Everything...JADE! (Coming home to Houston 11/14/15)

anonmom

Was it so rough because of the big East coast storm that has moved up the coast?

Or is this more common on Western side? We've always done Eastern.

I honestly don’t know the where or the why of the rough seas. This was our third western Caribbean cruise and we have never experienced anything like this, and our first cruise was during the hurricane season. Last year we cruised a similar itinerary on the Dawn out of New Orleans in early February and we had spectacular weather and smooth sailing. You just can’t depend on Mother Nature.

Just Returned from a Back to Back on the Jade.

Drinks services was fantastic with many people having the drink package.

Lots of places that are great to sit and enjoy a drink or a meal. The topsider bar is among the easiest place to get a drink and enjoy breakfast, lunch and dinner. Go for lunch and make Nacho's...

Oh and PM me for a secret for getting tender tickets!

Any questions ask!

On Friday it was because of the storm....but it was rough a lot of the time because of the time of year.

I was on Jade the week before you and it was a little rough leaving Houston and very windy in Cozumel. Heading back to Houston was fine.

No PM's suck.

Ok here is the tender secret.....they collect the tickets on the 6th floor. Go to the 4th floor and join the line. No tender tickets required at all:D.

I had a room on the 4th floor and during my first week of our back to back cruise we lined up to get tender tickets and went back to our room. When they called our tender number we left our room and no one asked us for our tender tickets as we joined the line on the 4th floor as that is where the tenders leave from. We never lined up afterwards for tender tickets as we simply joined in the line on the 4th floor and got in the tender, both weeks.

Now NCL could change where they take the tender tickets but it is unlikely. Happy Cruising!

Tendering in Roatan a bit messy as announcements were not made in timely manner. Note, though, if you booked a shore ex your tour ticket is also a tender ticket so just head for deck 4 as soon as you notice the tenders are down. We headed out at 7:15 am on a tender and I later heard they did not announce tendering until closer to 8 am.

Also be wary of carrying water bottles into the terminal for embarkation. Mine was not "sealed" and they tried to take it away from me. I made security person empty the water and give it back. I later saw someone else who walked through with no problem. It was a pain as I needed to take medication during long wait to get through check-in and had no water.

I recommend carrying your own luggage on board if you think you can handle it O.K. You will need to be able to lift it onto the security xray machine. I checked mine and then discovered once on board we had a notice saying we may not get them delivered until as late as 8 pm! I finally got mine about 5 pm but only because my wonderful cabin steward went hunting for it.

I also highly recommend using the Easy Walk-off program at disembarkation. You will need to carry your own luggage off but it's just a ramp into the terminal. This starts as soon as ship is cleared (deck 7 aft exit); for us it was about 7:20 am. Once they start calling the colored luggage tags and shore tours (about 8 am), the Easy Walk-off stops. Also be sure to pick up customs forms the night before from the main desk and have it filled out. You can then get through customs/immigration fairly easy. I left just before 8 am and I noticed that none of the checked luggage folks left out the night before had even appeared in the terminal yet--not sure how long those poor folks had to wait.

Once outside there was a long line of Super Shuttles ready to take folks to the airports right away. Pricey at $66 for IAH but I was checked-in at the airport before the NCL transfer bus ($50) ever left the port terminal!

Thanks comcox. How was the $66 priced out? Was there a per passenger charge? We have a flight out of IAH at 1 and there are 4 of us.

Also, why wouldn't they allow filled water bottles out in to the pier? That makes no sense!

Edited by pr0pel

Thanks comcox. How was the $66 priced out? Was there a per passenger charge? We have a flight out of IAH at 1 and there are 4 of us.

Also, why wouldn't they allow filled water bottles out in to the pier? That makes no sense!

Maybe they suspect you're smuggling booze aboard?

Edited by hawk1972

Maybe they suspect you're smuggling booze aboard?

Sorry, I misread the post. I thought comcox was referring to bringing the water in to the Roatan port, not in to the pier during embarkation. Yes, I agree that security might stop you cause people love their vodka in the AM.

Sorry, I misread the post. I thought comcox was referring to bringing the water in to the Roatan port, not in to the pier during embarkation. Yes, I agree that security might stop you cause people love their vodka in the AM.

A sniff of the substance is enough to determine if it is booze or water.

The process for embarkation is a joke....they give you a time to show up but it really is a first come first serve process as you are given a number that determines when you board.

