a la carte changes already for escape?

LMaxwell

Thank you for the info. We leave on the 11/21 and I have been trying to decide if the SDP would be worth it or should we just go ala carte. Looking at your receipts I am going to get the package.

I want to ask one question about the package and that is the 18% gratuity. I am assuming that will be added on our bill at the end of the cruise right?

You pay the 18% when you buy the package. So we saved gratuity money, too, since we only paid the 18% on the price of the package and not on the price of the expensive meals.

I think I see where the issue might be. You had the SDP but they credited it as UDP. I have to wonder if there is a separate POS entry for SDP that may behave differently at some point...

There is no issue. SDP and UDP are handled exactly the same by the restaurants. There has never once been a bit of communication from NCL to state otherwise. They haven't updated their POS systems to show SDP, because they don't need to. It works identically the same as UDP when dining in an individual restaurant.

Edited by LrgPizza

I do think it's disappointing that they will start charging for Margaritaville but my understanding from what I read that it seemed more of a move for crowd control. We booked this cruise in October or November of 2014 for a sailing Jan. 2nd, 2016. If a charge is going to be implemented it should be for future reservations not those that have been booked under the premise of it being included without additional charges. Having said that, I will still pay a fee of $4.95 (however, the article suggested they may charge $10) for the experience. While in port in the Bahamas, I'd rather stay on the ship and what better place to hang out than Margaritaville! :)

Still excited and can't wait for our sailing! 51 Days to Go!! :D

Or... to control crowds... NCL could keep their promise that it would be complimentary by adding more staff, improving the kitchen operations, making a grab and go option for people who don't want to sit at a table, and extend the hours that Margaritaville is open.... all of which would improve customer service and reduce wait times. If NCL charges money for Margaritaville, I'll just laugh if that's there way to deal with NCL's poor planning and management of a food operation like that.

Or... to control crowds... NCL could keep their promise that it would be complimentary by adding more staff, improving the kitchen operations, making a grab and go option for people who don't want to sit at a table, and extend the hours that Margaritaville is open.... all of which would improve customer service and reduce wait times. If NCL charges money for Margaritaville, I'll just laugh if that's there way to deal with NCL's poor planning and management of a food operation like that.

I suggested the same and crickets...

I think NCL should keep it comp for breakfast/lunch and add more upscale items and then charge for dinner. that's the best of all worlds.

It gives guests MORE spaces to be (less crowding elsewhere). they honor their advertising by providing two meals complimentary. They open up a new revenue stream/specialty dining evening venue utilizing infrastructure already in place by just adding new dishes and not needing rebranding.

To those who say they are disappointed but will pay anyways; well, that's why fees get introduced. If you are upset but pay anyway that is the same as being happy to pay. If Margaritaville goes to a pay venue I simply won't make a purchase. I'm inclined at this point to cash out my OBC and use it for third party shore excursions. No sense to reward anti-customer behavior by a hospitality company. But we shall see what the near future brings.

We've seen documentation from the NCL website saying that SDP is one Entree, even if not being enforced yet (see Press it Ups earlier post). To make that work there would have to be a separate POS entry for the two plans in some manner. If there is, this would be in line with reports of servers putting apps and sides on SDP users for other diners.

It's entirely possible that new code is not in place yet or not being used due to training or whatever, but since right now the SDP is considered the same as UDP for charging purposes, that may engender the confusion we have seen. Coding something as UDP should theoretically allow for unlimited entrees as well if I understand the package correctly.

Alternately, at some point the UDP will cease to exist and some transformation may occur there.

And of course, it would help if NCL would be more definitive and publish a chart for each venue.

You pay the 18% when you buy the package. So we saved gratuity money, too, since we only paid the 18% on the price of the package and not on the price of the expensive meals.

There is no issue. SDP and UDP are handled exactly the same by the restaurants. There has never once been a bit of communication from NCL to state otherwise. They haven't updated their POS systems to show SDP, because they don't need to. It works identically the same as UDP when dining in an individual restaurant.

