Jersey Gardens Shopping Mall

vondofife

I'm looking for some advice. We are travelling to New York on 25th March and staying for two nights before our cruise at the Hilton Garden Inn West 35th Street.

After we disembark Anthem of the Seas on Friday 8th April, we are staying at the Hyatt Regency in New Jersey for one night. Our flight home is at 7:00pm from Newark Airport on Saturday 9th April.

We really want to spend a few hours at Jersey Gardens Shopping Mall and thought an ideal time would be on Saturday 9th April before our flight home. We thought we could check out of our hotel and head to the mall. I believe it is very near to Newark Airport.

Is there luggage storage at Newark for our suitcases as I don't want to be trailing them around the shops with us?

How easy is it to get from the Hyatt Regency to Jersey Gardens Mall?

Please help!

Edited by vondofife

I'm looking for some advice. We are travelling to New York on 25th March and staying for two nights before our cruise at the Hilton Garden Inn West 35th Street.

After we disembark Anthem of the Seas on Friday 8th April, we are staying at the Hyatt Regency in New Jersey for one night. Our flight home is at 7:00pm from Newark Airport on Saturday 9th April.

We really want to spend a few hours at Jersey Gardens Shopping Mall and thought an ideal time would be on Saturday 9th April before our flight home. We thought we could check out of our hotel and head to the mall. I believe it is very near to Newark Airport.

Is there luggage storage at Newark for our suitcases as I don't want to be trailing them around the shops with us?

How easy is it to get from the Hyatt Regency to Jersey Gardens Mall?

Please help!

There is no luggage storage at Newark unless you can check your luggage early with your airline - probably only 4 hours early.

To get from the Hyatt Regency to the airport you can take a cab/car service or public transit - PATH from Exchange Place to Newark Penn Station and train to Newark Airport Station. From there you would take the free Airtrain to the P4 station and pick up the Jersey Gardens shuttle for $9 round trip.

What are you interested in buying? Over the years the Jersey Gardens Mall has had mixed reviews. My family was underwhelmed, but many folks seem to like it. I think it depends on where you come from. Have you looked at the Newport Center Mall in Jersey City, which is only a quick three stops on the light rail from the Hyatt? That would be easy to get to.

Thank you for your quick response. We live in the UK and have just returned from a holiday in Orlando. We visited one of the outlets there and were pleasantly surprised at how much cheaper things were, especially Nike and Converse. One converse Tshirt for my 11 year old son costs £18 ($27) in the UK but I managed to buy two for $20 at the outlet. Converse shoes cost £60 ($90) in the UK but I could buy a pair for $50 and get the second half price at the outlet!! I'm also wanting to look at the Abercrombie and Hollister Outlet shops and also buy some candles. I believe that Jersey Gardens Outlet is owned by the same company as the one in Orlando - Simon.

We might look at getting the 111 bus from Port Authority one morning instead. We could do this when we are staying in NY. Failing that, we'll go to the Newport Mall instead. I heard there is a Yankee candle shop there!!

Thank you for your information regarding transport from the Hyatt Regency. Lots to think about xx

Edited by vondofife

Thank you for your quick response. We live in the UK and have just returned from a holiday in Orlando. We visited one of the outlets there and were pleasantly surprised at how much cheaper things were, especially Nike and Converse. One converse Tshirt for my 11 year old son costs £18 ($27) in the UK but I managed to buy two for $20 at the outlet. Converse shoes cost £60 ($90) in the UK but I could buy a pair for $50 and get the second half price at the outlet!! I'm also wanting to look at the Abercrombie and Hollister Outlet shops and also buy some candles. I believe that Jersey Gardens Outlet is owned by the same company as the one in Orlando - Simon.

We might look at getting the 111 bus from Port Authority one morning instead. We could do this when we are staying in NY. Failing that, we'll go to the Newport Mall instead. I heard there is a Yankee candle shop there!!

Thank you for your information regarding transport from the Hyatt Regency. Lots to think about xx

I thought your shopping interests might be along those lines. I've been spoiled by Nike and Converse - my SIL worked for them for a number of years and we had family discounts available to us plus access to the "mother ship" Nike employee store in Oregon. He's now moved on to Columbia Sportwear so I am now enjoying similar benefits with them.

Anyway perhaps someone can suggest other shopping options in Manhattan for the kind of gear you are interested in. Taking the 111 bus to NJ would probably be the easiest and most cost effective option for you. The other transportation options with luggage are awkward and just don't work well. You can then use your last day to run into NYC again and still get to the airport by 4-5 pm.

vondofife ~

Just to add my two cents'/ tuppence' worth: You might well be able to find everything you're looking for, and more, at the Newport Centre Mall. As Carol mentioned, it's very close to the Hyatt Regency--a quick trip on the light rail, or a 15-minute walk.

My own (& my wife's) shopping experiences at the Newport mall generally center on Macy's and Kohl's, two large department stores with extensive selections of clothing and housewares... Altogether the mall has more than 130 stores & shops, indeed including (according to the list linked below) a Yankee Candle Shop. (I've never noticed it myself, but that may be because I haven't ever gone searching for candles.:D)

http://www.simon.com/mall/newport-centre/map

http://www.simon.com/mall/newport-centre/stores

Hope this helps.

Both Jersey Gardens and Newport Mall are in an Urban Enterprise zone which offers reduced tax on non-clothing items.

"Jersey City is a shopper’s paradise, offering a variety of renowned department stores, luxury brand shops, small boutiques and unique ethnic shopping opportunities scattered throughout the city. Here in Jersey City you will find no sales tax on clothing and only 3.5% tax on all goods in our Urban Enterprise Zones. Shopping in NYC will cost you more - 8.875% tax is added to your purchases. Shop in Jersey City and save!"

"Clothing is tax exempt, but fur clothing, clothing accessories or equipment, sport or recreational equipment, or protective equipment are taxable. Protective equipment is only exempt when purchased for the daily work of the user and worn as part of a work uniform or work clothing."

vondofife ~

Just to add my two cents'/ tuppence' worth: You might well be able to find everything you're looking for, and more, at the Newport Centre Mall. As Carol mentioned, it's very close to the Hyatt Regency--a quick trip on the light rail, or a 15-minute walk.

My own (& my wife's) shopping experiences at the Newport mall generally center on Macy's and Kohl's, two large department stores with extensive selections of clothing and housewares... Altogether the mall has more than 130 stores & shops, indeed including (according to the list linked below) a Yankee Candle Shop. (I've never noticed it myself, but that may be because I haven't ever gone searching for candles.:D)

http://www.simon.com/mall/newport-centre/map

http://www.simon.com/mall/newport-centre/stores

Hope this helps.

Both Macy's and Kohls offer all sorts of coupons on a daily basis. Sign up to receive in your email. I would never pay full price for anything at Kohls. Some luxury brands at Macy's never go on sale but they offer great sales too.

Both Macy's and Kohls offer all sorts of coupons on a daily basis. Sign up to receive in your email. I would never pay full price for anything at Kohls. Some luxury brands at Macy's never go on sale but they offer great sales too.

The Mrs has made clipping coupons for Macy's and Kohl's a full-time hobby. I just go along for the ride.:D