Severe allergy - whom do we notify?

Timmys_mom

My DM has a severe allergy to all things fishy (shellfish, fish fish, caviar, ill-tempered sea bass with frigging lasers on their heads).

Is there somewhere to note this so that Carnival is aware? Is it necessary to prewarn, or should I just mention it to the waitstaff at dinner?

Shelly, I too have a friend with an extremely severe reaction to any fish. He cannot sit at a table where lobster or crab is being cracked open because the particulates thrown into the air during the cracking cause a reaction. My advice, from his experiences:

1. Tell your headwaiter upon boarding.

2. Inform your waiter and asst. waiter AND explain the level of severity. My friend attended many banquets, always ordered the chicken, was sometimes served the fish. He would return the fish, and tell the waiter he was highly allergic and to please bring an entire new plate, don't just switch the meat. They did not always do this, but he could tell. He just "smelled" the plate before eating. If it had held fish, he would react immediately. (I think the kitchen staff--who didn't know better--sometimes did this just as a test, boy were they embarrassed when he could tell the difference)

3. Don't let DM eat anything mixed, only clearly identifiable single foods. Dressings and sauces are out. Use oil and vinegar from individual cruets. A lot of secret ingredients in dips and sauces are fish based (anchovies, clam juice especially).

4. Keep two Epi-pens with her at all times, and spares in the fridge in the room. You never know when she might encounter fish on a ship. There are lots of fish dishes and fish-based foods on a cruise ship.

You should call the Special Needs Department. There is a form that they will fax and you have you return. When you get to your cabin there should be a note giving you a time telling you to see the Maitre'D, who will in turn make sure that your wait staff is informed of the allergy.

I have cruised with Carnival 2x with my son (now 6) who has food allergies, they have always been very accomodating. We are cruising again in 5 weeks, I contacted Special Needs about a month ago; the form this year was slightly different, it asked if you would need to use a syringe (Epi-Pen) and gave instructions for proper disposal (at least I don't remember that from prior years).

I agree that you should make sure you have extra Epi-Pens, I've heard stories the some not working properly, so we always carry two and have spares.

Cheryl: Her allergy is not as severe as your friends, but it is life threatening.

Stacie: Thank you so much for the tip to call the Special Needs Department. I will do that now. I, personally, had to bring my mom to the hospital during an allergic reaction and I don't want to see that ever again!

She developed this allergy later in life and she really misses those shrimp dinners (she's the one who taught me to love it!).

As mentioned, you can call ahead with special dietary needs. Make sure that none of what she is served is cooked in fish broth, etc. Sometimes you just never know. One of my friends has this allergy to the extremes, she cannot get in the ocean, cannot be in the same house where shellfish is cooked, etc. When she cruises, she cannot eat in the dining room and sometimes breaks out walking by the buffet. I cannot imagine!!!!! Good luck!!!!!!

The form might help but anyone with food allergies learns quickly to ask before eating the dish. Explain to the waiter that you have an allergy and to confirm with the kitchen whether there are any ** in it.

Shellfish (lobster, shrimp, crawfish) allergies are quite common. Fortunately, it is fairly easy to determine whether the dish has any in it from the description. I didn't realize people could be allergic to regular fish (major bummer). Nuts are much harder to detect and sometimes waiters don't know or give you wrong information.

But, if your DM is that allergic to fish she should get an epi-pen for emergencies. I should carry one around for myself but I'm an idiot and don't want to go to the doctor to get the prescription. So don't do what I do.

A lady who works with me went earlier this year (JUNE) on the Celebration. She has severe life threatening allergies to Latex and is also a nurse. She alerted CCL prior to her cruise. Her food cannot even be handled with gloves because of the latex allergyor any latex containers. Upon embarkment, she was taken immediately to meet with a chef that was assigned totally to her food prep. They went over all of her menu's for the week and only that chef prepaired her meals. It was awsome. CCL really went the extra mile.

Seems to me that when filling out the "My Reservation" on the Carnival website, there was a place to make comment on medical conditions and special diet needs. I would certainly make note there as well as the Special Requirement form. You can't be too safe!

I am so glad I found this thread. A friend I am travelling with is totally allergic to onions. How do you beat that one. Onions seem to be in everything. His throat closes up on him and benydryl (sp) helps but I don't know if they will be able to help with this as so many foods are prepared with onions. I guess I will have them call the special needs people. Thanks for all the great information.

Candi

Archived