Puerto Rico financial problems/effect?

DFWJean&Bill

We are reading of the financial issues in Puerto Rico, mentions "Government Services" may shut down in December. Will this affect any of us (port/city) flying in/out, staying in Puerto Rico for cruises? What exactly is run by the government there?

I would assume airports:D I doubt they would choose them to shutdown though:)

Edited by bouhunter

I am a local. Airport and ports will not be affected by any possible government shutdown. SJU airport is actually managed by a private company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who pays the company that manages the airport? And I am not asking that in any sarcastic way. I'm just curious.

Edited by Ocean Boy

Who pays the company that manages the airport? And I am not asking that in any sarcastic way. I'm just curious.

Ok dont worry.

Actually the private company is managing the airport since 2013. Government leased the property for 40 years to manage and upgrade the airport. I am not an expert in this matter but I though that the private one get his income from airlines and then do lease payments to Government.

I was in San Juan over the holidays in 1995-6 and remember going to El Morro for a tour and it was shut down because of the U.S. Federal shut down. As I recall, there were still flights coming and going, but it was kind of a shock to see our government shut down.:rolleyes:

People, what's going on in Puerto Rico is a game of brinkmanship between our lousy government and the various bondholder groups that own our debt. The government has been threatening a shut down as a clumsy leverage tool.

In reality, the local main government is barely living hand to mouth, but it can't really shut down. The money is still coming in, just not in the volume that the bureaucrats would like. But it's nothing that the casual or occasional visitor to the island will notice.

The island's top two attractions - The San Juan National Historic Site and the El Yunque National Forest - are run by the United States federal government.

The Ports Authority is supposed to be self sustaining, and at least - as you have read - the main airport - SJU - is operated by a private company. Security at the airports and ports is overseen by the feds.

Cleaning and maintenance of most roads and public areas are mostly done by the municipal governments.

Security and emergency services are not threatened. The federal government also keeps a sizable law enforcement apparatus on the island. Customs and immigration and border enforcement is the responsibility of the feds.

Puerto Rico banks are U.S.-chartered banks and insured by the FDIC. The ATMs will not run out of money and your credit cards will continue to work.

Puerto Ricans, in general, are taking this manufactured crisis in stride. There are no mass demonstrations, rioting or looting. Life is pretty much normal, as normal as it can get under a lousy government. Just like in Chicago, Hawaii, California or New York.

Relax and enjoy your vacation or cruise.

P.S. - Puerto Rico's debt problem. Our debt is about 70% of GDP. Research what the U.S. debt is. Well over a 100% of GDP. Also look at the debt of many states, especially Illinois, New York and California. See Puerto Rico and look what is looming for the United States as a whole in the near future. At least Puerto Rico has a head start in dealing with the issue.

People, what's going on in Puerto Rico is a game of brinkmanship between our lousy government and the various bondholder groups that own our debt. The government has been threatening a shut down as a clumsy leverage tool.

In reality, the local main government is barely living hand to mouth, but it can't really shut down. The money is still coming in, just not in the volume that the bureaucrats would like. But it's nothing that the casual or occasional visitor to the island will notice.

The island's top two attractions - The San Juan National Historic Site and the El Yunque National Forest - are run by the United States federal government.

The Ports Authority is supposed to be self sustaining, and at least - as you have read - the main airport - SJU - is operated by a private company. Security at the airports and ports is overseen by the feds.

Cleaning and maintenance of most roads and public areas are mostly done by the municipal governments.

Security and emergency services are not threatened. The federal government also keeps a sizable law enforcement apparatus on the island. Customs and immigration and border enforcement is the responsibility of the feds.

Puerto Rico banks are U.S.-chartered banks and insured by the FDIC. The ATMs will not run out of money and your credit cards will continue to work.

Puerto Ricans, in general, are taking this manufactured crisis in stride. There are no mass demonstrations, rioting or looting. Life is pretty much normal, as normal as it can get under a lousy government. Just like in Chicago, Hawaii, California or New York.

Relax and enjoy your vacation or cruise.

P.S. - Puerto Rico's debt problem. Our debt is about 70% of GDP. Research what the U.S. debt is. Well over a 100% of GDP. Also look at the debt of many states, especially Illinois, New York and California. See Puerto Rico and look what is looming for the United States as a whole in the near future. At least Puerto Rico has a head start in dealing with the issue.

Excellent explanation.

"Nada mas con el testigo"

I appreciate the info on the airport as well as Aviator's post. Puerto Rico is a beautiful country with a great heritage, culture and people. I always look forward to returning. I hope all works out.

Edited by Ocean Boy

I appreciate the info on the airport as well as Aviator's post. Puerto Rico is a beautiful country with a great heritage, culture and people. I always look forward to returning. I hope all works out.

Thanks, we hope so!