South Beach hotel for start of Honeymoon

annenj

I've gone through the forums and I'm still wondering what folks would choose for a night in South Beach.

I want to surprise my new husband with a night (before our 13 night cruise) in South Beach. We'll be arriving around lunchtime in MIA, and I'd like to find a hotel that we can walk to restaurants and such and spend the afternoon.

Many to choose from: Mondrain, Wyndam, Ritz, Fountainebleau, etc. Prices are all around $300 (or so) for later this month.

As I'm not familiar with the area, I'd like to find something centrally located, but not where we'd be in the room at night, and hear outside partying.

I've read reviews on many sites, and all the hotels that I've mentioned seem to be OK.

Does anyone have 1st hand experience with any of the hotels I've mentioned that would be good for the start of our Honeymoon?

TIA!

Large resorts like Fountainbleau in Miami Beach have everything on the grounds including clubs and restaurants. What are you looking to do? A resort experience or classy hotel closer to the action of SoBe? Delano is in a great location for experiencing the sobe life style. Familiarize yourself with the area on tripadvisor. I'd prefer something south of 17th st.

Edited by eandj

I've gone through the forums and I'm still wondering what folks would choose for a night in South Beach.

I want to surprise my new husband with a night (before our 13 night cruise) in South Beach. We'll be arriving around lunchtime in MIA, and I'd like to find a hotel that we can walk to restaurants and such and spend the afternoon.

Many to choose from: Mondrain, Wyndam, Ritz, Fountainebleau, etc. Prices are all around $300 (or so) for later this month.

As I'm not familiar with the area, I'd like to find something centrally located, but not where we'd be in the room at night, and hear outside partying.

I've read reviews on many sites, and all the hotels that I've mentioned seem to be OK.

Does anyone have 1st hand experience with any of the hotels I've mentioned that would be good for the start of our Honeymoon?

TIA!

If the Ritz Carlton (there is also a Ritz Hotel in South Beach) is $300 jump all over that. It is the best located of the four you listed.

Do you have all day and a night or just the night?

All day (if the RC isn't that price), go with the Mondrian. That is one of the coolest hotels with a super cool pool. The only con is that it is a little isolated in South of Fifth but easily walkable to Joes, Smith & Wollensky (which is the best place to watch the ships leave but $$$$$), and Montys. It is a short Uber ride to Lincoln Road, Espanola Way, and Ocean Drive. Do not eat at any of the restaurants on Ocean Drive except for Front Porch or News Cafes. They have a shuttle to the beach at their sister properties The Delano and The Shore Club. I think you can also use the facilities at both properties.

Lastly, the Fountainbleu, while spectacular, isn't in South Beach but about two miles north. Heavy traffic (always heavy traffic) makes it about a ten to fifteen minute cab or Uber ride.

Forgot to add, if any of these hotels are in your budget, go with them in this order:

The Setai

The Shore Club

The Delano (it started it all)

The W Hotel

The SLS

The Loews Hotel

1 Hotel

Edited by BlueHerons

Thanks for all the replies! I really appreciate it.

We are arriving in Miami around 1-ish and have the rest of the afternoon and evening. Since we live on the NJ shore and are going on a Caribbean cruise, I doubt we'll spend any time on the beach or by the pool. I'd like to walk around a bit and take in the area.

BlueHerons: Yes, it's the Ritz Carlton for $300. It looks like a good location, too, so based on your recommendation, I'll book it!

Any other reqs for a great place for drinks and maybe another for dinner?

I've been all over trip advisor, but you seem to know the area well!

Thanks!

Thanks for all the replies! I really appreciate it.

We are arriving in Miami around 1-ish and have the rest of the afternoon and evening. Since we live on the NJ shore and are going on a Caribbean cruise, I doubt we'll spend any time on the beach or by the pool. I'd like to walk around a bit and take in the area.

BlueHerons: Yes, it's the Ritz Carlton for $300. It looks like a good location, too, so based on your recommendation, I'll book it!

Any other reqs for a great place for drinks and maybe another for dinner?

I've been all over trip advisor, but you seem to know the area well!

Thanks!

Go with the Ritz Carlton!

Go to The Shore Club for drinks! Head through the lobby and head outside. The entire outdoors, pool areas, etc are transformed at night into a lush lounge.

Nobu is also very good for dinner.

Yardbird is very popular and excellent for dinner. Southern Cuisine.

The SLS also has a gorgeous outdoor bar! Think of a very Alice In Wonderland, luxurious bar but all outdoors.

Poolside by The Delano I think is a must for a mojito.

If you want to see a real South Beach dive, go to Mac's Club Deuce. I was in the Deuce one night and Mick Jagger was on my right and a drag queen on my left. It's been there for 50 years and was the location for the Miami Vice series wrap party.

Definitely go with the Ritz Carlton.

On your reservation note that it is the start of your honeymoon.

Maybe they will upgrade you.

The rooms have all been redone and it is a wonderful hotel.

And on a great beach area.

Congratulations.

Keith

Thanks again for all your recommendations!

I'm all set for the Ritz Carlton, and with the $300 price tag, I not only got breakfast included for us, but a $100 resort credit to use there. I guess we'll be having some drinks and food there, although that wasn't my original thought.

I did mention that it's our honeymoon, and they said there's a good possibility for an upgrade.

Yay! Thanks again!

Thanks again for all your recommendations!

I'm all set for the Ritz Carlton, and with the $300 price tag, I not only got breakfast included for us, but a $100 resort credit to use there. I guess we'll be having some drinks and food there, although that wasn't my original thought.

I did mention that it's our honeymoon, and they said there's a good possibility for an upgrade.

Yay! Thanks again!

Wow! That's a deal!

A couple of poolside Mojitos and there goes your credit! Enjoy and please come back and tell us how it was!

Congrats!

I just thought of something, since you want to get out and see South Beach, try and use the credit at one of the gift shops or for a hotel bathrobe!

Edited by BlueHerons

Ha!

I did ask if I could use the credit at the gift shop and that is the one place I CAN'T use it. (as well as towards the room and taxes)

I'll use it for drinks and maybe some appetizers before dinner. Perhaps a Mimosa (or 2) with my breakfast?!? ;-)

Ha!

I did ask if I could use the credit at the gift shop and that is the one place I CAN'T use it. (as well as towards the room and taxes)

I'll use it for drinks and maybe some appetizers before dinner. Perhaps a Mimosa (or 2) with my breakfast?!? ;-)

Forget that, order a bottle of Veuve for your breakfast! It is your honeymoon after all, start your cruise off in style!!