After your first pacific islands cruise....

chezzyr

Did you repeat the adventure, return to some of the destinations or go somewhere completely different next?

We recently returned from our first cruise which happened to be our first trip overseas in 20 years and first time in the South Pacific. Visited: Port Vila, Lifou, Mystery Island, Isle of Pines and Noumea.

I think Isle of Pines/ile des pins holds a piece of my heart with Mystery Island close behind. I am a keen photographer and love places of beauty, nature etc

In my position would you fly to Ile des Pins and stay a week or two....or would you pick a completely new cruising adventure? Any port recommendations? We did not get to Santo though it was in the original itinerary and have never been to Fiji or Bora Bora etc.....

We tend to go new places though we have been back to some a few times. If we are cruising we certainly will look for a new itinerary. For land holidays, we may go back to the same country but a different area (e.g. North Island and South Island of NZ or different regions in the UK). There are so many different places and so little time (or money :D) so we choose new experiences where we can.

Our first cruise was exactly the same itinerary as you did. For our second cruise we did Noumea, Isle of Pines (my absolute favourite), Port Denarau and Suva and were supposed to do Mare but a cyclone moved that to Mystery Island and then another cyclone moved that to an extra sea day but we didn't mind as the Fiji stops had given us the difference we were after.

We also shook it up by changing lines. First we did P&O and second we did Carnival. Slight preference for P&O but that could be attributed to the excitement of first cruise, no complaints about Carnival and our teenager slightly preferred the Carnival kids set up. Currently planning a third back with P&O.

I think I would be happy if I could do one different stop in the same area but if that wasn't available all the stops would be ok by me again. We have taken to doing cruises for our annual 'cheap' holiday and then doing a longer trip further afield every second year. It is just so relaxing, it cant be beaten if a rest is what you are looking for. Also found it the perfect holiday for travelling with an only child.

We are in the same boat (ha, ha) as you as we did our first ever cruise to the South Pacific earlier this year. We're now looking to book another cruise next year. Unless we choose a repositioning cruise we're likely to go to pretty much the exact same ports again and I'm fine with that. I loved all the places we went and one day in each wasn't enough so I'm keen to go back.

I'd also happily look at other itineraries but find the South Pacific cruises to be the most economical from Sydney. We are really just after a relaxing beach holiday so visiting new places/revisiting places we loved last time are both fine with us.

We are in the same boat (ha, ha) as you as we did our first ever cruise to the South Pacific earlier this year. We're now looking to book another cruise next year. Unless we choose a repositioning cruise we're likely to go to pretty much the exact same ports again and I'm fine with that. I loved all the places we went and one day in each wasn't enough so I'm keen to go back.

I'd also happily look at other itineraries but find the South Pacific cruises to be the most economical from Sydney. We are really just after a relaxing beach holiday so visiting new places/revisiting places we loved last time are both fine with us.

You are not alone, the cruise lines still feel that those itineraries are popular enough for them to keep offering them and still fill the ships.

We prefer cruises that don't involve flying, but unfortunately sometimes it can't be avoided. We can cope with a one way flight these days, so sometimes a re positioning cruise has good ports, and prices. Shop around, get a good TA.

All my cruises have been to different places but I'm now thinking of going back and doing NZ again and will also look at repositioning cruises. Price is a big factor.

I would also love to go further out of this region and do Alaska & the Mediterranean.

We did a south pacific cruise on the Carnival Spirit in 2013 & again 2014 then the Carnival Legend in 2015 and booked the Legend again for 2016, they are just a great value family holiday especially the last 2 as we got a great deal under $60 a day.

Also looking at a Sydney to/from Hawaii cruise either way in 2017, they are addictive.

Those Hawaii transpacific's include NZ and Tahiti with Moorea and Bora Bora, so well worth the air far to Hawaii or back.:D

I have to agree those Hawaii trans pacifics are just the best. I am even thinking of doing another one in 2017. Mind you it must have a stop at Bora Bora!

Chez

I have cruised the South Pacific four times, (all on Royal ships, Radiance of the seas and Rhapsody) & we have always found new and fun things to do. We have three more South Pacific cruises booked for early next year, two on Legend of the Seas and one on Voyager.

There's so many things that change the dynamic of your cruise.

The number one thing for us is meeting new people. For us, that makes our cruise. Also different room types and of course the ship itself, with the Cruise Director and Activities Manager.

We did two cruises this May/June in the Mediterianian for three weeks total and it was FULL ON! (But absolutely amazing!!!!)

