Global Entry to British citizens

zider

I saw this on another site could be of help to U.K. Citizens

Visitors to the States will be able to join a scheme that will allow them to skip the notoriously long queues at US immigration from December following the expansion of Global Entry to British citizens.

Global Entry, which is already available at 46 US airports and 13 preclearance locations, allows for faster processing of pre-approved, low-risk travellers.

However, travellers have to go through a lengthy application process and spend more than £100 in fees, so the scheme is likely to be most appealing to the 125,000 British citizens who travel to the US at least four times a year.

British citizens will have to register via the Home Office website and pay a £42 fee. If they pass the UK vetting process they will be given an access code to enter when applying for Global Entry through the Global Online Enrolment System.

Once their application is approved, they must have an interview with an officer to assess eligibility. The fee for a five-year membership is $100.

Applications can be made from December 3

For Americans, Global Entry includes the TSA Precheck program which streamlines the security check prior to entering the secure area at US airports. Hopefully the version offered to UK citizens carries that same benefit. Arguably it's of more use to those making a lot of domestic or international flights departing from US locations but every benefit helps justify the expense and hassle of the application.

The cheapest way for Americans to get Global Entry and Precheck is to apply for the Nexus program for frequent travelers between the US and Canada. The cost is only $50 compared to $85 for Precheck or $100 for Global Entry (which as I said includes Precheck). The catch is that the locations for the required interviews are all in cities close to the US-Canadian border.

Edited by Underwatr

For Americans, Global Entry includes the TSA Precheck program which streamlines the security check prior to entering the secure area at US airports. Hopefully the version offered to UK citizens carries that same benefit. Arguably it's of more use to those making a lot of domestic or international flights departing from US locations but every benefit helps justify the expense and hassle of the application.

The cheapest way for Americans to get Global Entry and Precheck is to apply for the Nexus program for frequent travelers between the US and Canada. The cost is only $50 compared to $85 for Precheck or $100 for Global Entry (which as I said includes Precheck). The catch is that the locations for the required interviews are all in cities close to the US-Canadian border.

I thought like you when we acquired our GE. The wonderful TSA at MKE last month rather rudely informed me that Global Entry did NOT automatically include Pre Chek. Made us go through the long line because TSA Pre Check was not printed on our American Airlines issued boarding pass. Showing our GE cards meant nothing to them. Fortunately at MKE that is not too long. On the websites, you can find it both ways but if you are getting Global Entry to also get TSA Pre Check, you might want to ask more questions at your interview.

Edited by Jim Avery

You're supposed to enter your Global Entry ID as the Known Traveler Number (KTN) in your airline reservations. The agent was correct - if your BP doesn't say Precheck your GE card won't change that.

Paying $50/$85/$100 doesn't guarantee Precheck every time you fly. TSA can and will still send you through the long line from time to time. But you will know whether you have Precheck when you check in - which ideally will be online, in advance.

You're supposed to enter your Global Entry ID as the Known Traveler Number (KTN) in your airline reservations. The agent was correct - if your BP doesn't say Precheck your GE card won't change that.

Paying $50/$85/$100 doesn't guarantee Precheck every time you fly. TSA can and will still send you through the long line from time to time. But you will know whether you have Precheck when you check in - which ideally will be online, in advance.

Yes, I have learned that now. It was in my passenger info with the airline, just did not make it to the boarding pass. In other airports, notably PHX, I have just shown the card and received "Royal treatment".:D What you have described is how it is but is not exactly how Global Entry is "sold" to us. Big surprise.:D