Eastern vs Western with a 5 y/o

trish99

Yes, I know this is a personal preference and they both have positives and negatives. I've also posted this on the NCL board, as well.

Here's our situation. We're taking our family on a cruise in October. DH and I, 57; son #1 and his wife, 30, along with their 5 y/r old son; and son #2 and his wife, 24. DH and I have cruised before, but first cruise for most of the others.

Right now, we have it narrowed down to Getaway, Western and the Escape, Eastern. Prices are comparable, Escape is slightly higher, but not significantly, considering it's a brand new ship. We've cruised both itineraries, but never with a young child. First time on either of the ships.

Any thoughts on the Western vs Eastern with a 5 y/o? Thoughts on the ships, themselves?

Thanks!

Are you questioning which ports are better for your family? It depends on which exact ports are on each itinerary. But, with a few exceptions, I've found most Caribbean islands to offer similar excursions. Some islands have a unique thing - like the turtle farm on Grand Cayman. It also depends on what type of activities your family likes.

Western on the Getaway would be my choice. More days in port the better. Especially if by chance your child does not like the kids club as not all do. Nassau and St Thomas are not my favorites. Western will be more exotic. Harvest Cay is still a bit of a mystery as it doesn't open until next year but sounds like for a family it should be fun and easy. Western looks slightly cheaper too.

Edited by trajan

Western on the Getaway would be my choice. More days in port the better. Especially if by chance your child does not like the kids club as not all do. Nassau and St Thomas are not my favorites. Western will be more exotic. Harvest Cay is still a bit of a mystery as it doesn't open until next year but sounds like for a family it should be fun and easy. Western looks slightly cheaper too.

Great points, thanks.

I would choose Western. I prefer port days to sea days. If you really want to stay on the ship it is easy to turn a port day into another ship day. If you are going crazy on the ship, pretty hard to turn a sea day into something else :). I don't like Nassau. I also think that Eastern is heavy on beaches and shopping whereas Western has some other options and beaches that are more kid friendly (like Cozumel). Can't go wrong with turtles and stingrays at Grand Cayman either.