We've seen documentation from the NCL website saying that SDP is one Entree, even if not being enforced yet (see Press it Ups earlier post). To make that work there would have to be a separate POS entry for the two plans in some manner. If there is, this would be in line with reports of servers putting apps and sides on SDP users for other diners.

It's entirely possible that new code is not in place yet or not being used due to training or whatever, but since right now the SDP is considered the same as UDP for charging purposes, that may engender the confusion we have seen. Coding something as UDP should theoretically allow for unlimited entrees as well if I understand the package correctly.

Alternately, at some point the UDP will cease to exist and some transformation may occur there.

And of course, it would help if NCL would be more definitive and publish a chart for each venue.

I believe the terms and conditions of the UDP said the same thing about additional entree (main course) and it was written on the menus. Nothing new, second entree (main course) has always been charged $10.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I think you misunderstood. Under both UDP and SDP, only one ENTREE per person per meal. There is an additional charge of $10 per entree. There are no limits on apps, sides, or desserts for either. The ONLY difference between the two is that the UDP can go to multiple specialty restaurants without it counting against a specified number of meals versus the amount of days purchased on the SDP.

Ok. I never had the UDP so didn't pay that close attention, but I know people have said that wasn't enforced and they ordered whatever?

I believe the terms and conditions of the UDP said the same thing about additional entree (main course) and it was written on the menus. Nothing new, second entree (main course) has always been charged $10.

I think it will be interesting to see how NCL handles changes to the menu with this A LA CARTE pricing. In a land restaurant, you can do things like making a steak "oscar style" (adding crab) or doing surf and turf etc.....Usually this is just an upcharge on the entree. Wonder how is works at sea?

Ok. I never had the UDP so didn't pay that close attention, but I know people have said that wasn't enforced and they ordered whatever?
Sometimes rules are put by the wayside by some of the ships. What happens on one ship, doesn't necessarily happen on another. Someone reported that they were only allowed 1 starter, 1 entree and 1 dessert with the SDP, while others have reported the opposite, that it was unlimited. This is when I wish NCL would still be posting on here, because there gets to be so many rumors and people get all upset, when we really don't know the definite answer from NCL.

I did. Having not had the UDP and seeing people claim they ordered multiple entrees without charge, I made the apparently incorrect assumption that it was truly unlimited and that the SDP had the limits.

Based on posts, I don't think I am the only one so confused, so hopefully this will clarify matters. I still think NCL needs to be clearer.

I think you misunderstood. Under both UDP and SDP, only one ENTREE per person per meal. There is an additional charge of $10 per entree. There are no limits on apps, sides, or desserts for either. The ONLY difference between the two is that the UDP can go to multiple specialty restaurants without it counting against a specified number of meals versus the amount of days purchased on the SDP.

Someone reported that they were only allowed 1 starter, 1 entree and 1 dessert with the SDP

Have they?

The report from the Escape was from before they could have actually eaten there, so they must have just asked the question (and it looks like they were given the wrong answer).

Maybe I've missed it, but I've not read about anyone actually being restricted with the SDP.

One entree IS being enforced, just as it is for UDP. It has always been that way. We are talking apps, sides, desserts. Again, it works the same for SDP as for UDP, and no NCL documentation shows differently.

Sometimes rules are put by the wayside by some of the ships. What happens on one ship, doesn't necessarily happen on another. Someone reported that they were only allowed 1 starter, 1 entree and 1 dessert with the SDP, while others have reported the opposite, that it was unlimited. This is when I wish NCL would still be posting on here, because there gets to be so many rumors and people get all upset, when we really don't know the definite answer from NCL.

I believe the confusion is about the Platinum meal. It has been reported on a few posts, that there is a restriction on this particular meal to only being able to have a starter, entree, and dessert. This is totally different from having either of the dining packages.

I did. Having not had the UDP and seeing people claim they ordered multiple entrees without charge, I made the apparently incorrect assumption that it was truly unlimited and that the SDP had the limits.

Based on posts, I don't think I am the only one so confused, so hopefully this will clarify matters. I still think NCL needs to be clearer.

