Opinion on Mid Price hotels, Ft Lauderdale

endoellen

Just looking for a clean room/bed to stay in for one night pre-cruise. Will most likely not arrive in FLL until 4pm or later & head to cruise port the next morning. I'm thinking it's not really worth renting a car with such few hours to use it, so will most likely take taxi from airport to hotel & from hotel to cruise port the next day. So, I would like a hotel where a restaurant & bar would be within walking distance.

By mid- price, I'm thinking around $150+taxes for the night. I'v been checking rates for 11/27/15. May be booking Navigator of the Seas for 11/28/15 sailing. Good rates for a nice ship!

I've come up with these few hotels in mid price range: Riverside Hotel on Las Olas Blvd, Bahia Mar near the beach & Harbor Beach Inn.

Has anyone stayed at any of these? Opinions please & would any of them be good to stay at without having a rental car?

Thanks in advance!!

For Friday night of a holiday weekend only three weeks away I am surprised to see those hotels with a decent selection of rooms left. I suggest you jump right on the Riverside Hotel; it sounds like Black Friday Night on Las Olas Blvd would be just what you were looking for. If you would rather be near the beach I think the upcharge for an ocean view room at the Bahia Mar is worth it even for the short time you will be in the room.

I stayed at the Riverside pre cruise awhile ago and loved the area. Lots of shops, restaurants, etc. a great way to start off the cruise! It is an older hotel with a great location. Loved Las Olas area.

We are cruising end of January and the rates are much higher than that. We are meeting friends and staying three nights pre cruise. I was hoping to try the Embassy Suites but they were $300 per night, ouch! At that rate the three nights hotel plus meals would cost more than the cruise!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

If you are on that side, you can also see port from hotel window. Although not on your list, we've stayed twice at comfort suites cruise port. Free shuttle to from airport. If cruising out of port Everglades I think there's a shuttle to there. Restaurants across street (although busy multi lane hey). Cvs is next door and easy 10 min walk out back to wine store, public and several restaurants. Will gladly stay there again. Clean and decent breakfast.

Edited by wantocruisemore

Thanks for the replies! I'm going to reserve today!! Think I'm leaning toward Riverside because of the location. Just wish I could get a flight that would get us to FLL earlier!

We've never cruised this time of year. Usually cruise in April or May & have been very lucky with good weather & good seas. Due to a medical problem we had to cancel our vacay for this past May. And I really need to cruise!!!

Ellen

You are going to love Riverside Hotel. It is exactly what you are looking for. I like the restaurant/bar across the street, Big City Tavern. Also, walk a few blocks east and you'll find Louie Bossie's by the same owners. It's awesome!

Another option to look at is Hyatt Place. Very close to port. You can book on valuetrips.com for $139 plus tax. It includes pick up at the airport and breakfast in the morning. There are lots of places to eat nearby and stores for last minute wine etc.

That being said, if I had a choice, the Las Olas area is great and is nice for a night time stroll and meal. You'll need a cab to the hotel and port in the morning. ($20/$15 or so for the rides)

(Just wanted to add another cpopular cruiser choice in the mix that had the transp. and brkfast included if you wanted that.)

Edited by eandj

You are going to love Riverside Hotel. It is exactly what you are looking for. I like the restaurant/bar across the street, Big City Tavern. Also, walk a few blocks east and you'll find Louie Bossie's by the same owners. It's awesome!

Have y'all been back yet? I hope you asked for you know who!

To the OP, jump all over The Riverside! It is absolutely gorgeous this time of year!

They've restrung every single tree on Las Olas with new LED lights so it is stunning! I walk home from work just gobsmacked.

As far as the oceanfront hotels are concerned, with your late arrival, it will be dark by the time you get to the hotel and you will not really be able to see the beach unless with have a bright moon.

Aside from Louie Bossi and Big City on Las Olas, I love Royal Pig, Cheesecake Factory, Gran Forno, Sweet Nectar, Fork & Balls, and Roccos Tacos.

I suggest you go out for a stroll and eat somewhere outside. The boulevard is simply gorgeous this time of year!

Edited by BlueHerons

Another option to look at is Hyatt Place. Very close to port. You can book on valuetrips.com for $139 plus tax. It includes pick up at the airport and breakfast in the morning. There are lots of places to eat nearby and stores for last minute wine etc.

That being said, if I had a choice, the Las Olas area is great and is nice for a night time stroll and meal. You'll need a cab to the hotel and port in the morning. ($20/$15 or so for the rides)

(Just wanted to add another cpopular cruiser choice in the mix that had the transp. and brkfast included if you wanted that.)

Thanks for the addtl info. I reserved Riverside, but I can cancel up to 2 days before if I find a better deal or change my mind.

Have y'all been back yet? I hope you asked for you know who!

To the OP, jump all over The Riverside! It is absolutely gorgeous this time of year!

They've restrung every single tree on Las Olas with new LED lights so it is stunning! I walk home from work just gobsmacked.

As far as the oceanfront hotels are concerned, with your late arrival, it will be dark by the time you get to the hotel and you will not really be able to see the beach unless with have a bright moon.

Aside from Louie Bossi and Big City on Las Olas, I love Royal Pig, Cheesecake Factory, Gran Forno, Sweet Nectar, Fork & Balls, and Roccos Tacos.

I suggest you go out for a stroll and eat somewhere outside. The boulevard is simply gorgeous this time of year!

Thanks for the great advice/opinion!! I love these boards for all the helpful information. Riverside location sounds perfect for our pre-cruise evening!

Thanks for the great advice/opinion!! I love these boards for all the helpful information. Riverside location sounds perfect for our pre-cruise evening!

It is perfect! You will be so glad you booked it! We have drinks with Ryan in the back lobby bar all the time.

Thanks to everyone who replied!!

This was such a last minute decision & I rarely plan a vacay on such short notice. Reserved Riverside for 11/27/15, booked the cruise on Navigator of the Seas this morning, booked air and purchased travel insurance!!! Was a busy morning making sure I could get everything booked & coordinated.

Got a great price on balcony cabin for 8 night cruise, $1757.00 for 2 with pre-paid gratuities!!

Booked air on United for $400 change fee. Had to cancel flight we had in May due to a medical issue.

Now I only have a couple of weeks to plan for our ports of call. I usually book & plan in advance, but will have to wing it this time.

Appreciate all the great people on these boards. Always good information.

Ellen