Another tip:

I rented a car from Hertz at IAH and dropped it at League City and they credited my bill $25 in lieu of dropping us off at the port. Call ahead and ask for this. It cost me a total of $14 for the car rental from IAH pick up and drop off at League city and a $35 taxi fare. So under $50 for both my wife and I and we had a car to use for the day. Far cheaper then the NCL or supper shuttle cost for two.

Edited by canadianeh934

I rented a car from Hertz at IAH and dropped it at League City and they credited my bill $25 in lieu of dropping us off at the port. Call ahead and ask for this. It cost me a total of $14 for the car rental from IAH pick up and drop off at League city and a $35 taxi fare. So under $50 for both my wife and I and we had a car to use for the day. Far cheaper then the NCL or supper shuttle cost for two.

Thanks for this. We actually got a rental at IAH and was going to uber it after I dropped it back off at the airport. Did the Hertz at League city call the taxi? How long did it take?

Thanks for this. We actually got a rental at IAH and was going to uber it after I dropped it back off at the airport. Did the Hertz at League city call the taxi? How long did it take?

Yes they called the taxi and it took about 5 minutes. The League City Hertz is open on Saturdays until Noon.

I used Expedia.ca to book the car. This Hertz offers drop off service hence why the $25 off in Lieu of drop off service.

Yes they called the taxi and it took about 5 minutes. The League City Hertz is open on Saturdays until Noon.

I used Expedia.ca to book the car. This Hertz offers drop off service hence why the $25 off in Lieu of drop off service.

I called IAH but it got transferred to national reservations which had no idea about the extra discount. When I drop off at League City, I'll talk to them there. Hopefully they take the discount off. I got a mid size for $19 but after taxes and fees, it's $43.

I called IAH but it got transferred to national reservations which had no idea about the extra discount. When I drop off at League City, I'll talk to them there. Hopefully they take the discount off. I got a mid size for $19 but after taxes and fees, it's $43.

I called the League City Hertz directly and asked them about being dropped off at the port and was offered the $25 discount.

+1 281-557-9800

Nothing was added to my reservation number etc....I simply told them I was offered the discount by Shannon or Sharon memory a little fuzzy after all those drinks.

Edited by canadianeh934

A sniff of the substance is enough to determine if it is booze or water.

The process for embarkation is a joke....they give you a time to show up but it really is a first come first serve process as you are given a number that determines when you board.

Another tip:

Thanks for the great tips! You got an awesome deal on the car -- did you book directly through Hertz to get that?

On the website for shuttles from the airport, it's based on number of passengers--the more passengers the lower the price. However, at the pier it was $66 per passenger and we were filled.

I booked through expedia.ca and then called Hertz League city and asked about a ride to the port and then was offered the $25 off the car rental.

Fantastic, thanks!

Can you also shed some light on the embarkation process--I am new to NCL.

I have read in another thread that they let you select a time to be there, but that time doesn't necessarily have anything to do with boarding times. Is this also true for the Jade?

We generally show up for any cruise around 10:30 and are usually on board by 11:30, but it sounds like NCL might have a different process with the times they tell you to be there. If we want to minimize our wait at the pier, but also get on board as soon as we can (we are not in a suite), what time would you suggest picking?

Thanks again for your help -- much appreciated :)

Fantastic, thanks!

Can you also shed some light on the embarkation process--I am new to NCL.

I have read in another thread that they let you select a time to be there, but that time doesn't necessarily have anything to do with boarding times. Is this also true for the Jade?

We generally show up for any cruise around 10:30 and are usually on board by 11:30, but it sounds like NCL might have a different process with the times they tell you to be there. If we want to minimize our wait at the pier, but also get on board as soon as we can (we are not in a suite), what time would you suggest picking?

Thanks again for your help -- much appreciated :)

I'm not sure either how the self-selected arrival times correspond to the time you board the ship. We signed up for 10:30 - 11 am for our embarkation this Saturday because that's about the time we like to show up. We like to board as early as possible and enjoy the day on the ship.

I can't remember if we selected a time on the Jewel last January out of Houston, but we arrived at about 11 am and after parking and checking our bags, we walked into the terminal and were handed pieces of paper that said Boarding Group #1. There were already quite a few people waiting in the lobby, but we walked right up to the line, got to the desk for check-in, and were through security at about 11:30. We didn't have to sit and wait at all. And we don't have any special status (we're Latitude Bronze).

I just hope it goes as quickly this time, but I'm not counting on it.