I can't remember seeing anyone stating that they actually ordered multiple entrees on any of the Specialty dining plans.

I'd have to thread dig, I think it was somewhere in the massive Escape thread, scarily. Been following too many things recently with the new ship.

I'm really considering making a chart myself, time permitting.

Something like this (obviously needs more work):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1M2fq7q2sMMrqLdCPAfaA-JHrBd1qxjtdX4MjpFm1NjA/pubhtml

I can't remember seeing anyone stating that they actually ordered multiple entrees on any of the Specialty dining plans.

This is not completely true. The entree limit is only at: Cagney’s and Le Bistro. Here is the line from the terms of the UDP:

Additional main courses in Cagney’s and Le Bistro will be charged at $10.00

At the others there is no entree limit.

6&8

I'd have to thread dig, I think it was somewhere in the massive Escape thread, scarily. Been following too many things recently with the new ship.

I'm really considering making a chart myself, time permitting.

Something like this (obviously needs more work):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1M2fq7q2sMMrqLdCPAfaA-JHrBd1qxjtdX4MjpFm1NjA/pubhtml

How sad is it that people have to make a chart to remember what was promised at what time??

Ncl has gotten too complicated.

Have they?

The report from the Escape was from before they could have actually eaten there, so they must have just asked the question (and it looks like they were given the wrong answer).

Maybe I've missed it, but I've not read about anyone actually being restricted with the SDP.

Here is the post. I did ask if you could switch out the dessert for a side, but no answer.

Quote: Originally Posted by BirdTravels View Post

So I am on the Escape right now and you are WRONG. SDP provides a single app, entree, dessert. Not like the old UDP.

In fact, if you choose inexpensive items, the SDP can cost more than buying a la carte.

Here is the post. I did ask if you could switch out the dessert for a side, but no answer.

Quote: Originally Posted by BirdTravels View Post

So I am on the Escape right now and you are WRONG. SDP provides a single app, entree, dessert. Not like the old UDP.

In fact, if you choose inexpensive items, the SDP can cost more than buying a la carte.

Yes, that's the one from yesterday, which was posted before Cagneys had even been open.

I believe the confusion is about the Platinum meal. It has been reported on a few posts, that there is a restriction on this particular meal to only being able to have a starter, entree, and dessert. This is totally different from having either of the dining packages.

Not confused, read the post and it said SDP. See below:

Quote:

Originally Posted by BirdTravels View Post

How sad is it that people have to make a chart to remember what was promised at what time??

Ncl has gotten too complicated.

When a maitre D schmoozes and glad hands you for a tip and asks how everything is be sure to let them know exactly how difficult and frustrating planning for a meal on a cruise has become. that's what I plan to do.

Yes, that's the one from yesterday, which was posted before Cagneys had even been open.
That is my point, so many rumors added to real experiences, it is really confusing. Again, wish NCL would post on here and tell us what the real deal is, but I certainly understand why they haven't come back. Edited by NLH Arizona

Not confused, read the post and it said SDP. See below:

Quote:

Originally Posted by BirdTravels View Post

The person posted that from the ship before Cagney's had even opened. Therefore it was NOT a first hand experience. So far, 100% of the actual first hand experiences state the exact same thing - that SDP and UDP work the same way. If you want to take this account as factual when they hadn't even eaten there, and ignore the actual facts that have been posted, so be it.

The person posted that from the ship before Cagney's had even opened. Therefore it was NOT a first hand experience. So far, 100% of the actual first hand experiences state the exact same thing - that SDP and UDP work the same way. If you want to take this account as factual when they hadn't even eaten there, and ignore the actual facts that have been posted, so be it.
I understand that, but with folks posting things they apparently pull from the air or from somewhere else, it is confusing to many. Never said, I took their account as factual, actually I took what you and Keith Jenner said, because you both had actual experiences and that is why I asked the other poster a question (too see if I would actually get a response), but many folks are confused because of these that are just guessing or making up things (assuming just to make NCL look bad) and when they post, folks believe them.