Carnival cruiser back from Royal Caribbean- my thoughts and comparisons.

gapearl

I was wondering the same thing. I have always seen the windjammer close at 9:30pm or 10pm maybe as you said it was the itenerary??? I would be curious what others say ( I sail almost exclusively caribbean sailings)

I'm a 9 time Carnival cruiser just back from my first RCI Oasis cruise and I agree with gapearl on most things. However, on my cruise the Windjammer closed every night by 10:30PM. The pizza was served at Sorrento's (and it was lousy).

I'm a 9 time Carnival cruiser just back from my first RCI Oasis cruise and I agree with gapearl on most things. However, on my cruise the Windjammer closed every night by 10:30PM. The pizza was served at Sorrento's (and it was lousy).

gapearl didn't go on the Oasis. She sailed from Singapore on Mariner. On a typical Caribbean cruise, windjammer does close at 10:30 or about

Great review and comparisons. We are diamond members on RCCL and have been on 3 Carnival cruises, also been on Princess, HAL, and Celebrity. I totally agree with your overall conclusion that RCCL and Carnival are very similar and the idea on some boards that Carnival is awful is incorrect. I would add that I don't see much difference between any of the mentioned cruise lines.

I have never been on a Carnival ship - so I will get that out of the way first.

But I do have one observation. The people on the Carnival Boards seem to be a lot friendlier.

I shall put my hard hat on now and wait for the sticks and stones that are bound to be thrown my way!

I have to agree with you! I was thinking the same thing as I read a number of these posts, very defensive.

I agree with the OP's observations. Well written and thought out review. Thanks! :D

While I think the OP gave a very fair and balanced review and some here can be pretty defensive, I think you might be exaggerating the friendliness of the Carnival boards...by a long shot. :eek: They should have a flame suit warning as a sticky. :D

Depends on when you go, cabin class, and when you book. You can't compare what it costs now as it's not on sale now.

What royal cruise 10+11 night costs $7000?

Interior cabins on both - late Jan/early Feb Serenade southern Caribbean cruises compared to Jan 23/Feb 2 Carnival Glory... I booked Glory [emoji6]

Interior cabins on both - late Jan/early Feb Serenade southern Caribbean cruises compared to Jan 23/Feb 2 Carnival Glory... I booked Glory [emoji6]

Wow, you're right. Those prices are nasty and haven't budged since May or so.

But for example.

The 11 night on Jan 21st was only $861 between May 1st and May 21st of last year vs $1525 now

The 10 night on Feb 5th was only $674 between May 1st and May 21st of

last year vs $1318 now

Royal rewards early booking

Hey gapearl- I love your insightful comparisons. I am pretty much "loyal to Royal", but recently completed my first Carnival cruise.

I agree with your assessment on the main dining room food. Carnival had great choices each night, and the molten chocolate cake is perhaps the best dessert I've ever had. Royal does a fine job in the MDR, but for great food I go to the Specialty Restaurants.

One area that hasn't been brought up is suite guest amenities. I cruise in Grand Suites, and have to say, my Royal Caribbean Grand Suites have all been head and shoulders above the GS on Carnival Elation. I was also disappointed there were little to no suite perks on Carnival. I guess Royal has figured it out - if you give folks a little bit of treatment, they'll spend 2-3 times more on a cruise :)

Hey gapearl- I love your insightful comparisons. I am pretty much "loyal to Royal", but recently completed my first Carnival cruise.

I agree with your assessment on the main dining room food. Carnival had great choices each night, and the molten chocolate cake is perhaps the best dessert I've ever had. Royal does a fine job in the MDR, but for great food I go to the Specialty Restaurants.

One area that hasn't been brought up is suite guest amenities. I cruise in Grand Suites, and have to say, my Royal Caribbean Grand Suites have all been head and shoulders above the GS on Carnival Elation. I was also disappointed there were little to no suite perks on Carnival. I guess Royal has figured it out - if you give folks a little bit of treatment, they'll spend 2-3 times more on a cruise :)

you won't ever see anyone who is a bigger chocolate fanatic than me, but I never could understand the raves Carnival gets for their warm chocolate cake. I compare it to half cooked brownie mix

you won't ever see anyone who is a bigger chocolate fanatic than me, but I never could understand the raves Carnival gets for their warm chocolate cake. I compare it to half cooked brownie mix

That cake over there is like honey stung chicken over here. The only time I tried the cake was 7 years ago. I didn't like it and never ordered it again.

