Suggestions for Christmas River Cruises 2016

janetcbl

Would love suggestions for Christmas Market River Cruises for 2016. We want to be away during the holidays and have cruised the Danube, the Rhine and the Rhone and enjoyed all 3 during the Summer/Fall seasons. Which cruise did you enjoy and why? How different are the areas ?......we like small non-touristy markets if possible. We have been in Vienna and did really enjoy the huge market in front of the town hall (?) New Year's Eve, so we are open to all suggestions. Many thanks!

Would love suggestions for Christmas Market River Cruises for 2016. We want to be away during the holidays and have cruised the Danube, the Rhine and the Rhone and enjoyed all 3 during the Summer/Fall seasons. Which cruise did you enjoy and why? How different are the areas ?......we like small non-touristy markets if possible. We have been in Vienna and did really enjoy the huge market in front of the town hall (?) New Year's Eve, so we are open to all suggestions. Many thanks!

Most markets do close by Christmas Eve, FYI. We have taken two between Christmas and New Year's Eve. Our favorite was our Rhine cruise last year as we really enjoyed the variety of countries and cities visited. Several markets were still open and AMA made sure we visited these.

We are going Nov 25 to Dec 6 on Grand Circle Basel to Amsterdam Rhine (if it ever rains) and I will posting a review when I get back. We booked June 1 and it seemed like about half the rooms were still available, all types.

We are going Nov 25 to Dec 6 on Grand Circle Basel to Amsterdam Rhine (if it ever rains) and I will posting a review when I get back. We booked June 1 and it seemed like about half the rooms were still available, all types.

OP is traveling over the actual holiday, fyi.

This is a tricky one, which previous posters have indicated as the markets are closed over Christmas. That is, they either close latest 23rd December for the season or just close on 24th and 25th December, and possibly the 26th December as they are public / church holidays. Trading restrictions very much apply on those days.

Second problem is that on the cruises almost all markets are very touristy and busy. Rüdesheim on the Rhine is packed with British and US-American tourists I have heard. ;)

For the smaller markets with a higher ratio locals to tourists I would recommend a land tour instead.

If you can get a cruise on the Moselle you are most likely to get the smaller markets.

The Main is another option you could look into.

The large Christmas markets have great stalls of course and can be very atmospheric. Some cities do have smaller markets a little of the beaten track, sometimes in suburbs.

Tourist information centres can help you out there.

Please note that some smaller markets only open on weekends.

Have a look at some suggestions from the UK:

http://www.wanderlust.co.uk/planatrip/inspire-me/lists/top-8-german-christmas-markets?page=all

I myself enjoyed Frankfurt and I do like the decorations of the market next to Cologne Cathedral.

I like the local Christmas markets near where I live, they are only on at the weekend (s) and often have charity stalls with handmade stuff.

One of my favourites is the one at Traben-Trarbach on the Moselle, in the old wine cellars. It is somewhat busy on Sundays but very atmospheric and quaint.

notamermaid

The small markets in Colmar were charming and not touristy compared to many others we have visited.

There were a few in Strasbourg as well.

Munich has the Tollwood markets open after Christmas and Berlin has a couple as well.

Rudesheim felt deserted when we visited on 30 December and there were no markets and no tourists to be seen.