Which port is good for shopping?

CGYCruisingFamily

OP, not to beat a dead horse but since the economy is not good in Calgary why not give a local vendor the business. I think you'll be happier if you do.

Best post in this thread.

I always try hard to keep as much business in my community as possible.

I like to support local businesses,,,, if I think they are treating customers well.

About all I buy in the Caribbean is local art that I might like (in martinique, for example, I found a water color artist right at the dock whose work I loved), in barbados, pottery by earthworks, agai, right at the pier, in aruba, a line of aloe skin care...in green packaging...can't think of the name, some wind chimes from a kiosk in st. Maarten and the guava berry liquors....hot sauce from gladys' cafe in st. Thomas.

In the 10 years we've been cruising to the caribbean, jewelry "deals" have plummeted.

About all I buy in the Caribbean is local art that I might like (in martinique, for example, I found a water color artist right at the dock whose work I loved), in barbados, pottery by earthworks, agai, right at the pier, in aruba, a line of aloe skin care...in green packaging...can't think of the name, some wind chimes from a kiosk in st. Maarten and the guava berry liquors....hot sauce from gladys' cafe in st. Thomas.

In the 10 years we've been cruising to the caribbean, jewelry "deals" have plummeted.

I agree! When we first visited St. Thomas in 1977, they had beautiful table linens at very good prices so I purchased some lovely things that I still have today. I was a store manager at Carson, Pirie, Scott at that time so I knew the price points. Those days are gone. We were in St Thomas in 2013 and I found no real deals in the stores. I would really hesitate to buy jewelry or watches in the Caribbean these days.

Are you possibly thinking of Amber cove?

No, there's a small shopping development, according to the tourism website. I have no idea what's there. It must be very new. A friend who was there 2 years ago said there was nothing in the town except a rusty Coke machine.

http://www.gosamana-dominicanrepublic.com/plaza-pueblo-principe-shopping-center-in-town-of-samana-900px.jpg

I look for local art, too. I try to find souvenirs that are locally made. I'm tired of t-shirts where you see the same shirt on three different islands, they just change the name of the island.

Folks might want to consider that there is a reason that stores like Diamonds International, Tanzanite International (both owned by a New Yorker who has no stores in NYC), Little Switzerland, etc. only have stores in busy cruise ports (with very few exceptions). We live in Puerto Vallarta for part of the year where there is a very nice Diamonds International Store. Despite the fact that nearly 60,000 Canadians and Americans live in this region during the winter, the DI store is usually near empty unless a cruise ship happens to be in port. Does not anyone wonder why?

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Folks might want to consider that there is a reason that stores like Diamonds International, Tanzanite International (both owned by a New Yorker who has no stores in NYC), Little Switzerland, etc. only have stores in busy cruise ports (with very few exceptions). We live in Puerto Vallarta for part of the year where there is a very nice Diamonds International Store. Despite the fact that nearly 60,000 Canadians and Americans live in this region during the winter, the DI store is usually near empty unless a cruise ship happens to be in port. Does not anyone wonder why?

Hank

I think some cruisers know that these places aren't that great but others get taken in. I remember talking to a cruiser on a ship that thought DI was the best thing since sliced bread. They depend on people like that.

I think some cruisers know that these places aren't that great but others get taken in. I remember talking to a cruiser on a ship that thought DI was the best thing since sliced bread. They depend on people like that.

I think that many less-experienced cruisers believe the hype/reputation/myth of Caribbean bargains. And the "port lectures" promote shopping, so passengers think it's the thing to do. I remember about 12 years ago, we were on a Royal Carib cruise and people were going nuts for those coupon books for port shopping. I took a look at one and passed. You'd have to spend a lot of money to "save" money.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

OP We were in the same boat,but wanted a small point & shoot camera..I asked advice here & everyone suggested I look at Best Buy or a big box store.. We leave next week on our Caribbean cruise..

Instead I purchased my camera at our local Sam's, a big Box store, for an excellent price & happy I did..

Why not go on-line with your Son..Look up some of the big box stores or regular stores such as Best Buy, in your area & have your Son pick out a watch...

Years ago I purchased a Citizen on board HAL & it still works, but doubt the bargains still exist even on board..

Edited by serendipity1499

We have been promising we would look when we are away.
Look but don't touch . :D

Great advice . Purchasing art and handicrafts is a wonderful holiday memento and much more authentic then some electronics or jewelry made nowhere near the port stop . I guess truthfully some of these handicrafts may also not be in anyway local .