Amber Cove Port Fees High?

ATL_Miami_Cruiser

Has anyone who has sailed to Amber Cove had their port fees reduced on embarkation day (in the form of OBC)?

For two of my bookings I noticed that the port fees are MUCH higher for the Amber Cove itinerary. I compared both cruises, both have 2 persons per cabin. The non-Amber Cove cruise is 7 days and 4 ports while the Amber Cove cruise is 5 days and 2 ports. Amber Cove is $100 more for 2 less ports! I understand it's a new port and Carnival needs to cover their investment costs, but wow that's pricey compared to longer itineraries :eek:

Victory 5 Day to Amber Cove, Grand Turk - 11/23/2015

Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses $164.35 $164.35 Total - $328.70

Valor 7 Day to Cozumel, Belize, Mahogany Bay, Costa Maya - 4/2/2016

Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses $114.47 $114.47 Total - $228.94

Hmmmm, that's weird. We are doing an identical 5 day itinerary and my port taxes are $92pp.

That gives me some hope that the fees will be reduced on Embarkation day to something closer to what you paid. I booked the cruise in February so maybe I'm locked into the higher rate or something. It's definitely strange.

We booked back in April for summer 2016. Since we booked, taxes have decreased $10pp, so I am expecting OBC. It is the same Amber Cove/Grand Turk itinerary that you mentioned but on the Valor.

Has anyone who has sailed to Amber Cove had their port fees reduced on embarkation day (in the form of OBC)?

For two of my bookings I noticed that the port fees are MUCH higher for the Amber Cove itinerary. I compared both cruises, both have 2 persons per cabin. The non-Amber Cove cruise is 7 days and 4 ports while the Amber Cove cruise is 5 days and 2 ports. Amber Cove is $100 more for 2 less ports! I understand it's a new port and Carnival needs to cover their investment costs, but wow that's pricey compared to longer itineraries :eek:

Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses $114.47 $114.47 Total - $228.94

taxes and port charges are usually higher on eastern routes than western, however, that seems to be quite a bit higher:eek:

Amber Cove may prove to be an expensive ripoff. It's located not far from Puerto Plata, a 2 star resort area. Gray Atlantic Ocean, coarse yellow brown sand, and a corralled cookie cutter shopping mall.

I spent a week in Puerto Plata on my very 1st trip to the DR and regretted it; since then, I've gone to LaRomanna, Samanna, Bayihibe, and my favorite Punta Cana. All of these locations are infinitely better than the Puerto Plata area.

Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses $114.47 $114.47 Total - $228.94[/quote

That does seem high. We are doing 8 day Breeze in Feb. 4 ports including Amber Cove. 118.90 each 237.80 Total for 2]

Amber Cove may prove to be an expensive ripoff. It's located not far from Puerto Plata, a 2 star resort area. Gray Atlantic Ocean, coarse yellow brown sand, and a corralled cookie cutter shopping mall.

I spent a week in Puerto Plata on my very 1st trip to the DR and regretted it; since then, I've gone to LaRomanna, Samanna, Bayihibe, and my favorite Punta Cana. All of these locations are infinitely better than the Puerto Plata area.

Other than your posts on various threads, I have yet to read any negative posts here or on Facebook re: Amber Cove

It seems most people are enjoying the new port.

Maybe I have missed the other less than positive reviews.

Just took a look. We are on the Magic sailing 8/6/16. Port Fees and taxes for Amber Cove, St Thomas, San Juan and Grand Turk are $202.04 per person. Same date and itinerary on the Glory except for HMC instead of Amber Cove is $137.22 per person!

A lot of people like Mahogany Bay in Roatan too. I don't. I'm not a shopper and I like to get out in the countryside for local flavor, culture and food. I enjoyed Sosua and Cabarete but Puerto Plata leaves me empty. Cookie cutter shopping malls are not for me

Thx for noticing my posts.

My taxes, fees and port charges for my recent 5 day Victory cruise were 104.35.

Chalk me up as some one who likes Amber Cove, and the small part of Dominican Republic that I did see. I have never been a "cookie cutter" sort of traveller, but as my age and disability grows, it has forced me to remain close to the ship, when I am even lucky enough to get off the pier lol.

