What if this Diamond Lounge change happened...

You got it. I was Diamond back when we used to get in the Concierge Lounges, when that was the only lounge. In 2009 Diamonds got the boot and after an uproar they ended up getting a Diamond "event" that then turned into the Diamond Lounges. As soon as they announced the Diamond lounges on each ship I figured they would eventually boot the Diamonds out again (I was D+ by then). With the 3 drinks on the seapass and the availability of drink packages the writing is on the wall. D will get the boot again.

They keep holding out the carrot and then pulling the tablecloth out from beneath you every few years while you are enjoying that carrot. Kind of like the stock market really. We just buy the drink packages and enjoy ourselves anywhere on the ship. The top one includes all the specialty coffees as well. Easy fix.

What D's and D+ should be asking for is a drink package discount. Come on Royal Caribbean it's about time for that drink package discount!

You certainly make some valid observations. I remember when the diamond were first invited into the lounge. In those days the concierge did everything, they served the drinks, booked shore excursion and took care of any needs of the suite and diamond guests. Today most ships have a concierge and two or three servers in both the DL and CL. The few drinks served each evening have turned into several hundred.

The diamonds were blindsided when they got the boot back in 2009 and as a result RCCL experienced a much stronger backlash than they anticipated. Hence the diamond event and later the diamond lounges. Now however it seems like most cruisers are anticipating a change that will affect diamond members. The three drinks on the seapass card are probably a preemptive move on RCCL's part to appease the diamond cruisers. Perhaps a discounted drink package could be in the works.

Just a quick question regarding lounge vs. 3 evening cocktails. If there is any change that involves removal of lounge privileges and keeping the three evening drink vouchers, is the issue that three drinks is not enough or the loss of the lounge privledge DURING OTHER HOURS OF THE DAY? I don't understand how "where the drinks are consumed" (in a DL/CL or some other bar) can matter.

Thanks

M

Just a quick question regarding lounge vs. 3 evening cocktails. If there is any change that involves removal of lounge privileges and keeping the three evening drink vouchers, is the issue that three drinks is not enough or the loss of the lounge privledge DURING OTHER HOURS OF THE DAY? I don't understand how "where the drinks are consumed" (in a DL/CL or some other bar) can matter.

Thanks

M

I know everyone focuses on the drinks but I don't think it's just about that. It always amazes me how many folks line up for the nibbles as soon as they are put out. You'd think no one had eaten! And, as has been previously mentioned, many folks very much value the access to the speciality coffee machine. On our recent Explorer cruise, the British lined up constantly for coffee from the machine. All day The 'tea' generation has moved on. For our poor concierge, a constant stress that the machine would break down as it had done more than once. For some, it's a quiet lounge to get away to while the room is made up. For others, it's the access to the concierge to help with guest relations issues or, to do their final check in for the plane trip home. The lounge crowding forces people to meet as they grab any vacant chair. Friendships form with other folks who value cruising and have travelled RCI. And the concierge makes announcements about how things will happen in port or for ship events (the good ones do anyway...). People feel cared for. They will miss that and using a drink coupon in a noisy lounge isn't going to be the same. This is where the marketing and loyalty staff need to think hard about any change. The package of support is what builds the loyalty. Not the liquor.

I know everyone focuses on the drinks but I don't think it's just about that. It always amazes me how many folks line up for the nibbles as soon as they are put out. You'd think no one had eaten! And, as has been previously mentioned, many folks very much value the access to the speciality coffee machine. On our recent Explorer cruise, the British lined up constantly for coffee from the machine. All day The 'tea' generation has moved on. For our poor concierge, a constant stress that the machine would break down as it had done more than once. For some, it's a quiet lounge to get away to while the room is made up. For others, it's the access to the concierge to help with guest relations issues or, to do their final check in for the plane trip home. The lounge crowding forces people to meet as they grab any vacant chair. Friendships form with other folks who value cruising and have travelled RCI. And the concierge makes announcements about how things will happen in port or for ship events (the good ones do anyway...). People feel cared for. They will miss that and using a drink coupon in a noisy lounge isn't going to be the same. This is where the marketing and loyalty staff need to think hard about any change. The package of support is what builds the loyalty. Not the liquor.

If Diamonds become excluded from the lounge before I make it to D+, I will miss it....because in the last few cruises since we became Diamond I have enjoyed the latte machine in the mid morning for a little break on sea days or in the evening after showtime, but before some of the late night activities get started. We are not big liquor drinkers, so whether we have 3 coupons on our card or visit the DL during bar and snack hours will matter less. As you point out, it isn't as if there aren't enough places to eat on board....because we all know that there are.

