Gluten free items

Cruisegirl6

Can anybody tell me what they have eaten that is gluten free that is made special such as any desserts, or pizza, bread, etc?

Just off the Magic and found the breads at breakfast were divine (filled with seeds and nuts, and just yummy). They had several kinds throughout the week and are labeled as gluten free at the buffet. I'm not gluten intolerant/sensitive, but tried them because of the ingredients listed...therefore I'm unable to comment on the other items you asked about.

I wonder if you were to contact the special needs department if they would be able to provide a detailed list.

Can anybody tell me what they have eaten that is gluten free that is made special such as any desserts, or pizza, bread, etc?

My adult daughter is GF and we sailed in June on the Glory. We emailed the special needs department ahead of time and were told to go see someone in dining room when we boarded the ship. We sat down with a really nice lady and my daughter selected her dinner choices for that evening. Every night in dining room they would come to the table with the next evenings menu and she again would pre-select her choices. They were very accommodating and she enjoyed all of her choices. The chocolate melting cake was really good according to her. You can request GF pizza also but she didn't care for the crust itself. Some of the breads on the buffet were ok, some were not. However you should be careful about cross contamination in any buffet line with GF. The breads they served at dinner that were GF she liked really well. I was surprised at how flexible everything was and pleased with Carnival's service in this area. Good Luck!

You can also do GF wraps at the deli. They do take cross contamination precautions and prepare the wrap in the back room and change gloves for it. My wife had those on the Legend this summer and she said they were fantastic. We also ate pizza regularly and my wife liked the GF crust as much as the regular.

My adult daughter is GF and we sailed in June on the Glory. We emailed the special needs department ahead of time and were told to go see someone in dining room when we boarded the ship. We sat down with a really nice lady and my daughter selected her dinner choices for that evening. Every night in dining room they would come to the table with the next evenings menu and she again would pre-select her choices. They were very accommodating and she enjoyed all of her choices. The chocolate melting cake was really good according to her. You can request GF pizza also but she didn't care for the crust itself. Some of the breads on the buffet were ok, some were not. However you should be careful about cross contamination in any buffet line with GF. The breads they served at dinner that were GF she liked really well. I was surprised at how flexible everything was and pleased with Carnival's service in this area. Good Luck!

Same experience in all our cruises. My DD is gluten free, autistic and diabetic. They went out of their way to make sure things went well. If you are on a ship with Guys Burgers, they usually have uti GF buns. At buffet first day, be sure to ask someone so you make sure you get GF.

The fries, soft serve ice cream on deck (although not the cones) are GF. Dinner is great, they pretty much made everything special. We would preorder breakfast the same way. They can make GF pancakes, cake etc.

if you want omelettes be sure to tell them you're GF and get a clean pan.

If in doubt, just ask. Also if you do an excursion that includes meal or snack, be sure to mention to special needs and also go by excursion desk with copy of correspondence. I had the copy but did not go by excursion desk, and DD did not get included. Luckily it was just a snack and I had brought something for her.

You can also bring on snacks in sealed packages.

A cruise is my favorite way to travel because I can deal with GF needs so much easier.

Thank you for that I can see now they have done more for those that need to be GF....just last year they didn't have GF wraps at the deli or GF breads at the buffet, this is wonderful. I recall them making me a chocolate melting cake GF dessert but that was the only dessert available I curious whether they make cheesecake and other desserts GF? :rolleyes:

Yes, I could call special needs and have online mentioned it in my booking and the fact my other half needs to be sugar free, but this time we are doing anytime dining so we would not have the same waiter overnight, although I do know they are very good about knowing what I will be able to eat and not eat in the MDR. The buffet I always pretty much knew what I could eat, rice, potatoes, bacon, salads, veggies, meat carving, roterrserie chicken, there was always things for me to eat at the buffet, unlike NCL was horrible.

Same experience in all our cruises. My DD is gluten free, autistic and diabetic. They went out of their way to make sure things went well. If you are on a ship with Guys Burgers, they usually have uti GF buns. At buffet first day, be sure to ask someone so you make sure you get GF.

The fries, soft serve ice cream on deck (although not the cones) are GF. Dinner is great, they pretty much made everything special. We would preorder breakfast the same way. They can make GF pancakes, cake etc.

if you want omelettes be sure to tell them you're GF and get a clean pan.

If in doubt, just ask. Also if you do an excursion that includes meal or snack, be sure to mention to special needs and also go by excursion desk with copy of correspondence. I had the copy but did not go by excursion desk, and DD did not get included. Luckily it was just a snack and I had brought something for her.

You can also bring on snacks in sealed packages.

A cruise is my favorite way to travel because I can deal with GF needs so much easier.

Huh?? :confused: Gluten is in wheat and I've never seen any wheat items put into an omelette before.

