It's official! Formal nights gone, evening chic in! (3 Threads Merged)

Wj420

How will eliminating formal nights translate into less luggage? A tux doesn't weigh much more than a pair of dress slacks and a nice shirt. And women's dresses can be very lightweight (i.e., jersey material).

I'm not happy about this. Folks who don't want to do formal night have the option of various other dining venues. However, since Celebrity is "dumbing down" the dress code to "no ripped jeans", I think those of us who still like to dress up will look out of place.

Sad...

A tux does weight more than a pair of slacks and a shirt, because in addition to the slacks and shirt, you have a jacket, ties, vest/cummerbund, suspenders, etc.

A woman's gown can be lightweight for sure and it also can be extremely heavy if beaded. Anyway, I know that is not the point you were trying to make...but still.

If you still want to dress up, I think you should! I would rather be the best dressed than the worst dressed in a crowd of people! I say "Go for it"!

A tux does weight more than a pair of slacks and a shirt, because in addition to the slacks and shirt, you have a jacket, ties, vest/cummerbund, suspenders, etc.

A woman's gown can be lightweight for sure and it also can be extremely heavy if beaded. Anyway, I know that is not the point you were trying to make...but still.

If you still want to dress up, I think you should! I would rather be the best dressed than the worst dressed in a crowd of people! I say "Go for it"!

Usually the dress code for the evening is advertised in the dailies as either Smart Casual or Formal. Are they now going to change it to Smart Casual and "Chick" so you can dress up on the "chick" night if you wish to dawn your formal wear?

And this sentence confirms the fact that there is no difference between "Evening Chic" and "Smart Casual". The clothes will be interchangable every night on the cruise.

X would have been better off just reducing everything to "Smart Casual" the entire cruise.

That outfit can be eliminated entirely with the new code and replaced by clothes which could be mixed and matched with other clothes for use on other nights.

Ha- they're not ripped, they're distressed. And some cost hundreds of $.

They may COST hundreds of $, but they're certainly NOT worth hundreds of $. Even the most expensive denim is just under $20 a yard, but that's if you buy it by the yard and not by the bolt. (I have a wife who loves to sew, so I know fabric prices.) It also takes anywhere between 1½ to 2 yards to make a pair of jeans. So $40 in fabric at most. Overall, once you add in other costs, etc., you're looking at about $75 retail for the most expensive denim fabric you can get.

So distress them all you want, they're still not worth what you're paying. NO pair of jeans are worth more than $75. Period.

They are ripped, torn, cut.

A pig with lipstick is still a pig. And they cost more than the ripped jeans.;)

And you get it.

I am saddened to hear that Celebrity has succumbed to the ever growing casualization of people's dress style in America. It is sad to see people that think denim is dress clothes. It is sad to see where jeans replace dockers as smart or business casual. It is sad to see people out in public at nice restaurants looking like they just finished cutting the grass and forgot the shower. It is sad to think that if I decide to wear a tux on a Mediterranean or Baltic cruise, I will be the only one. What ever happened to people that care what they look like, and take the time and effort to make themselves look good. Mrs. Cleaver always wore pearls and a dress! Ward always wore a tie under his jacket... always. I am not saying that we should wear suits to dinner in our homes each evening, but what is wrong with trying to raise the bar (or try to keep the bar from dropping any further) when we go out in the evening. Really?

I suggest a pair of slacks instead of jeans. A button down collar instead of a golf shirt or t-shirt. A sport's jacket instead of a windbreaker. Then on an evening chic evening on the cruise, bring an extra pair of pants and another jacket... maybe even ones that match... or even a tux... (same matching jacket and pants) yes one will need a white shirt, but you had to bring one or 2 anyway... might as well have a silly pointed collar. And throw in a bow tie.. they are really small...

IT'S NOT THAT HARD ! and it is sad to know that people are getting so lazy and cruise companies are caving into the pressure.

It was nice to have a couple of cruise lines that were holding the line to be classy, allowing those that wanted to dress for dinner and experience an evening at the theater, the option to be with other like-minded folks. There were always other less casual options - not to name any - for casual and family oriented sailings.

Even the name Celebrity brought that feeling that their cruisers were something special - apparently, not any more...