HSC is what it was. A frozen chicken pattie. It was ok but Certainly not worth all the hype.

Thanks everyone for the (mostly) kind words. LOL I'm glad y'all were able to see that I really did try to be as fair and balanced as possible. One thing that I've seen brought up in the comments a lot is the fact that the Windjammer is typically not open late at night. I appreciate you guys bringing that up so that first time cruisers on RC won't expect that on their cruise. I suppose that was something exclusive to this ship or to cruises from Asia. I honestly thought it was fleet wide! LOL So thanks for clarifying that. :)

While I think the OP gave a very fair and balanced review and some here can be pretty defensive, I think you might be exaggerating the friendliness of the Carnival boards...by a long shot. :eek: They should have a flame suit warning as a sticky. :D

It can definitely get just as interesting over there sometimes too. :D

Thank you for posting the great review( gapearl)! I've read a few of your other reviews and you certainly have a gift for posting!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks so much! I hope you enjoy the next one too. I should be started on the picture review at least by Sunday.

That's a good observation. I have never been in a suite and will finally have my first balcony on cruise #16! :eek: From what I understand though, no Carvival doesn't have any suite perks except for priority emberkation. I think I've seen on the NCL boards that some of their suites even have butlers.

You are correct. Let me clarify my statement. I was referring to the comments to this review ONLY. In general, yes, they also have people who are not very nice at times.

Hi, Kim!

Nice to see you over here in my neck of the woods. :) I enjoy reading all of your reviews and look forward to this one. I will say, comparing Royal on an Asian itinerary to your Carnival travels is like apples and oranges. I'd really like to hear what you think of a domestic RCCL cruise.

While Carnival may be similar to RCCL in some ways, for me, personally, the overall vibe of a RCCL cruise is more appealing to me than Carnival. But I'll do the occasional CCL cruise under the right circumstance. But if all things were equal, I'll always choose RCCL.

Looking forward to your review, and cruise fashions!

You are correct. Let me clarify my statement. I was referring to the comments to this review ONLY. In general, yes, they also have people who are not very nice at times.

Fair enough. [emoji6]

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Book early - I have a large oceanview booked last April SOLO rate in Cdn dollars for less than $2000 on the Feb 26 sailing. BOGO half sale .

Kim - I think you presented a fair review of your experience. And I agree with most of your review. I think the lines are more alike than different, and each ship and sailing can also bring a different experience.

To you 'doubters', I can say that I have sailed with the OP in the past (Splendour 2014), and her reviews are typically very detailed and honest.

OP....welcome to "the world of "no" or is it "know" it all's" ...also known as the Royal Caribbean thread.

Thanks for taking the time and effort to post your report.

Ignore the man behind the curtain....

And I thought it was ONLY over on the Carnival forum. Jeez people lighten up. We are all just people chatting about something we all love.....CRUISING.

gapearl- I have always liked your reviews. Insightful and detailed. I look forward to hearing about the experience!

Here's what a lot of people don't understand. There are multiple SUCCESSFUL cruise lines because people prefer different things!

I have always loved Carnival's MDR menu (except for the Glory in 2013. I was onboard for that roll out and I wasn't thrilled). Their MDR has more options in my opinion. Royal's menu change has left me hungry. I actually haven't been to the MDR on my last 3 Royal Caribbean cruises. I've stuck to the Windjammer and I was perfectly content! But with the Loyalty perks and onboard features I do tend to stick with Royal. We loved our Breeze cruise though :)

That cake over there is like honey stung chicken over here. The only time I tried the cake was 7 years ago. I didn't like it and never ordered it again.

HSC is what it was. A frozen chicken pattie. It was ok but Certainly not worth all the hype.

HeHeHe!!! Mine is the Roast Beef sammies from Park Cafe on Oasis Class...just don't understand the hype! That's why there are so many choices!!! :D

OP - I have loved your reviews in the past...keep cruisin' girl!