Who Cares hello....Well, I have to first thank wantocruisemore because they mentioned about eggs and gluten....I never thought eggs had gluten and they don't but upon googling, I have found that sometimes when chickens are fed with a heavy diet of gluten grains it could give reaction to those who are GF because it ends up in the egg.....well....THIS EXPLAINS WHY I can't eat eggs, never figured that out just thought I had an allergy to eggs.

Upon googling, I also found that Egglands Best are gluten free eggs. Interesting I may just try them one day.

Huh?? :confused: Gluten is in wheat and I've never seen any wheat items put into an omelette before.

IHOP puts a pancake batter in their eggs to make them fluffier so it does happen. Denny's advertises gluten free muffins but the last one we went to they put them in the same toaster as the other bread.

I am sure the omelet station is okay but as someone who lives with someone with Celiac, it is always best to ask for a clean pan because you never know what may be in some of the other ingredients - most ham is gluten free but some with glazes are not. This will be our first cruise since his diagnosis but someone who understands Celiac knows you can never be too careful in watching the prep.

Edited by ladyd11933

I really haven't found any problem in finding anything to eat on Carnival....at times I do ask somebody behind the buffet whether there is gluten in a particular food and if they did not know they always got me somebody to help me that did know. The vegetables most of the time are without sauces and spices on Carnival, I know I can eat these, then the rice and potatoes I can eat, the meat carving never ever had an issue of gluten just left the gravy off of it....I just stay away from he sauces and gravies that contain gluten....there usually is a fish dish always gluten free for me. The salad bar I use oil and vinegar. They have gluten free pizza and when I eat a burger I don't use the bun....the only problem is the desserts they never had gluten free desserts other than jello available at the buffet. But just learning that their soft ice cream is gluten free well you be sure I be there. :D

My DD is autistic and a GF diet works best best for her. She is not that sensitive. But while in line at the omelette station I talked with another lady. She told me if she didn't ask for fresh eggs (the carton mix has gluten) and a clean pan, that she would get sick. I did not understand the pan thing at first, but I think the idea is a completely clean prep. It's always better to be safe than sorry. I know in the MDR the pans they use for GF are dedicated just for that.

I second everything Cheermom13 said, but a few other notes from above... Don't listen to the people that know everything about eggs and the omelet station. :rolleyes: Basically, the omelet mix is premade and has gluten in it. Ask for a clean pan and fresh eggs, which they keep under the counter, and you shouldn't have any problem. This is what I ate every morning that we had a port day and the MDR wasn't open (or if it was, we didn't have time to eat there), along with a piece of labeled gluten free bread from the buffet. I didn't have any problems. Also, the only fries that are gluten free are at Guy's burgers. I can't remember if you have to ask for them special, without seasoning, but that's a possibility. On the Glory in January, they didn't have gluten free buns or wraps, but they were happy to go get a few pieces of bread to act as a bun (and it was better without). That didn't stop me from enjoying bunless Guy's burgers. The staff is really careful, for the most part. Definitely visit the dining room as you get on the ship. I was pretty much out of luck for dinner the first night because I didn't think to go do that. I ended up with a chicken breast dinner, which was really good, so it all worked out. The only dessert other than a WCMC I had was a crème Brule. And honestly, it was horrible. Next time I order it, I'll order a WCMC as well, in case it is just as bad. We also participated in the Chef's table. Now that was an amazing gluten free experience. It's awesome what they can do! I never got sick, so we are definitely enjoying cruising!

The egg mixture used at the omlette station is not 100 percent pure eggs and contains gluten ingredients. Same goes for the scrambled eggs on the buffet. If you want an omlette you should ask for a clean pan and fresh eggs to be used. My son is GF and cruised on the magic and triumph with no issues. Other GF desserts he was made were melting cake. Also, the seasoning in the fries at guys contain gluten we were told. DS would ask for no seasoning and they were happy to comply. By the end of the week they would see him and know he wanted season free fries. He ate guys at least every day -- sometimes twice.

1stTimeCruiserAmy- That is exactly why I never eat any eggs on a ship, I figured the liquid eggs that is used for the omelet probably contains gluten.

Generally, for breakfast I get some ham, extra bacon, some fruit, cheese, but on sea days we go to the brunch. At the brunch I get the steak without the eggs (ask for no marinade on the steak), grits, and get the hen all diavola, was told there was no gluten and never got sick eating it and its tasty.

They most likely use the "liquid" eggs, as most restaurants do. Those do have gluten. To be assured gluten-free, they must use "real" eggs. That is why it is important to mention.

My wife, who is a Celiac, always gets an omelet for breakfast but rather than use the cheese that is offered at the omelet station she gets actual cheese from the fruit and cheese station and has them use that. Some of the packaged, grated cheeses are packaged with starch with can contain gluten.

Knock on wood, she hasn't gotten "bitten" from the omelet station yet!!