Sad to hear about the new policy.... sad...sad...sad.

and I forgot to mention that for the fortunate few that get to participate with an officer for dinner... Let's please try to show some respect to them... they will be wearing a full dress uniform. They will be taking the time and effort to show what an officer is - can we not take a little extra effort to show them that we appreciate their efforts and their service to us to make the cruise safe and enjoyable.

Just saying. . .

I am saddened to hear that Celebrity has succumbed to the ever growing casualization of people's dress style in America. It is sad to see people that think denim is dress clothes. It is sad to see where jeans replace dockers as smart or business casual. It is sad to see people out in public at nice restaurants looking like they just finished cutting the grass and forgot the shower. It is sad to think that if I decide to wear a tux on a Mediterranean or Baltic cruise, I will be the only one. What ever happened to people that care what they look like, and take the time and effort to make themselves look good. Mrs. Cleaver always wore pearls and a dress! Ward always wore a tie under his jacket... always. I am not saying that we should wear suits to dinner in our homes each evening, but what is wrong with trying to raise the bar (or try to keep the bar from dropping any further) when we go out in the evening. Really?

I suggest a pair of slacks instead of jeans. A button down collar instead of a golf shirt or t-shirt. A sport's jacket instead of a windbreaker. Then on an evening chic evening on the cruise, bring an extra pair of pants and another jacket... maybe even ones that match... or even a tux... (same matching jacket and pants) yes one will need a white shirt, but you had to bring one or 2 anyway... might as well have a silly pointed collar. And throw in a bow tie.. they are really small...

IT'S NOT THAT HARD ! and it is sad to know that people are getting so lazy and cruise companies are caving into the pressure.

It was nice to have a couple of cruise lines that were holding the line to be classy, allowing those that wanted to dress for dinner and experience an evening at the theater, the option to be with other like-minded folks. There were always other less casual options - not to name any - for casual and family oriented sailings.

Even the name Celebrity brought that feeling that their cruisers were something special - apparently, not any more...

Well said!

And this is when CC needs to get a LIKE button!

Very well said.

Thank you!

They may COST hundreds of $, but they're certainly NOT worth hundreds of $. Even the most expensive denim is just under $20 a yard, but that's if you buy it by the yard and not by the bolt. (I have a wife who loves to sew, so I know fabric prices.) It also takes anywhere between 1½ to 2 yards to make a pair of jeans. So $40 in fabric at most. Overall, once you add in other costs, etc., you're looking at about $75 retail for the most expensive denim fabric you can get.

So distress them all you want, they're still not worth what you're paying. NO pair of jeans are worth more than $75. Period.

And you get it.

But your forgot the rivets and the hardware. I am sure they can gold plate a zipper too, if you want... :rolleyes:

Happy sailing,

Jenna

PS they're still jeans

I don't particularly like ripped denim fyi. But do note that by the logic you just laid out in determining costs - let's see, Paint, lets say $50, canvas and other bits say $200. So that Picasso should cost no more than $250 right?

I mean c'mon you don't price anything you buy by just the cost of material and manufacturing. There's a mark up, there's design, there's brand... You're just being silly.

I don't particularly like ripped denim fyi. But do note that by the logic you just laid out in determining costs - let's see, Paint, lets say $50, canvas and other bits say $200. So that Picasso should cost no more than $250 right?

I mean c'mon you don't price anything you buy by just the cost of material and manufacturing. There's a mark up, there's design, there's brand... You're just being silly.

Well, if you're willing to spending hundreds of $ for a pair of jeans, I'd much rather be considered "silly" for knowing it's not worth that amount! :rolleyes:

Formal wear requires a whole outfit of clothes which you might only wear for a few hours over the whole cruise. That outfit can be eliminated entirely with the new code and replaced by clothes which could be mixed and matched with other clothes for use on other nights.

A lot of people don't seem to understand the "pack light" philosophy of travel. Sure, it's not necessarily required on a cruise ship but as my wife always says, the less you pack the more room there is for shopping.

The bottom line is that if you enjoy dressing up then you will find room in your luggage. If not then you shouldn't have to and the space can be used for something more important to you.

