Currently on board the Getaway, or why I love cruisin...

bobg529

I wrote this a few days ago. Understandably I've been busy, but in between all of the current of the moment complaints about cruising, be it with NCL or any other line, I thought it important to remind ourselves why we so enjoy this, our passion. Up front, though what I describe as MY most perfect day may differ from yours, there is a simpatico in there somewhere. Finally, I fully admit to being an NCL flag waver and apologist. We all have our moments, but my feelings about my favorite line have not changed.

This is why I love cruising. I got up this morning , after sleeping in, at 8. Worked my way up to deck 16, sat out on the patio and had breakfast. Nothing special really, scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, home fries, toast with butter and jelly, piece of pastry, coffee natch, vodka and OJ, just to take the edge off.

Went to vibe club, sat out in the sun, somebody brought me some fruit on a skewer, and a Corona. Fell asleep. Woke up because we had a sun shower. Walked to the bar on deck. Had another Corona. Went to the spa. Found a heated lounger. Fell asleep. Woke up, met some people from the night before. Had a nice chat. Went to the sauna. Spent 15 minutes building up a lovely sweat. Left the sauna, and took a shower. Strolled down to the Mojito bar on deck 8 for a Martini tasting. Traditional martini, vodka martini, lemon drop martini, apple martini, espresso martini, raspberry martini. Won a Heinekken glass, talked with new friends , went back to my cabin, changed, rested (I am not tired), decided I felt like Italian. Went on iConcietge and happily secured a reservation. Strolled down and was seated immediately. Dinner was excellent and truly hit the spot. The wine my server suggested was just right. Finished up with coffee and tiramisu. Went to the Atrium. Watched a live performance of Elton John favorites. Very nicely done too. Made some new friends. Headed to the Sugarcane bar for some more martinis. Two lemon drop, and a chocolate one for desert. Staggered back to my cabin for some well deserved shut eye. Tomorrow we dock in Aruba. This is why I love cruising. :)

Waiting to do what you describe for my 12 day coming up later this month - Well, minus the Vibe and spa passes, don't really use them that much anyway...:o But definitely breakfast & lunch at Uptown Grill, tasting, and a stroll / seating down on the Waterfront - it wouldn't be much of a good cruise without doing neither. :D

Edited by maywell

I hate to tell you this, but you're going to wake up in Nassau not Aruba...

Unless I miss something you're saying, the Getaway actually did dock in Aruba. My parents are also on that cruise. It's a 12-day with a unique itinerary. Can't recall it offhand, but there's Aruba, Curaco, St. Kitts, St. Thomas, and two other islands. No Nassau! They left 10/31 and return 11/12.

OP, sounds awesome! As said, my parents are also on that cruise and were completely looking forward to it. Enjoy the next 6 days on the Getaway!

Unless I miss something you're saying, the Getaway actually did dock in Aruba. My parents are also on that cruise. It's a 12-day with a unique itinerary. Can't recall it offhand, but there's Aruba, Curaco, St. Kitts, St. Thomas, and two other islands. No Nassau! They left 10/31 and return 11/12.

OP, sounds awesome! As said, my parents are also on that cruise and were completely looking forward to it. Enjoy the next 6 days on the Getaway!

You're correct dolita. The other two ports are St Lucia, which I'm afraid was somewhat washed out today with rain, and Barbados. They did give us a 50% refund on today's tours due to the weather and I used that and a port day discount towards a massage. Just trying to take lemons and make lemonade!:rolleyes:

We are having a great time regardless. The Getaway is a wonderful ship! :D

Can you confirm if the MDR and the Specialties are doing the new menus with the A la Carte pricing? Intent not to complain about it, just curious since we are seeing conflicting stories.

The new menus are still in testing status apparently. I asked the maître D at a restaurant this morning after breakfast. He confirmed that they are coming after the new year. He was quite forthcoming. He also said that the bulk of the MDR menu would be complimentary, and that only a few special entrees such as lobster would be ala carte. Personally I'd rather pay a little extra for a better quality product anyhow. There is some up pricing on the specialy menus but again that seems relegated only to a few special dishes. For example the 32 oz steak at LeBistro had an additional charge.