An entitlement is something someone has earned; hence they are entitled to the benefit. An entitlement is not a handout or a freebie. Currently, as a Diamond Member, access to the Diamond Lounge is an entitlement of mine. The company says I have earned the access, therefore I am entitled to use it. It is not a freebie or handout provided for by a third party. In many ways earned and entitlement are one and the same. Entitlement has just been branded with negative connotations these days.
That's all I can say....:eek:

The CL on the Q class is worth the long walk down the corridor. The view from the aft of the ship is amazing! Definitely take a peek!
Was on the CL on Quantum and will certainly enjoy the CL on Anthem next March. A great space and great service from the crew....K.O.:)

An entitlement is something someone has earned; hence they are entitled to the benefit. An entitlement is not a handout or a freebie. Currently, as a Diamond Member, access to the Diamond Lounge is an entitlement of mine. The company says I have earned the access, therefore I am entitled to use it. It is not a freebie or handout provided for by a third party. In many ways earned and entitlement are one and the same. Entitlement has just been branded with negative connotations these days.

And the 'company' can change what the program is -- at any time. It is their program.

I cruise on Royal because I enjoy the cruises....and the perks that I receive are additional. I enjoyed my first cruise, when I had no perks on board. It is not that I want to return to being treated no different than a first time cruiser aboard Royal, but the reality is -- I have no part in the decision making of what the CAS program will look like in the future...but I surely will enjoy what perks I get.

Very well articulated and my sentiments exactly....K.O.:)

Correct. The lounge offers a place where like minded Diamond and up members meet up and share their common interests and experiences in cruising. In contrast to airport lounges where most of the people rather want to be alone due to the stresses of air travel and not wanting to miss their flight, in cruise ship lounges people tend to strike a conversation, sharing and exchanging tips.

I recall the value of like minded members to meet up was once highlighted in a crown and anchor video presentation by an RCCL executive. So I doubt they will take away the lounge benefit. If not many diamonds will be scattered in various bars in the ship and not anymore in the same room conducive for conversation.

I recalled recently one night when the lounge was full, a person asked me if the chair beside me is empty and if I am willing to share it and I said yes...

Turns out that person is a pinnacle and I learned a lot from him about various cruising destinations during the time of our conversation while seated beside each other.

That enriching experience for Diamonds is what will be lost if the lounge is taken away and merely replaced by drink coupons.

Edited by roquejo

Just as CCotting pointed out. Sometimes its not about the drinks, food, or concierge. It is a nice place with comfortable chairs to relax outside the cabin (with little to no interaction from other passengers or crew).

Maybe it is because we have chosen to stop cruising a lot, or that I have seen so many posts about it recently that I am now at the mindset of, "Yes, it is a nice perk, but if they take it away, they take it away. Can't do anything about it."

Life is too short to worry and complain about the small stuff. Be thankful that you have the ability and means to travel.

Edited by hazeleyez3

Here is an idea! Why don't all of you start a petition to take over the St Tropez deck on the freedom class ships?? You can enjoy the refreshing breeze and wonderful views like no other place on the ship! I'm sure you will enjoy your fellow diamond members company like never before. It may be a bit windy and you might have to wear your sunglasses to keep the shimmering light from your fellow diamond members diamond pin from distorting your vision. If it happens to rain, I'm sure the deck attendant will quickly deploy rain gear to all of you and the deck attendant will also act as your concierge. You can make all of the lovely requests you can think of to the deck attendant... I mean concierge as long as you can speak their native language. Just think! As you have risen to the great heights of the loyalty program you are now heads and shoulders above your fellow cruisers. You invested your money wisely in cruising (cough cough) and deserve to be treated like Royalty while the dividends pour in. LOL. [emoji6]

Edited by CaribSailor

Not bitter at all old chap! As a matter of fact we are diamond + ourselves and have only ever been in the diamond lounge 2 times several cruises ago.. Both times were interesting for sure.. How some people were acting was appalling. Luckily we sail in suites so no need for the diamond + perks. I was simply providing a solution to the impending problem as stated in this entire thread!! Cheers [emoji13] seems you might be a bit bitter yourself around the potential changes[emoji6] why anyone would "invest" in cruising?This might explain why our retirees are having trouble making ends meet these days..guess the snake oil salesman was calling [emoji53]

Don't know anything about any changes, not even remotely bitter, not now and never have been a "chap" old or otherwise and don't recall ever using the word "invest" with regards to cruising. Not a retiree either but thanks for your concern about how I make ends meet. Weird.

Edited by goodml

That's all I can say....:eek:

Well go pick up a dictionary and maybe you can say more such as i am factually and accurately describing the word entitlement correctly. I believe in using words properly.

You're a real strange bird. Did we meet on a cruise and I rubbed you the wrong way? Your obsession with me borders on fanatical and scary. Good grief...

How much do you tip for free drinks in the diamond lounge or free drinks at the bars during happy hour ?

We generally tip $1-2 per alcoholic drink per person regardless if we are in a DL. CL or other bar. We tip as we go.

Enjoy

Edited by cruisegirl1

I guess you're not too busy. LOL

Why dump on certain tier members. Not everyone comes across as whining with regards to their benefits. As a matter of fact , in all of my cruises I haven't met any that advertise or boast of their C&A status.

I hope you're correct. I get the impression that some cruisers have a sense of superiority over others based on the number of points they have.

I don't think I would like to be in the company of people like that....