Agree! My wife and I just did a 15 day TA (RCI) after 3.5 weeks in Germany, Switzerland, France and Spain beforehand. We travelled light as we always do because it's smart and because doing otherwise is foolish in any case, but more so when the alternative is lugging big suitcases between train platforms, etc. There was simply no room for formal clothes in the one carry on we each carried for the 5.5 weeks for the entire trip. We both had nice clothes for dinning and don't feel that our dress in any way should have affected anyone else's cruise experience. We even asked about our dress and we were told to not worry about it at all and that we looked fine.

The new dress policy is already in affect - most likely because it's what most cruisers want.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Really? Interesting...

So tell us your thoughts.

Whatever stereotype they have in their mind I am sure is imaginary. I do a group cruise almost every year for the last 15 years and there are folks of both political parties and no political party and there has been no correspondence between those who wore tuxedos and those who did not wear a jacket or how people dress in general at all with their politics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

Not nearly as silly as someone who will willingly fork over hundreds of dollars for a pair of jeans. Reminds me of that old quote attributed to P. T. Barnum...

It's really all subjective. Some people think it's silly to pay hundreds or thousands of dollars more to upgrade from an inside room to a balcony. Or thousands more to upgrade from a standard balcony to concierge level cabin. Or buy a Lexus over a Toyota, or any thing on a list of things that can be considered extravagant by some.

The word classy gets tossed around a lot on these boards especially when discussing formal night so I decided to google a definition. Ironically Chic and informal-posh are synonyms and when used in the sentence they are describing a hotel that was classy but relaxed.

class·y

ˈklasē/Submit

adjective informal

adjective: classy; comparative adjective: classier; superlative adjective: classiest

stylish and sophisticated.

"the hotel is classy but relaxed"

synonyms: stylish, high-class, superior, exclusive, chic, elegant, smart, sophisticated, upscale, upmarket, high-toned; informalposh, ritzy, plush, swanky, styling/stylin'

"a classy hotel"

I, too, am not in favor of the changes. I enjoy dressing up, and as someone said, you need to look respectable if invited to the Captain's table, and I do agree as I have been numerous times. That being said, I have several lightweight cocktail and long dresses that don't weigh as much as shoes! I know for men, it's a bit heavier, but one can be creative with a suit.

But, there is the issue of people who do not read the "required/suggested dress code" before they pack. Maybe their last cruise was on a different line, maybe they have never cruised before, maybe their TA didn't inform them of the dress required for dinner, etc. etc.

And, I find, more and more, through my daily life at work, that people just do not read! People are too busy, they only read the subject or first sentence. I just wonder how many people do not even know there is a dress code.

(Sorry, if I'm ranting about people not reading, but it drives me crazy at work.)

YES YES YES!!:D

Celebrity is our favorite cruise line but this makes it even better! I think the majority of cruisers these days prefer smart casual to formal. Even Oceania has been smart casual for years.

Thanks Celebrity!

I agree. If you really want a formal experience, try Cunard. Oh wait - I did that and was appalled at the lack of formal dress on formal nights! :eek:

It doesn't matter a whole lot to me as a woman - one dress is just as easy to put on as another. But, DH will be thrilled. He hates ties.

But, there is the issue of people who do not read the "required/suggested dress code" before they pack. Maybe their last cruise was on a different line, maybe they have never cruised before, maybe their TA didn't inform them of the dress required for dinner, etc. etc.

And, I find, more and more, through my daily life at work, that people just do not read! People are too busy, they only read the subject or first sentence. I just wonder how many people do not even know there is a dress code.

(Sorry, if I'm ranting about people not reading, but it drives me crazy at work.)

I encounter people like this all the time. No one reads the big print let alone the small print. They just read the headlines.

It's really all subjective. Some people think it's silly to pay hundreds or thousands of dollars more to upgrade from an inside room to a balcony. Or thousands more to upgrade from a standard balcony to concierge level cabin. Or buy a Lexus over a Toyota, or any thing on a list of things that can be considered extravagant by some.

Agree! It's all relative.

I, too, am not in favor of the changes. I enjoy dressing up, and as someone said, you need to look respectable if invited to the Captain's table, and I do agree as I have been numerous times. That being said, I have several lightweight cocktail and long dresses that don't weigh as much as shoes! I know for men, it's a bit heavier, but one can be creative with a suit.

I just wonder how people get invited numerous times to the Captains table when we have never once been invited on about 30 cruises?