouse says use the hand sanitizer and/or wash frequently – do it!
  • Never make fun of sick people getting off a boat!
  • Did I mention hand washing and sanitizing?
  • You don’t get a free cruise unless two hundred people get sick.
  • The Norovirus can incubate and take you to the mat in 12 hours.

Cruising remains our greatest passion – but now I sanitize, wash, repeat. I know many discount the value of sanitizers, but if there is a chance I can kill ANYTHING to avoid another experience like that, I'm there!

Regards,

Leon

:eek::eek::eek: OMG! You poor thing!!! I cannot even IMAGINE!!!

Hope you never have to go through that again......

I have had bad luck about getting a cold either right before or during a good bit of our past cruises. I stocked up on airborne this time, and am already taking it for our Monday departure. :D I will be taking some Clorox wipes, cold meds, tissues and small portable hand sanitizers too. :D better safe than sorry.

The small purse size tissues are awesome to have, because there is no worse feeling than sitting at dinner, feeling your nose start to run, and having nothing. Trying to make a dash up the stairs to the bathroom for some tp before someone notices. Embarrassing. We always do tissues and hand sanitizer now, and usually more than one set.

To be fair, this isn't something unique to cruise ships. You can catch germs anywhere. Especially at this time during the year.

And yet people insist they got it on a cruise and no where else. The best anyone can do is keep their own immunity built up. Remember, if you get a cold, you won't get the "same" one again. People use the word flu or a cold in such a broad term. Even if you get a flu shot, it only protects you from some preselected virus. If the wrong one is in the shot, you might as well avoid getting one because there are so many viruses out there.

Think about exposure we health care providers are exposed to on a daily basis.

I have really been lucky... 27 cruises... never got sick:) But, I am careful where i put my hands,wash them frequently, and yes..use the sanitizer that they now have in place at the buffet lines. For those that say, I don't want to use that... come on people... it's for one week at the most.. it's not going to kill you for one week... and could possibly save yourself and many others, including young kids, from having an awful illness...:rolleyes:

I have really been lucky... 27 cruises... never got sick:) But, I am careful where i put my hands,wash them frequently, and yes..use the sanitizer that they now have in place at the buffet lines. For those that say, I don't want to use that... come on people... it's for one week at the most.. it's not going to kill you for one week... and could possibly save yourself and many others, including young kids, from having an awful illness...:rolleyes:

So, just keep doing what you've been doing as you think it's working.

Oh, boy, this sounds just like the bug going around my school. I got a sore throat, which came out of nowhere. I felt lousy for a week then developed a cough and stuffy nose. Whole thing lasted exactly 10 days. I've spoken with other educators who have had the same thing. This bug appears to be air born.

My husband's workmates have also had their share of this illness.

At least we are now immune to this particular strain. :D

If the illness is airborne, and not as a result of physically touching something, washing your hands won't be much help (although it can't hurt). Does anyone remember a nasty bug dubbed "Legionnaire's Disease"? It was passed through a hotel's air-conditioning system, and lots of people got sick. Maybe, just maybe, the air-conditioner (at work, on the ship, wherever) is the source.