I liked Amber Cove, and can only see it getting better. The country side looked lush and scenic, and the couple of small beaches I saw were golden brown sand yes, but the color of sand does not bother me, I like it in all shades.

Edited by SMSACE6

Just a thought. But if you prepay your gratuities and you look at the booking, you'll notice that they include the prepaid gratuities in the taxes, port fees etc. column but don't make any reference to that. If you go to your cruise documents where things are itemized, the prepaid gratuities are separated out as a separate item. Might want to check and see if that's the case in this instance.

Just a thought. But if you prepay your gratuities and you look at the booking, you'll notice that they include the prepaid gratuities in the taxes, port fees etc. column but don't make any reference to that. If you go to your cruise documents where things are itemized, the prepaid gratuities are separated out as a separate item. Might want to check and see if that's the case in this instance.

You are so right! I booked 3 cabins on the Victory Amber Cove cruise and pre-paid the gratuities on one of my cabin's but the other two I didn't. I see on the other 2 cabins the port fees are $104.35pp. Thanks for solving my problem!

It's still a few dollars more than Tapi's port fee's, but it's in the ballpark and considering the Victory holds less passengers then the Valor I would expect it to be a few dollars more.

Edited by ATL_Miami_Cruiser

A lot of people like Mahogany Bay in Roatan too. I don't. I'm not a shopper and I like to get out in the countryside for local flavor, culture and food. I enjoyed Sosua and Cabarete but Puerto Plata leaves me empty. Cookie cutter shopping malls are not for me

Thx for noticing my posts.

I suppose you have your point. I get it. But I've only been to one of these Carnival crafted ports, and I really liked it. That was Grand Turk.

We mixed our day up, which I think is a wise option if you want the best of both worlds. We went beyond the gate on an ATV tour of the island. Granted there wasn't much to see. But we rode and rode for two hours - resting in between at a small shack just off the ocean on a street where we conversed with locals, brought some souvenirs, had some local beer, and tried to rest from the heat. Then we headed back to the port area. Once there we enjoyed the pool and the excitement of Margaritaville. I was able to do some shopping on our way back to the ship, which was a stone's throw away. It was a nice day.

I love the idea of these ports, because you can venture out or stay put depending on what type of agenda you have in mind. Certainly there is more to do than just shopping, but the shops are right there if that's your thing.

I am excited to visit Amber Cove next year! Sorry you find it underwhelming. But that could be the case for any given port. True all of us have liked some more than others. I hated Aruba but haven't gone on a campaign to rail against it every chance I get. Just sayin'. lol

...I see on the other 2 cabins the port fees are $104.35pp. Thanks for solving my problem!

It's still a few dollars more than Tapi's port fees...

When we originally booked the cruise, the port taxes were indeed $104. I've kept checking prices, and even though the fares have been going up, the taxes have dipped to $92. I inquired about it and Carnival said that they won't adjust the port taxes on a booked reservation, but that I can expect to receive OBC once on the ship for whatever the difference is.

Edited by Tapi

That makes much so much more sense. When I just did a mock booking for the same cruise, the port taxes etc were $118.04. The difference between that and my booking is exactly the $84 in prepaid gratuities. I don't think $118.04 is bad at all.

Just took a look. We are on the Magic sailing 8/6/16. Port Fees and taxes for Amber Cove, St Thomas, San Juan and Grand Turk are $202.04 per person. Same date and itinerary on the Glory except for HMC instead of Amber Cove is $137.22 per person!

Half Moon Cay is owned by Holland which is part of the Carnival owned company, therefore,could be why total port charges are lower.

When we originally booked the cruise, the port taxes were indeed $104. I've kept checking prices, and even though the fares have been going up, the taxes have dipped to $92. I inquired about it and Carnival said that they won't adjust the port taxes on a booked reservation, but that I can expect to receive OBC once on the ship for whatever the difference is.
Tapi, do you think that is only because you called and asked? Is their less port fees on a smaller ship? Thanks, Karen

Tapi, do you think that is only because you called and asked? Is their less port fees on a smaller ship? Thanks, Karen

We've received a credit on most of our recent cruises because port fees were lower than what we paid. We did not have to call to receive it. It is just automatically added to your folio.