Everything...JADE! (Coming home to Houston 11/14/15)

anonmom

I was on the Jan 9th sailing - first sailing with the "a la carte" menus in the specialty restaurants.

The main dining room menu had a small selection of items with an extra charge. I know there were at least two, maybe four? One of the items was "surf & turf" lobster tail & steak. It was maybe around $25. It really irritated me because I had the SDP, but surf & turf wasn't on Cagney's menu so I couldn't get it - and I wasn't about to pay more for it.

Does any one know if we get a massage one day do we get use of the thermal spa after? I looked on Norwegian site but did not find the answer.

Also, I did not find any prices does any one have a price sheet from spa? Thanks!

My wife and I are going on the 30th and I'm trying to get tips before going. This is my first cruise so I had a question about water that I kept seeing: should we bring water on board? Don't they have water already on board? Thanks

Ship water is fine to drink. We bring a couple bottles to refill aboard. That is fine for us.

Some people will drink only bottled water. Since the bottled water sold aboard ship is very expensive, those people bring a case of water onboard.

Does any one know if we get a massage one day do we get use of the thermal spa after? I looked on Norwegian site but did not find the answer.

Also, I did not find any prices does any one have a price sheet from spa? Thanks!

Great Question, TraciK;

I would like to know more about this myself.

My wife and I are going on the 30th and I'm trying to get tips before going. This is my first cruise so I had a question about water that I kept seeing: should we bring water on board? Don't they have water already on board? Thanks

I bring one bottle for each excursion day so I have a sealed bottle to carry off the ship with me without having to pay more for NCL water.

I also bring two insulated cups so that I can carry ice water (ship's water & ice) around with me while on board. I alternate cups each day, rinsing the used one in hot bathroom sink water and letting it dry completely.

Like previously mentioned, the ship's water is fine.

We carry our own water bottles - not sealed - and use them to carry water off at ports. We've never had a problem doing this. They don't check to see what you are taking off and water is fine anyway.

We use these same water bottles on the ship. One bottle each has always been good for us.

I drink coffee and take an insulated mug to use onboard.

Judy

I usually use my exercise water bottle and carry it with me around the ship. I refill it in the buffet, the fitness center, and also in the Spa since I have purchased the Spa pass (worth every dime as far as I'm concerned). While there I fill my bottle with the water that has the fresh oranges and lemons. Yummy and refreshing!

For those of you recently on the Jade, was there a Ballet Barre in the fitness center? I was on the Star three years ago and there was in the room where classes are held. Is this the same for the Jade or do they have others barres in the open area?

Thank you

I think the reason they do not let you use the thermal spa is because they do not want it crowded. People that pay to use it want it available. Letting others use it would take them above their limit.

This is just a guess, but we've had the pass and they are strict about not letting others use it. They do sell day passes I believe - if they have not sold out of the weekly passes. Check with the Spa Manager once onboard the ship.

Edited by Travel Junkie Judy

The main dining room is open, but they do not advertise it.

They try to send everyone to the Garden Cafe.

*This was true the last time we boarded and wanted to go to MDR, but I can not promise that this is still done.

That was our experience on the Jewel last November. I only knew to try the MDR because of reading this forum. DH and I visited the MDR within thirty minutes of boarding. It was wonderfully quiet and we were seated at a window table. That was probably our favorite dining experience because we were so excited and happy --taking photos of the menu ---and loving the food.

We will try that again on the Jade in eight days. :D

That was our experience on the Jewel last November. I only knew to try the MDR because of reading this forum. DH and I visited the MDR within thirty minutes of boarding. It was wonderfully quiet and we were seated at a window table. That was probably our favorite dining experience because we were so excited and happy --taking photos of the menu ---and loving the food.

We might see you there! But we also like to get lunch in the Garden Cafe or Great Outdoors and eat outside if it's a nice day. Probably grab a drink from the bar out there too.

