ordering in the dining room?

kenie

I've had more issues with slow eaters. I sat with a couple one night a few cruises back. It took the gentleman a couple of hours to eat very little off his plate. If I'm in a hurry I ask for a small table otherwise I'm on vacation so what's the hurry? I think it's incredibly rude that so many people take off the minute they finish eating whether there has been one course or 10. Best to ask for a table for two if speed is in order.

I know some people that snack all day long so they don't tend to eat a lot at meals. I generally will have an app, salad and the main because I'm not chowing down all day. There were strawberries in chocolate every day in my cabana on my last cruise. It was rare when I had any. There were some people that ate all 6 within minutes. I guess I could be called a glutton because I order more than one course. Seems odd to me.

I hope no one thought I was referring to an ordinary dinner of three or four courses. My reference really pertained to those who order what most would consider an inordinate quantity of food and take half the night to consume it. Of course, you should order what appeals to you and don't have to wolf it down but eat at a comfortable pace.

What you describe if 'perfectly ordinary'. :)

Everybody has a right to eat at their own pace - some people unfortunately have medical conditions and cannot eat quickly. Some people are gluttons and never stop eating. So pleased I am not a waiter. This is the reason we always ask for a table for two.

Of course. I'm not saying people have to be quick at eating. On the same token why must it be said some people are gluttons? I can't tell you how much I hate that word. I've got well over 400 cruise days on various lines. Not once have I ever seen a person eat 24/7. Does that mean you never sleep since you have? I think it's a great idea to eat at a table for 2 if you are so inclined.

Edited by cruz chic

I've had more issues with slow eaters. I sat with a couple one night a few cruises back. It took the gentleman a couple of hours to eat very little off his plate. If I'm in a hurry I ask for a small table otherwise I'm on vacation so what's the hurry? I think it's incredibly rude that so many people take off the minute they finish eating whether there has been one course or 10. Best to ask for a table for two if speed is in order.

QUOTE]

Sometimes I want to catch the next showing in the screening room, or am meeting friends for drinks in the Piano Bar or want to go to the main stage show. Eating in the MDR shouldn't mean you have to cancel plans for the rest of the evening. I think devoting two hours to dinner and conversation is adequate. Why should I be held hostage by an abnormally slow eater or a glutton? Besides, when the meal is over and everybody is just sitting there staring at each other, somebody has to make the first move, don't they? Are they always rude for doing so?

Why not ask for a table for 2? The word glutton is so offensive. I remember eating lunch with some people one time and this skin and bones woman felt the need to say "I don't want clam chowder, it's got to much fat". I feel sorry for people like that that can't enjoy even a simple bowl of soup without making comments.

Years ago when sailed on NCL and were seated at a table for 8, one man ordered everything on the menu.

It certainly did hold up everything -- over 3 hours before we left the dining room.

That happened on the first night and we asked for a table for 2 for the rest of the cruise. We did want to see some shows and watching a man eat everything was not the kind of show we were interested in.

Maybe he's the reason why NCL is now charging for certain entrees in the MDR :p

I hope no one thought I was referring to an ordinary dinner of three or four courses. My reference really pertained to those who order what most would consider an inordinate quantity of food and take half the night to consume it. Of course, you should order what appeals to you and don't have to wolf it down but eat at a comfortable pace.

What you describe if 'perfectly ordinary'. :)

Thx for the clarification. I was at a loss as to what is considered eating "to much".

Of course. I'm not saying people have to be quick at eating. On the same token why must it be said some people are gluttons? I can't tell you how much I hate that word. I've got well over 400 cruise days on various lines. Not once have I ever seen a person eat 24/7. Does that mean you never sleep since you have? I think it's a great idea to eat at a table for 2 if you are so inclined.

I am sorry you hate the word glutton, I did not mean to offend you. I am sure it doesn't mean eating 24/7. According to my dictionary it means "an excessively greedy eater" and I have seen a few of them onboard HAL, which is fine if that is what they want to do. I just don't have to watch. :)

That would have been a turn off for me. Sure, now and then, someone might want two appetizers but all courses every night....... I can't imagine how long dinner took each evening. :)

Hi Sail7Seas !