We love the relaxed atmosphere to of a cruise to the South Pacific. Grabbing a towel, sunscreen and you're ready for your day on land!

Been three times: Royal Carribean, Carnival, and Princess. I think I've finished with the those South Pacific Islands for now. :D

Surprisingly, I haven't been much to the Vanuatu Islands except by land.

Though would like to see Tonga, Samoa, PNG, Bora Bora and other French Polynesian Islands.

Edited by icat2000

It is interesting because I am by nature a quieter person so I was very much an observer on our first cruise and what I enjoyed the most was the relaxed vibe and just hanging out with my partner or time by myself. It WASN'T about meeting people or partying. And I think that is the beauty of these cruises, one can find their own way to enjoy things - you don't have to be involved in the entertainment etc if you don't want to. After my initial doubts about cruising I can now say I would do it again - in fact I'd even be game to do one by myself :)

It is interesting because I am by nature a quieter person so I was very much an observer on our first cruise and what I enjoyed the most was the relaxed vibe and just hanging out with my partner or time by myself. It WASN'T about meeting people or partying. And I think that is the beauty of these cruises, one can find their own way to enjoy things - you don't have to be involved in the entertainment etc if you don't want to. After my initial doubts about cruising I can now say I would do it again - in fact I'd even be game to do one by myself :)

Go for it. I cruise mainly on my own. Couple of times I've gone with my mum or friends. But I say 80% of the time I'm cruising solo. You can interact with passengers as much or as little as you want.

I met some really nice people, some interesting people, and some people I hope I never see again. :D

I went on my first cruise in 1984 on the Canberra and loved it. When my son was in Year 12 in 2011 we took him for what was his last family holiday. My daughter has CP and uses a wheelchair so we have found this a great way to travel. Since then we have travelled with P & O 10 times and have visited all of the Islands and PNG.This year we also flew to Singapore and cruised back on the Carnival Spirit. Our next cruise is on the Aria visiting Tonga, Fiji, Port Vila and Noumea.

You asked about staying at Isle of Pines after our first visit I felt like you but although very beautiful there is not much there. Our favourite place is Santo and we are going to fly there and would like to stay for about 10 days there is so much to see and a few nice restaurants to try and it is somewhere where the locals treat tourists with respect which unfortunately not always the case.

After our first South Pacific cruise, which ended in is missing Vila and Lifou due to bad weather but picked up Champagne Bay to shelter from the storm, we travelled back to Vanuatu for a land based holiday later that year. We spent some time in Vila and then went up to Luganville to explore that island more. For us, cruising gives us a glimpse of a culture and if we like it we usually find time to make it back for further exploration.

You asked about staying at Isle of Pines after our first visit I felt like you but although very beautiful there is not much there. Our favourite place is Santo and we are going to fly there and would like to stay for about 10 days there is so much to see and a few nice restaurants to try and it is somewhere where the locals treat tourists with respect which unfortunately not always the case.

I think that is what makes Isle of Pines so appealing to me, the tranquility and natural beauty of the place - good for the soul. Even a week would allow me to pace myself, go stalk some birds or butterflies if I felt like it, meet some locals and get a better appreciation of their lifestyle, and go stand in the natural pool multiple times and have fish swarming around me.

Santo was on our original itinerary but had to be cancelled sadly. I even had a private tour organised for when we got there. Very disappointing. Might have to consider that as a future fly/stay option.

After our first South Pacific cruise, which ended in is missing Vila and Lifou due to bad weather but picked up Champagne Bay to shelter from the storm, we travelled back to Vanuatu for a land based holiday later that year. We spent some time in Vila and then went up to Luganville to explore that island more. For us, cruising gives us a glimpse of a culture and if we like it we usually find time to make it back for further exploration.

Yes, I believe this was my original intention of cruising, to get a taste of a place. Luganville was cancelled on our cruise due to wharf construction. I don't know how long this will be continuing for but fly/stay sounds like a pretty good plan. Would really love to visit Santo. Choices....

I have sailed to the Pacific Islands on P&O 3 times but having then moved to Vanuatu I wanted to cruise to other places.

Since then I have done Asia (Singapore to Shanghai) on Mariner of the Seas, Alaska on Radiance and my next cruise is to New Zealand on Explorer.

Since discovering Royal Caribbean I am now as interested in the ship I choose as the ports I am visiting as the ship has become the main reason I am cruising and not just a form of transport to the ports.

I am even considering a transatlantic to have a lot more sea days!