We might see you there! But we also like to get lunch in the Garden Cafe or Great Outdoors and eat outside if it's a nice day. Probably grab a drink from the bar out there too.

We may do those things after the MDR, haha.

Last November, one morning when we went to the Great Outdoors for breakfast, we were docked in Trujillo. It was one of the most wondrous views of my lifetime.

UDP, here we come. :D

On the last couple of days we ate lunch at Moderno. They serve lunch there at the salad bar on some days (I can't remember specifically when). It's a limited selection -- soups, salad, sandwiches, etc. -- but it's very quiet and peaceful because almost no one knows that it's open for lunch. And it's free! Check the back page of the Freestyle Daily for hours.

We will be on the same cruise with you from AR! My 1st NCL cruise, we normally cruise Carnival so this will be exciting and new for me! See you there, I'll be by the pool everyday...prob with blue lens sunglasses!:D:cool:

We will be on the same cruise with you from AR! My 1st NCL cruise, we normally cruise Carnival so this will be exciting and new for me! See you there, I'll be by the pool everyday...prob with blue lens sunglasses!:D:cool:

Awesome! Have you visited the Jade 1/30 Roll Call on Cruise Critic? You might want to do that. There is a Meet & Greet scheduled for Sunday. Hope you can make it. (I'll be somewhere around the pool each day, as well).

Thermal spa on Jade.....did anyone here have it? If so, do you think it was worth the $129? Seems expensive to me. Would probably only use on the at sea days so 4 days that's $32.25 a person. And probably only around 2 hours each day.

We have been on one cruise 5 years ago. They did not have an option like this. We went the same time of the year (February) and the pool was cold couldn't even sit out by the pool because we were cold. We didn't think to bring jeans or jackets. So, remembering that makes it sound good. LOL

Is there a bar in there? So, you can have a drink while in the hot tub?

No bar, but they have tea and fruit water, but you don't drink it in the hot tub, just on the loungers. Personally, I love the spa, but it's really about what you like to do. Do you like hanging out in a dry sauna or steam room or thalisotherapy pool or on heated tile loungers? If yes, the spa is for you. If no, don't waste your money.

Just off the Jade yesterday. I will be posting a trip report with pictures soon but I have a lot on my plate this week.

The weather was the biggest negative for our cruise. The first night on the ship we encountered rough seas and near gale force winds causing the ship to roll from side to side all night long. Plenty of sea sick bags were available at all the elevators. On our last day at sea we encountered very rough seas (waves to 18 feet) and force 8 gale winds. This caused the ship to have an up and down movement that was more pronounced the closer to the bow you were. Again, plenty of seasick bags were available.

The Jade was beautiful and clean. Her crew was very friendly. Our cabin steward was outstanding.

We were traveling with my sister and her husband again and the four of us thought the food was a step above the food we had on the Star (14 day Panama Canal cruise) and the Dawn (7 day W. Caribbean cruise). The wait staff in the main dining rooms was outstanding. We always walked out of the main dining room impressed. The exception was the Jasmine restaurant where we experienced slow service, an unfriendly staff, and food that wasn’t very good. More on this in my trip report.

We had the unlimited drink package and I think most everyone on the ship had this too. It might be my imagination, but there seemed to be a severe shortage of servers in the lounges. We almost always had to go up to the bar to get a drink. One thing we have encountered on all of our cruises, there is no consistency among bartenders when making cocktails. A Moscow Mule, Bloody Mary, etc., etc., could range from horrible to delicious. Fortunately with the UBP if you didn’t like the way the drink was made you could leave it and get something else. I do have to say, I think one benefit of the UBP is it made for some interesting Karaoke sessions.

Overall it was a great cruise. We tendered in Belize and Roatan. Had the weather cooperated we would have spent more time at the Great Outdoors on deck 12. I loved the Spinnaker Lounge with its great view and it was a great place to be when we docked in Cozumel.