Prinsendam - any comments on this cruise?

SeaWatch

We did this cruise in Septmber, 2014 on the Prinsendam and loved it. In addition to the ports bring excellent, we had a few days pre and post in Amsterdam and Barcelona, Great cities!

How were the seas on this route during September?

How were the seas on this route during September?

Very smooth except for one day when leaving Lisbon it was quite windy out and the ship rocked a bit, but really not bad. If you have not cruised the Prinsendam, she is a lovely, classy older ship and we loved the size. Most often we cruise on larger ships and the size of the Prinsendam was wonderful for us. Service levels were excellent and we enjoyed the food and entertainment very much.

Many of the ports you can do on your own, which we always enjoy. We did do a few tours, and some ports where we took a shuttle into town and enjoyed leisurely time on our own. If you have never been to Amsterdam or Barcelona be sure to allow extra time for each!

Very smooth except for one day when leaving Lisbon it was quite windy out and the ship rocked a bit, but really not bad. If you have not cruised the Prinsendam, she is a lovely, classy older ship and we loved the size. Most often we cruise on larger ships and the size of the Prinsendam was wonderful for us. Service levels were excellent and we enjoyed the food and entertainment very much.

Many of the ports you can do on your own, which we always enjoy. We did do a few tours, and some ports where we took a shuttle into town and enjoyed leisurely time on our own. If you have never been to Amsterdam or Barcelona be sure to allow extra time for each!

We too were on the Sept 2014 trip and it was our favorite! Also you will actually sail on a river! The time of year was perfect and the ports of call diverse! Loved it so much we have booked an Aug trip on the Prinsendam!

I did not know that cruise ships could make it to Seville.
The itinerary shows it as Huelva (Seville) Spain, so I would say the ship doesn't make it to Seville ... but Huelva is about 10 miles up a river.

Edited by jtl513

I wouldn't go on it, if I were you;)

There is a ship for everyone. If you don't like it, that's your prerogative. But keep in mind that some of us do like the "Elegant Explorer." For myself, I have no interest in sailing a ship as large as the Nieuw Amsterdam, but if other passengers love it, good for them. They should enjoy it. I sailed on one Vista class ship and didn't care for it, but I'd never say "I wouldn't go on it, if I were you!" That would be rude.

We have only sailed on the Nieuw Amsterdam and the Massdam. The Prisendam looks amazing.
Don't get your expectations too high, as I did. I felt the P'dam was very much like a 2/3 scale Maasdam, and on identical itineraries would choose the Maasdam.

I did a similar cruise Sept 2013 (Amsterdam to Barcelona - some different ports) on her. When I first got off, I wasn't so impressed. Just got off of her again this past September and loved the ship. Maybe it was because on cruise in 2012 everyone kept telling me I should check out the Prinsendam and I too had set my expectations too high. Or, I was in pain the entire trip which clouded my vision. You probably guessed I cruise for itinerary and not ship, so yes, I'd go back on her.

BTW - I loved the south of Spain. Absolutely beautiful area.

Don't get your expectations too high, as I did. I felt the P'dam was very much like a 2/3 scale Maasdam, and on identical itineraries would choose the Maasdam.

And don't overpay for the Prinsendam. We felt food menus service were standard HAL. We didn't see the value added component for the higher per diem paid. Pay some more money and go on a premium line, HAL is not premium.

There is a ship for everyone. If you don't like it, that's your prerogative. But keep in mind that some of us do like the "Elegant Explorer." For myself, I have no interest in sailing a ship as large as the Nieuw Amsterdam, but if other passengers love it, good for them. They should enjoy it. I sailed on one Vista class ship and didn't care for it, but I'd never say "I wouldn't go on it, if I were you!" That would be rude.

You didn't look at my clock, did you?

We did the bulk of these ports on our Prinsendam cruise. They were great ports IMO. Cherbourg is so beautiful and you are left with the tough choice of seeing it or going to the Normandy Beaches.

Brugges is a great spot and Malaga is always nice.

As to your Seville port - nothing is like Seville.

Just a heads up that you may NOT be able to cruise the river. The year we were supposed to do it, the river had not been cleaned of it's silt and no river cruising could be done so we had to dock elsewhere. We did get notice though and long before final payment. We were all looking forward to that "river cruise". Back then, we were going to dock right in Seville (it's really not that long ago;)

I agree with the Prinsendam fans but we are fans so we are prejudiced. She does handle the seas well though, better than the other ships IMO and I suspect you will be fine as far as that goes ;)

The Prinsendam can go up the Bordeaux River unlike the larger S and R class ships. Only other ships that go to Bordeaux are Braemar, Silversea, Oceania, Crystal and Seabourne. Most of which are definitely pricier than the Prinsendam

My husband and I are looking forward to sailing up the Bordeaux. And we are also looking forward to sailing on the Prinsendam which cuts through the waves like none of the S, R and Vista Class ships do!! Also, by the time of this cruise, the Prinsendam will have gone through drydock. And since this is a repositioning cruise, the price is less expensive than most of the Prinsendam cruises.