Port Day ? Alaska

u2harmony

I will be sailing to Alaska the summer of 2016 on the Ruby. I have booked excursions for myself and my husband for all ports except Juneau. For Juneau, I have booked my husband only, on an adventure excursion that isn't something I would enjoy, so I am looking forward to a few hours on the ship to treat myself to hopefully a spa visit. Does anyone know if they offer spa specials while in port, or is it always full price? Also, I assume there will still be dining options open while in port as well?

Thanks so much in advance! :)

Of course there are dining options on the ship on port days.

As to spa specials, our experience is that it depends on how booked up the spa is. If they are booked nearly full, there will not be specials. However, more commonly bookings are slow on port days and specials are offered to encourage people to fill those slots. We've seen "across the board" 20% off specials but we've also seen bigger discounts on certain services. It totally depends on how the bookings are going! They also sometimes offer sampler deals where you can choose what you wish from a number of "mini-services" at significant discounts.

So the OP is going to hang back and let her hubby go on the excursion. The ship will be a virtual ghost town but there will be quite a few stay aboard for various reasons. Loungers near the pool will be available most of the time you are in port etc. Meals will be served at the IC, HC, pizzeria and grill. I have always seen spa specials offered when in port. They will enclose a flier with your Patters the night before or you can go ask them and schedule ahead. Ships calling on AK ports seem to have most of the pax get off. Happy cruising.

The wonderful thing about docking in Juneau is the ships dock literally downtown. It is very easy to stay on board and relax and also to get off and walk around downtown Juneau. There are many beautiful shops for window shopping!! The tram up to the top of the hills around Juneau also departs within steps of the ships.

Juneau is a perfect port to have the best of both worlds - staying on board and walking around.

Enjoy - we are returning to Alaska on the Ruby this May!

It is true that most ships are docked where you can literally walk a few steps to the shops but....twice I have been docked at the AJ dock which is a long walk and using the shuttle is better. Some ships will tender passengers ashore too if it is a busy port day.

There are so many wonderful opportunities in Juneau that I wouldn't stay on board. I'm not sure spa services are as popular on Alaska cruises so you may find prices are about the same on a sea day or during your Victoria stop?