For dinner at MDR as a solo, It's about 2h30 min (average time)..!

I like it so much (talking with people on the side tables, taking time to remember my day, etc.) ! Three courses menu ! Wow ! And sometime, I admit, I take «30 and up» crab legs to comfort myself*..!

Holacanada

* sorry for my relative english written .

Edited by holacanada

My usual MDR practice is four courses: appetizer, soup, main, dessert. But on some evenings I might go to five, if there's a particularly good pair of appetizers.

If the desserts are run of the mill (by far the weakest element of the menu in my view) I might substitute a chilled fruit soup (by far the strongest items on the menu) for dessert.

So chilled soups are available AFTER the appetizer course? I've occasionally be tempted to ask for a chilled soup when nothing appealed for dessert, but thought they were not available as I understood the kitchen set up each course separately. ( I really wish they would post the dessert menu along with the dinner menu in the MDR).

The portions are considerably larger in the specialty restaurants. Most people wouldn't be as inclined to do that.

While the entrée was large in the pinnacle, I found the starters to be tiny. Maybe it was just my choices, but I'm glad I started with at least 2.

553a6b40d9b3b0f521c82754336c3f24.jpg

The crab cakes were about 4 bites total. I'm glad my husband and I didn't decided to share and each got our own.

Edited by sherilyn70

While the entrée was large in the pinnacle, I found the starters to be tiny. Maybe it was just my choices, but I'm glad I started with at least 2.

553a6b40d9b3b0f521c82754336c3f24.jpg

The crab cakes were about 4 bites total. I'm glad my husband and I didn't decided to share and each got our own.

If you had that in the MDR it would likely be one and much smaller. When I first started going to the pinnacle back in 2008 they were about 5 times that size.

I am sorry you hate the word glutton, I did not mean to offend you. I am sure it doesn't mean eating 24/7. According to my dictionary it means "an excessively greedy eater" and I have seen a few of them onboard HAL, which is fine if that is what they want to do. I just don't have to watch. :)

You said in a prior post that some people never stop eating. If they wouldn't stop that would mean they were eating 24/7 wouldn't it? You don't have to watch but it seems to me you are if you say they never stop. How would you know that they never stop otherwise. I'm more interested in being outside, visiting ports etc then spying on what everyone is eating and saying mean spirited things like people are gluttons.

Edited by cruz chic

You said in a prior post that some people never stop eating. If they wouldn't stop that would mean they were eating 24/7 wouldn't it? You don't have to watch but it seems to me you are if you say they never stop. How would you know that they never stop otherwise. I'm more interested in being outside, visiting ports etc then spying on what everyone is eating and saying mean spirited things like people are gluttons.

Sorry Cruz Chic, I wouldn't class noticing gluttony as spying. One sometimes just happens to notice without meaning to. Unfortunately, gluttony exists regardless whether you approve of the word or its meaning.

Sorry Cruz Chic, I wouldn't class noticing gluttony as spying. One sometimes just happens to notice without meaning to. Unfortunately, gluttony exists regardless whether you approve of the word or its meaning.

Has it really sunk to the level of picking apart someone's post and choice of words rather than discussing the topic?

For myself, I have often ordered a soup and two appies rather than an entree. It has never held anyone up with their meal.

Well said! Thanks for getting back to the substance of the topic.

I initially read that as "we order apples and soup only..."

:eek:

Dave :D :D

I read it the same way twice. :) I was scratching my head. Huh?

Soup and two appies is a fine dinner. Often the appies appeal more than an entrée. :)

I'm the one who first raised the issue of holding the table up. I didnt intend to say people shouldn't order what they want. Since the OP wasnt familair with cruise dining, I was pointing out that the server is likely to pace the meal around what they order. I have sat many times while a table mate ordered multiple appetizers when I ordered one....and theirs were brought out in succession while the entrees are held until everyone is ready for them. If I enjoy my tablemates, I dont really care. My intent was to make sure the OP knew that everyone's meal is paced together, so they could consider that with their choices and instructions to the server.